Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #58: Brothers-in-Arms

Guts wondered what the device was, and what purposed it served. A replacement eye, something else? It was clearly mechanical, but how, and why? Perhaps it wasn't even important and just superficial. He did not remember seeing that sigil before, but it could be a manufacturer's mark or something, like on weapons. He slipped the device in his pocket, after quickly showing the symbol to Nerwen and Eric, he would show it to Hestia, next time they'd see each other. He decided not to comment on Nerwen's dealing with Eric. Were it up to him... His first thought was that he would cut the Nord down where he stood, but was that really right? This wasn't an army at all, and how much loyalty did Eric really owe them? Would Guts not have done the same if it were the other way around? Perhaps. Still, he disobeyed his Leader's direct orders. It would be best to let the Elf deal with it her way. she was intelligent, after all, not to mention occasionally terrifying. The raider really was getting old.

Nerwen looks over to Eric. The blood ritual had healed her hurts but not quietened the forboding sense of things moving beyond her control. Speaking to the Nord while Guts inspected the corspe of Reno, she said quietly.

You turned your back on me. Others have done that before from fear or reverence, but I expected neither of you. Whatever Reno was to you before, he had clearly made a deal with something that gave him that eye. Can you say what the price he paid was, and whether it meant good or ill for the city?

Nerwen held up her hand

No matter, that is beside the point. The question is, what shall I do with you? A man of the north who wraps himself in pride and ferocity like a fur. Turning from battle, would your old companions given you a share of the spoils after? What have you to say?

Eric chuckled gloomily. "I forfeited my right to share in the spoils when I stepped down from the fight." He thought that was the most obvious action considering the events, but apparently the Elf needed it spelled out for her. Did it really cross her mind to reward someone who didn't give it his everything to win the battle, someone who even turned from a fight. Inside, he mocked the very thought. How ridiculous! If a man wants something, he fights and takes it or finds other ways to procure the things desired, obviously. Only the weak live from charity.

The Nord watched Guts pry out the odd eye Reno had. Right now, the thing he'd want to do most was show Godricsleif through the back of the old raider's skull. The man annoyed the living hell out of Eric. Nerwen, however, seemed to respect the guy, so apparently the character had to have something of worth, but Eric hadn't found out yet and probably never would.

When Guts flashed the symbol on the eyeball, Eric recognized it immediatly. The Trident. It was the same symbol the automatons and scientists at Jolly Roger's Grotto wore. "That's the symbol of the Trident Company. They make all kinds of sickening stuff, bunch of degenerates."

Mockingly, Guts clapped his hands: "Well well, how noble of you to not want an old, chipped sword or a few firecrackers." The nord seemed almost proud of turning down the loot, and he had handily circumvented explaining himself. The raider despised him. "Trident Company, huh. Not our problem." Guts wanted to get out of here, it was an isolated fort after all, if the Bonapartes decided to silence the Heroes for their part in this, they would either have to submit or take out the entire fort, probably doable, but Guts was already tired.

I was waiting for Khorne's input before loot. In character, it'd make sense for him to forgo reward, but I wasn't just going to stiff another player out of phat lootz. There is still some justification for Eric getting loot, so Khorne can still change his mind.

Nerwen listened to Eric's words. They were resigned, almost melancholic. She lifted the sword and swung it. The barbarian in her rejoiced at such a strong and effective weapon.

I will hold this for the moment. Guts, do you want any of these bombs or are they mere firecrackers to you?

As for the symbol, old partners of Reno? That would make sense. We shall inform Hestia.

to clarify, Nerwen will keep conspirator and the bombs, if Guts asks for any of them (or Eric really) she will hand them over.

As a heads up, Nerwen can't use the weapon. With it being a Longsword and all. :wink:

"You can keep them, Nerwen."

Nerwen collected all the loot, and the party prepared to leave the office, when Hestia suddenly returned.

heroicanpc-hestiabonaparte.jpg

"I apologize, Nemo has been through a lot during these past weeks. First getting kidnapped and held captive, then having to fight his twin brother and watch him die... It will be a while before he's back to his old self, if ever. It might be that Reno got what he wanted in the end, after all. A change... But I digress. What did you find out about that peculiar eye Reno had put on to fool me? Trust me, I had my moments of doubt when Reno was acting as my husband, but he had two working eyes, so I had to push away my suspicions."

