General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

Yeah the second wave was odd for sure and even odder if it is the last, if Lego wanted to milk us they would have given us a set we could army build with but I thought would be that maybe another big D2C set would work as we think the first one is selling well and if LOTR is for afol then why not. We could get most of what we are missing in one large gondor set

Well, a screenshot would indeed be helpful. But in any case, thanks for posting. If it's true (and I am open to that possibility) it is definitively a nice bit of information.

@Robbert: you mean the extended versions of the Hobbit? Or is there something I missed?

and yeah, everyone BUY LOTR and HOBBIT! I don't care if you hate the Pirate Ship. Buy three!

I've actually done that, just for the extra soldiers of the dead (and orcs, which you can never have too many). Now I'd gladly buy more of the quasi army builders (Uruk Hai Army, Orc Forge) if they were still available at fair prices, but they are not. I'm even considering getting more Black Gates (already have two) just for the extra orcs and eagles, but all of the current sets are really bad for army building. It seems all the reasonable ones were discontinued :-(

I was thinking about a possible re-release of LotR in 3D (like Jurassic Park last year). But as I said this is very far-fetched.

The next winter wave seems like the last realistic option to me.

Thanks for the feedback darthpunk, I didnt really think posting that would lead to an argument about my veracity. But oh well. I may send a screen to a moderator today. I just thought it was an interesting piece to this puzzle. Anyway, do you think TLG realizes that snagging second wave sales may be due to poor set decisions rather than lack of interest? Or does the reason not matter, just the bottom line? I think it should matter as there could be a lot of money on the table for them if they chose the "right" sets to produce.

Well the problem is that others have made claims only having posted a few times and then disappeared altogether. And when these claims haven't panned out it makes everyone suspect.

Yeah the second wave was odd for sure and even odder if it is the last, if Lego wanted to milk us they would have given us a set we could army build with but I thought would be that maybe another big D2C set would work as we think the first one is selling well and if LOTR is for afol then why not. We could get most of what we are missing in one large gondor set

Exactly. Figures like Arwen and the Mouth of Sauron are cool but they really aren't the main characters that people are clamoring for. Why put them in sets and waste molds on their head gear and hair? Why not included a Gondor Soldier in the Black Gate set instead of the Mouth of Sauron and give him a new helm mold instead? It could be re-used in at least one or two other sets rather than never being re-used. Or better yet why not have an army builder with Mordor Orcs and Gondor Soldiers in the wave? There are just so many questions that don't make sense if the second wave truly is the last.

The Council of Elrond is a cool set for AFOLs but I feel like it lacks a TON of appeal to kids. A Gondor Army builder on the other hand would appeal to AFOLs, castle fans, army collectors, and of course LotR fans. The helm and shield alone could be really useful for MOCs and castle fans and I am sure kids would love the shiny soldiers. Of course LotR and army building fans would eat them up in droves, especially if it's the only set with Gondor Soldiers. I would even venture to say for every Council of Elrond set sold, Lego could of probably sold two Gondor Soldier Army sets if it was done right. It just seems like such a no brainer. Faramir in his ranger garb that can easily be used as a normal Ranger of Ithilien, 2 Gondor Soldiers in full armor with shields, and 3 Mordor Orcs (preferably with new armor or at the least new print). Make the build a white wall piece that can be added on to Osgiliath if Lego chooses not to make a Minas Tirith set. BAM! Money in Lego's pocket!

Seriously, if Lego was going to end the LotR line after two waves why on earth would they make the Council of Elrond and Pirate Ship Ambush? Make a Gondor Soldier Army and Osgiliath set in their place and I bet sales would of doubled, if not tripled. I know I would buy like 20+ Gondor Army sets vs the 2 Council of Elrond I bought :hmpf_bad:

I would even venture to say for every Council of Elrond set sold, Lego could of probably sold two Gondor Soldier Army sets if it was done right.

You truly are being cautious

I bought 1 Elrond's Council for nearly 40% discount.... if a battle pack as you spoke of would be released id buy 20 times as much probably....

