General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

I know but I'm sure they had known if the second wave will be the last wave. Maybe things changed afterwards but it makes sense and I think the sets support this.

As I said this doesn't mean that we will get more LotR sets.

Edited by Robert_88

I have said it a number of times already, but I don't think Lego intended to have the second LotR wave be the last when they started the theme. It seems more like poor sales, conflicting release schedules, or a combination of both would of contributed to them nixing a third LotR wave mid run. If we look at things it seems Lego pretty blatantly left out a number of big LotR sets to be released later. Excluding some major characters like Eowyn or Faramir is acceptable, Lego often leaves out secondary characters because they can't cover everything in a limited number of waves. Leaving out anything Gondor is totally unacceptable though. It would be like not including any Rebel Soldiers in the Star Wars line, or not including any Clone Troopers.

I was at my local Target today and they didn't have a SINGLE Hobbit set out. They had the tags but the shelves were empty. No LotR sets either except... a dozen or more Council of Elrond sets! It seems like the second wave Lego really missed the mark and I hope that didn't make them pull the plug to soon on the LotR. I fear it might have though. The Council of Elrond probably has no appeal to kids, while the Pirate Ship Ambush set has little appeal to LotR fans. It's like Lego was trying to please too many crowns with the second wave and because of this they ended up pleasing none. I just hope it didn't cost us a third LotR wave and some great Gondor-themed sets...

Hi guys. I have been lurking on this forum for a while now. I just went ahead and emailed TLG via their contact us link on lego.com. Here is their reply copied from my email:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us.

At this time we are not certain on whether or not we will be continuing the Lord of the Rings™ theme. The LEGO® Group discontinues themes that lose popularity over time, but you're right, LoTR is a very popular theme. We are releasing more Hobbit™ sets this year.

It is possible that after the Hobbit theme runs its course, we will return to classic Lord of the Rings sets. We typically run a theme for 1-3 years, unless it has an overwhelming popularity (ex. Star Wars™.) I believe LoTR has a following large enough to allow the theme to remain prominent with our company.

At this time we simply do not know for certain. I hope this helps.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We're always pleased to receive feedback! If you could take a moment to complete a four question survey by going to the link below, it will help us make sure we are providing the best customer service to you."

So there you have it. Buy up the LOTR sets and try to move their sales needle. I really hope this is not just conjecture. I want more LOTR sets as much as we all do. I hope this sheds some light on this situation. What do you guys and gals think?

Hi guys. I have been lurking on this forum for a while now. I just went ahead and emailed TLG via their contact us link on lego.com. Here is their reply copied from my email:

At this time we are not certain on whether or not we will be continuing the Lord of the Rings™ theme. The LEGO® Group discontinues themes that lose popularity over time, but you're right, LoTR is a very popular theme. We are releasing more Hobbit™ sets this year.

It is possible that after the Hobbit theme runs its course, we will return to classic Lord of the Rings sets. We typically run a theme for 1-3 years, unless it has an overwhelming popularity (ex. Star Wars™.) I believe LoTR has a following large enough to allow the theme to remain prominent with our company.

Thanks again for getting in touch. We're always pleased to receive feedback! If you could take a moment to complete a four question survey by going to the link below, it will help us make sure we are providing the best customer service to you."

So there you have it. Buy up the LOTR sets and try to move their sales needle. I really hope this is not just conjecture. I want more LOTR sets as much as we all do. I hope this sheds some light on this situation. What do you guys and gals think?

Wow! That's actually a surprisingly verbose answer from what looks to be a real human being. Not the normal "we thank you for your interest" form letter. and yeah, everyone BUY LOTR and HOBBIT! I don't care if you hate the Pirate Ship. Buy three!

I know but I'm sure they had known if the second wave will be the last wave. Maybe things changed afterwards but it makes sense and I think the sets support this.

As I said this doesn't mean that we will get more LotR sets.

The big thing that changed was the Hobbit got split from 2 movies to 3, and then the third movie had its release date pushed back. I suspect that the Summer 14 wave was originally planned as a LoTR wave, but with the third movie things got shifted. TLG always knows they will get the most bang with a direct movie tie in. So Hobbit gets priority.

This is encouraging. While it confirms that there will be no Lord of the Rings in 2014, there remains the possibility that more sets could be coming some time. I doubt that The Hobbit schedule change is the only factor here. The LEGO Movie set production has disrupted other themes and seems to be a significant focus this year.

It also hints that the Lord of the Rings license does not end at the end of this year.