Party:

8408228263_04d2c16b16_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)

44 year old male human Raider

Level 24 1/3
*Natural Respite*
*Immune to
Weakened
Asleep
Confused
Blinded
Darkness
Water
and
Ice

Power:
(24+28+2)
, 35 for ranged attacks
(24+9+2)

Defense:

Health:
37/37
(7+23+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Lifestealer (WP: 28,
ice
- and
darkness
-elemental, attacks restore 3 health; dagger), Dancing Shoes (In the round after a '4' is rolled, the wearer can act twice; immunity to
asleep
confused
- and
blinded
-effects and to
darkness
and
ice
-elements; footwear), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power; immunity to
weakened
-effect; handwear), Crocodilian Armour (SP:4, immunity to
water
and
ice
; bodywear)

Inventory:
Stag Antlers (WP:10, intimidation; halberd), Fafnir (WP:14; greatsword), Throwing Knife (WP:9, light-elemental; retrievable), Throwing Axe (WP:5; retrievable), Hollow Dagger (WP:6, hollow; dagger), Spiked Collar (+1 Power; accessory), 9 Grand Potion, Grand Tonic, Elixir, 9 Remedy, 3 Phoenix Essence, 7 Mead, 6 Smelling Salts, 7 Nostrum, Metasimian Ale, 5 Smoke Bomb, Deadly Venom, 2 Neutralizer, Shovel, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Pickaxe, Bedroll, 3 Mythril Shard

8446391115_66a502300b_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (Chromeknight)
***Party Leader***

262 years old female Elven Shaman

Level 18 1/2
*Immune to Sealed*

Power:
(18+14)

Defense:

Health:
35/35
(9+17+6+3)

Ether:
28/28
(5+17+1+3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP:14,
water
-elemental, staff), Robe of the Archmage(SP:3, Max.Ether+5, immunity to sealed; bodywear), White Cloak (+3 Max Health; backwear)

Inventory:
Conspirator (WP:15,
darkness
-elemental, causes blinded-effect, longsword), Mourning Star (WP:9, inflicts fragile-effect; mace), Crocodile Handbag (Max. ether +2, immunity to
water
; accessory), Shackles of War (prevents anyone fleeing; accessory),
Sapphire
Emerald
Ruby
, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, 3 Grand Tonics, 2 Potions, 3 Elixirs, 2 Remedies, Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom, 3 Fire Bombd, 4 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Dirt Bombs, 2 Air Bombs, Bone, Shovel, Bedroll

eric_3_small_zpse4c9332e.jpg

Eric (Khorne)

30 year old Human Nord Raider

Level 22 1/3
*Natural Respite*
Immune to Fragile
*Evasion*
*Counterstrike*

Power:
(22+19)

Defense:

Health:
40/40
(8+21+7+4)

Gold:

Equipment:
Godricsleif (WP:19;
ice
- and
darkness
-elemental; greatsword), Counterstrike Gloves (Counter with strength equal to their level after getting hit by a Free Hit; handwear), Boots of Evasion (Wearer takes half damage in front row; footwear), Heavy Armor (SP:5, immunity to fragile; bodywear)

Inventory:
Drengazuli Grom'az (WP:6; dual strike, Lightning-elemental; axe), Crocodile Belt (Max. health +2, immunity to
water
; accessory), Sticky Gloves (+50% gold from stealing), 2 Diseased Silverfish Wings (WP:8, inflicts cursed; retrievable); 6 Silverfish Wings (WP:8; retrievable), Garnet (Earth), Scroll of Sleep, 12 Grand Potions, Venom, 8 Meads, 7 Smelling Salts, 3 Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Fire Bomb, Lightning Bomb

The raider holds out the Eye for Hestia to pick up. "It's mechanical, metal and glass, and according to our pacifistic friend here, the symbol on it belongs to a certain Trident Company. I have to ask, how will you and your husband deal with this situation... Falconer?"