Basically all my cash would go into that.... I would even stay home and not go to any parties to buy more lol

Well I will definetly buy atleast Pirate Ship Ambush.... probably x2 if the price ever drops below 85€ shipped from amazon.uk (7€ shipping)

Edited by Alcarin

You truly are being cautious

I bought 1 Elrond's Council for nearly 40% discount.... if a battle pack as you spoke of would be released id buy 20 times as much probably...

Ya, I figured AFOLs would buy dozens but I was thinking more about the kids who make up the majority of Lego's sales. If each kid only buys 1 or 2 that's not a ton more than the Council of Elrond. Then again 1-2 Gondor Army sets is still double if they are buying 0-1 of the Council of Elrond :laugh:

the problem is, TLG will not read this forum :)

They do indeed. It's part of market research. It's not enough to know,your product is selling. You want to

know what people think about it, the good and the bad. Sites like this are treasure troves of feedback that

tends to be brutally honest. The impact of what we say can only be measured by future sets, and some times

its obvious they are getting the message.

I just sent off an email to customer service and will let everyone know what comes back. I would be floored if the LOTR line is finished as they still have so much left to do.

I've sent them a message too. I wouldn't count on a thorough answer though, but one can hope.

If not, at least they got the message that there are some people who'd love the LOTR line to stay.

I sent a message to Lego last week and got the following response:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I very glad to hear what HUGE fans, both you and your son are! We always enjoying hearing from our long time fans. The Lord of The Rings has been very popular over the last few years. The movies have only increased the popularity. I first read the Hobbit back in 1972 and have been a fan ever since. I cannot tell you about anything that may be coming out in the future. Our design doesn't give us any information until it is release time. They are afraid we may let a secret slip out to one of the fans we talk to. I agree. There are many characters that are very important and not been included in a set yet. You never know! We may get them yet!

Your ideas for Gondor to be part of the sets sounds great and we're happy you took the time to share your ideas with us. I know this might be difficult to hear, but at the moment we can't accept suggestions about what fans want us to make for new LEGO toys. I'm sure that this rule may seem rigid, especially for someone who simply has a great idea they wish to share with us. However, for legal reasons, we have to follow this policy to avoid confusion about the origin of LEGO toys.

I understand the hate towards Pirate Ship Ambush if it replaces another better LoTR set but I still love it and plan to buy another 2. A fleet of 3 just seems right.

In terms of "buying my part" I think I'm doing alright. I've picked up one of every set (minus this wave of the Hobbit, that'll be next month) except 8 Helm's Deep, 17 Uruk-Hai army, 10 Orc Forge, 5 Weathertop, 3 Mines of Moria, 6 Attack of the Wargs, 4 Unexpected Gathering, 3 Goblin King, 2 Mirkwood Spiders, 26 Mirkwood polys, 2 Frodo polys, 2 Gandalf polys and 40 Lake town polys.

If TLG would have produced battle packs I would have bought 20 of each.

LotR was one of the reasons why I came out of my dark age. Most sets that I buy from other themes are just parts donor for my LotR/Hobbit and castle collection. It would be a shame if LotR does not continue but don´t print the devil on the wall.

Lord of the Rings is definitely what got me into collecting Lego for sure. Since then I have picked up a few Star Wars and TMNT. All due to LotR.

Thanks for sharing your email response egg roller. It's good to see some of us are reaching out to TLG because the ONLY way TLG will continue LotR is if people ask for it!

IF YOU ALL WANT MORE LEGO LORD OF THE RINGS SETS - CONTACT TLG AND TELL THEM!

E-mail them, call them, go on their Facebook page & post, encourage fellow fans of to do the same.

If you are on the fence about current sets, go buy/invest in them now or ASAP.

This really will be the only way we will get more. IF YOU REMAIN SILENT, IT'S OVER.

I want more sets. I LOVE THESE SETS. Lord of the Rings... its ... precious ... to me! Lets all help each other out... Tell TLG we want more LotR!!!

Edited by atreyu2112

LotR was one of the reasons why I came out of my dark age. Most sets that I buy from other themes are just parts donor for my LotR/Hobbit and castle collection. It would be a shame if LotR does not continue but don´t print the devil on the wall.

Same thing here. At first I decided to get one of each LotR set for when my 2 year old gets old enough, but after a while I admitted I was buying them for myself. Then I started reading AFOL forums such as this one and started getting multiples. I'm currently at 2 Helms Deep, 2 Moria, 4 Weathertop, 10 Uruk-Hai Army, 6 Orc Forge, 2 Black Gate, 2 Council of Elrond and 3 Pirate Ships (plus singles of everything else and everything Hobbit).

In the meantime I also bought some current and older Castle sets to expand my medieval universe, a few City sets that were good parts packs and over 30 Bricklink orders of bulk parts. During the past year I've bought at least 10 times as much LEGO as my entire childhood collection (essentially Classic Space), all thanks to LotR.

On the bright side, if the theme ends now I will save a lot of money in the future and my wife will be very happy :-)

It's good to see some of us are reaching out to TLG because the ONLY way TLG will continue LotR is if people ask for it!

Actually people can express their love for LotR all they want, but if the sales aren't there it doesn't matter. Lego isn't going to continue a line that isn't making them money no matter how much people ask for it. Don't just contact Lego, actually go out and buy those sets you were on the fence about. That speaks volumes more than sending them an e-mail saying you like the line and want to see it continue.

If TLG would have produced battle packs I would have bought 20 of each.

That's pretty much how I feel. I got 2 of every set so far except a few where I got 3-5. The "army builders" Lego releases are a whole nother story (UHA and MEA). I got 7 Mirkwood Elf Army so far (plan to get 11) and 21 Uruk-hai Army. Here's what my purchases look like:

2x Gandalf polybag

2x Frodo polybag

2x Blue coat Bilbo

2x Uruk-hai polybag (not widely available here in the U.S.)

2x Gandalf Arrives

2x Shelob Attacks

2x Attack on Weathertop

2x Mines of Moria

2x Battle at Helm's Deep

2x Riddles for the Ring

2x Escape from Mirkwood Spiders

2x Barrel Escape

2x An Unexpected Gathering

2x Goblin King Battle

2x Wizard Battle

2x Council of Elrond

2x Pirate Ship Ambush

2x Tower of Orthanc

2x Lake-town Chase

2x Dol Guldur Battle

3x Elrond polybag

3x Dol Guldur Ambush

3x Attack of the Wargs

3x Black Gates

6x Orc Forge

11x Mirkwood Elf Army

11x Mirkwood Elf polybag (ended up selling 10 when MEA came out)

21x Uruk-hai Army

68x Lake-town Guard polybag

As you can see if it's a proper army builder the sales are ten fold what I get of the other sets. Oh, and this isn't even mentioning all the minifigures I had to BrickLink because there was no other cheap way to get them in complete sets. I ended up BLing:

2x Cave Troll

4x Gray Warg

7x Nazgul

8x Undead Soldiers

10x Goblins

20x Orc Hunters

20x Rohan Soldier

28x Moria Orcs

40x Mordor Orc

40x Gundabad Orc

60x Uruk-hai

Edited by Deathleech

Actually people can express their love for LotR all they want, but if the sales aren't there it doesn't matter. Lego isn't going to continue a line that isn't making them money no matter how much people ask for it. Don't just contact Lego, actually go out and buy those sets you were on the fence about. That speaks volumes more than sending them an e-mail saying you like the line and want to see

This can't be emphasized enough! As someone with a marketing background, I can vouch for the importance of sales figures in determining the future of a product line. Money talks, especially in matters like this. It's quite an oxymoron for someone to say that they want more LOTR, would hate it if Lego discontinued the theme, etc. if they haven't gone out and bought all of the sets (or better yet, MULTIPLES of sets) and cast their vote with the almighty dollar.

Edited by The_Chosen_1

Wow so I think if we bought all in the same the range it speaks for itself ;) and the line must continiue. I have just multiplies of Uruk Hai Army(9), Orc Forge (3), Black Gate(2) Wizzard Duel (2) and from Hobbit theme Mirkwood spiders (4) mirkwood elf army (7) laketown chase (2) Dol Guldur Ambush (2). But I will buy another helms deep the following months and maybe some Uruk Hai Army and Orc Forge sets if I found some leftovers, because the most shelves are empty.

While it's great to hear how rich everyone is was, could we just agree that all the fans of the theme should buy as much as they can... whether that means 17th Uruk-Hai Army or the first. These possessions lists do get a bit tedious after a while, no offence. :classic:

Edited by Haltiamieli