"I have to ask, how will you and your husband deal with this situation... Falconer?"

Hestia looks at Guts slyly, then lowers her voice.

heroicanpc-hestiabonaparte.jpg

"As your leader I ask you to trust my jurisdiction. The Ji Pei family has never been our friends, but it is certainly news to me that Reno was collaborating with them, or at least their underlings, the Tritech Company. This puts the whole debacle with Jolly Roger into a new light, as well... My brother-in-law seems to have been guilty of more crimes than we ever knew. This makes me certain that I made the right decision in not reviving him. This city is already on the verge of ruination, even one person can tip the balance against our favour. I reckon the Bonaparte family will now lay low for some time and take time to recover from this incident. I truly hope Nemo will be able to rise to the seat of the admiral again, but if not, I must begin preparing my daughter to the position as soon as she returns from the north. Neron and Neredice know how many vultures there are inside this fort, just waiting for their chance to take over the fleet. The power must remain within the family, I will do my everything to ensure that."

"As for you three, I thank you for your services. You are all fast friends of the Bonapartes now. I hope the feeling of trust is mutual. Here is the 250 gold promised to each of you. Take care, and look after yourselves, my champions."

The heroes leave Fort Bonaparte with increased reputation with the family and heavier purses. Instead of using the Bonaparte shuttle boats, they sail to the harbour with their very own ship, El Alligaléon.

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!

Party:

8408228263_04d2c16b16_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)

44 year old male human Raider

Level 24 1/3
*Natural Respite*
*Immune to
Weakened
Asleep
Confused
Blinded
Darkness
Water
and
Ice

Power:
(24+28+2)
, 35 for ranged attacks
(24+9+2)

Defense:

Health:
37/37
(7+23+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Lifestealer (WP: 28,
ice
- and
darkness
-elemental, attacks restore 3 health; dagger), Dancing Shoes (In the round after a '4' is rolled, the wearer can act twice; immunity to
asleep
confused
- and
blinded
-effects and to
darkness
and
ice
-elements; footwear), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power; immunity to
weakened
-effect; handwear), Crocodilian Armour (SP:4, immunity to
water
and
ice
; bodywear)

Inventory:
Stag Antlers (WP:10, intimidation; halberd), Fafnir (WP:14; greatsword), Throwing Knife (WP:9, light-elemental; retrievable), Throwing Axe (WP:5; retrievable), Hollow Dagger (WP:6, hollow; dagger), Spiked Collar (+1 Power; accessory), 9 Grand Potion, Grand Tonic, Elixir, 9 Remedy, 3 Phoenix Essence, 7 Mead, 6 Smelling Salts, 7 Nostrum, Metasimian Ale, 5 Smoke Bomb, Deadly Venom, 2 Neutralizer, Shovel, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Pickaxe, Bedroll, 3 Mythril Shard

8446391115_66a502300b_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (Chromeknight)
***Party Leader***

262 years old female Elven Shaman

Level 18 1/2
*Immune to Sealed*

Power:
(18+14)

Defense:

Health:
35/35
(9+17+6+3)

Ether:
28/28
(5+17+1+3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP:14,
water
-elemental, staff), Robe of the Archmage(SP:3, Max.Ether+5, immunity to sealed; bodywear), White Cloak (+3 Max Health; backwear)

Inventory:
Conspirator (WP:15,
darkness
-elemental, causes blinded-effect, longsword), Mourning Star (WP:9, inflicts fragile-effect; mace), Crocodile Handbag (Max. ether +2, immunity to
water
; accessory), Shackles of War (prevents anyone fleeing; accessory),
Sapphire
Emerald
Ruby
, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, 3 Grand Tonics, 2 Potions, 3 Elixirs, 2 Remedies, Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom, 3 Fire Bombd, 4 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Dirt Bombs, 2 Air Bombs, Bone, Shovel, Bedroll

eric_3_small_zpse4c9332e.jpg

Eric (Khorne)

30 year old Human Nord Raider

Level 22 1/3
*Natural Respite*
Immune to Fragile
*Evasion*
*Counterstrike*

Power:
(22+19)

Defense:

Health:
40/40
(8+21+7+4)

Gold:

Equipment:
Godricsleif (WP:19;
ice
- and
darkness
-elemental; greatsword), Counterstrike Gloves (Counter with strength equal to their level after getting hit by a Free Hit; handwear), Boots of Evasion (Wearer takes half damage in front row; footwear), Heavy Armor (SP:5, immunity to fragile; bodywear)

Inventory:
Drengazuli Grom'az (WP:6; dual strike, Lightning-elemental; axe), Crocodile Belt (Max. health +2, immunity to
water
; accessory), Sticky Gloves (+50% gold from stealing), 2 Diseased Silverfish Wings (WP:8, inflicts cursed; retrievable); 6 Silverfish Wings (WP:8; retrievable), Garnet (Earth), Scroll of Sleep, 12 Grand Potions, Venom, 8 Meads, 7 Smelling Salts, 3 Nostrum, Mulled Wine, Fire Bomb, Lightning Bomb

Nerwen collected all the loot, and the party prepared to leave the office, when Hestia suddenly returned.

"I apologize, Nemo has been through a lot during these past weeks. First getting kidnapped and held captive, then having to fight his twin brother and watch him die... It will be a while before he's back to his old self, if ever. It might be that Reno got what he wanted in the end, after all. A change... But I digress. What did you find out about that peculiar eye Reno had put on to fool me? Trust me, I had my moments of doubt when Reno was acting as my husband, but he had two working eyes, so I had to push away my suspicions."

"For the sake of the word 'Free' in the name 'Free City', let's hope your husband doesn't get back to his old self." Eric annoyedly remarked.

The raider holds out the Eye for Hestia to pick up. "It's mechanical, metal and glass, and according to our pacifistic friend here, the symbol on it belongs to a certain Trident Company. I have to ask, how will you and your husband deal with this situation... Falconer?"

Despite his old outward appearance, the bald raider acted like he were some child with parental love issues, constantly seeking acknowledgment to make up for the attention his parents, or whoever used to take care of him, had never given him. He just couldn't seem to let any opportuniy go by without making a remark, to show off his perceived "higher" moral ground. Eric decided to ignore the old raider. Giving him attention is what he wants and as with little children, Eric believed that ignoring him would take away his pleasure at proviking in order to stand in the spotlights.

Eager to leave the fortress, Eric listened closely at what Hestia then had to say.

Hestia looks at Guts slyly, then lowers her voice.

"As your leader I ask you to trust my jurisdiction. The Ji Pei family has never been our friends, but it is certainly news to me that Reno was collaborating with them, or at least their underlings, the Tritech Company. This puts the whole debacle with Jolly Roger into a new light, as well... My brother-in-law seems to have been guilty of more crimes than we ever knew. This makes me certain that I made the right decision in not reviving him. This city is already on the verge of ruination, even one person can tip the balance against our favour. I reckon the Bonaparte family will now lay low for some time and take time to recover from this incident. I truly hope Nemo will be able to rise to the seat of the admiral again, but if not, I must begin preparing my daughter to the position as soon as she returns from the north. Neron and Neredice know how many vultures there are inside this fort, just waiting for their chance to take over the fleet. The power must remain within the family, I will do my everything to ensure that."

"As for you three, I thank you for your services. You are all fast friends of the Bonapartes now. I hope the feeling of trust is mutual. Here is the 250 gold promised to each of you. Take care, and look after yourselves, my champions."

The heroes leave Fort Bonaparte with increased reputation with the family and heavier purses. Instead of using the Bonaparte shuttle boats, they sail to the harbour with their very own ship, El Alligaléon.

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!

"You will never be my leader. As for your brother-in-law, his only crime was that he dreamt to change this rotten House and clean things up." the Nord spat angrily. He paced off, his mind wandering. The Bonapartes must fall and he'd love to be the one setting to torch to their House and dance in its ashes.

"You will never be my leader."

QM Note: Poor misguided Eric... As long as he belongs to Heroica, Hestia IS his leader. Somebody has to pay for all the free liquor in the Hall... :wink:

My Lady, thank you for your words. I can see that you have much to weigh and consider, we shall leave you to your work.

Thanks Sandy!