I was at my local Target today and they didn't have a SINGLE Hobbit set out. They had the tags but the shelves were empty. No LotR sets either except... a dozen or more Council of Elrond sets! It seems like the second wave Lego really missed the mark and I hope that didn't make them pull the plug to soon on the LotR. I fear it might have though. The Council of Elrond probably has no appeal to kids, while the Pirate Ship Ambush set has little appeal to LotR fans. It's like Lego was trying to please too many crowns with the second wave and because of this they ended up pleasing none. I just hope it didn't cost us a third LotR wave and some great Gondor-themed sets...

My Walmart didn't get LOTR wave 2 till October 2013. :look:

This is encouraging. While it confirms that there will be no Lord of the Rings in 2014, there remains the possibility that more sets could be coming some time. I doubt that The Hobbit schedule change is the only factor here. The LEGO Movie set production has disrupted other themes and seems to be a significant focus this year.

It also hints that the Lord of the Rings license does not end at the end of this year.

I suspect that the license itself goes at a minimum until Spring/Summer 2015. But that can be a limiting factor as well. They will not create new waves for a license that only has a small number of months that it can remain on shelves. They wouldn't want to do a full wave of something and then turn around and pull it from shelves 3 months later because the license ran out. (like they ended up doing with Harry Potter). They would probably just stock up the existing sets and sell them for as long as they could. If we do get another LotR line it might be a sign that the license has been extended.

Color me skeptical. While I can see some of the logic, it seems uncharacteristically candid and conversational. Plus, it's difficult to trust as a first post.

I can see where you're coming from as it is my first post, but I have to start somewhere. I could get you a screen grab from my email or you could contact them like I did. It only took a day or so to get a reply.

Buy up the LOTR sets and try to move their sales needle.

Well, I bought two Uruk-Hai armys and two black gates (sort of, for my 2nd one only the bricks + Orcs from an ebay re-seller for cheap).

Plus one of every other LOTR and Hobbit set, of course. And all polybags, even those not available in my country.

I think I did my part so far. :classic:

Edited by SheepEater

I can see where you're coming from as it is my first post, but I have to start somewhere. I could get you a screen grab from my email or you could contact them like I did. It only took a day or so to get a reply.

I wonder if we all asked the same question tomorrow if we'd get similar replies?

I wonder if we all asked the same question tomorrow if we'd get similar replies?

I think everyone who cares should send them an email asking whats up. Depending on wich country youre from you will get in contact with different teams who might hold different or just have gotten diferent messages.

It doesent hurt that atleast someone at lego will know theres an interest in this theme.

I send lego an email to see what they'll end up telling me. As for trusting new users, thats always risky business.

Very interesting and surprisingly honest for TLG. I will contact them as well to show my interest.

I already have all LotR sets so there is not a lot I can do in terms of moving the sales needle. But I can definetly recommend sets like the Pirate Ship. I didn't like it when they released it because I wanted and still want other sets instead but the set IS very, very nice.

Very interesting and surprisingly honest for TLG. I will contact them as well to show my interest.

I already have all LotR sets so there is not a lot I can do in terms of moving the sales needle. But I can definetly recommend sets like the Pirate Ship. I didn't like it when they released it because I wanted and still want other sets instead but the set IS very, very nice.

Yeah I decided to buy Pirate Ship as soon as it hits below 78€ on amazon.uk ...... I just dont value it above 78€ + 7€ shipping.....

Black Gates I just cannot get myself to buy.... such a disappointing set .... would rather buy more Elrond's Councils then.....

From the 1st wave of LOTR I also had all sets.... but i parted out Orc Forge, Weathertop, Mines of Moria, Gandalf Arrives and only really kept Fellowship + Helm's Deep and 2x uruk-hai army on display.....

And still buying more uruks every month....

`You could always take a screenshot and blank out your personal details? Or would posting this get us in any trouble with TLG? You could also send the email/picture to a moderator so that he can verify it for us without posting it on the forum?

It's certainly not personal, I would love to believe that the future for LoTR might be not as grim as we thought. :classic:

..but it's their own fault, that LOTRO sells not so good, as they thought.

the prices are horrible and insufficient for army builders.

they wan't that we buy sets more often then once. for exmple the black gate.

sure, i would do that, if there is no gandalf, aragorn or mouth in this set. what sould i do with them?

i have at the moment a little army of aragorns and gandalfs..... :thumbdown:

Edited by Hepitos

Color me skeptical. While I can see some of the logic, it seems uncharacteristically candid and conversational. Plus, it's difficult to trust as a first post.

I have to agree. Usually Lego (or any company for that matter) responds with the standard "thank you for your interest, unfortunately we cannot give any details at this time" response. Not that they give any details in that response really, it just seems uncharacteristic for them to be unsure of future plans. Shouldn't they have sales figures and be well aware what their own plans are for any upcoming waves? Especially when the waves are a year or so away?

I have to agree. Usually Lego (or any company for that matter) responds with the standard "thank you for your interest, unfortunately we cannot give any details at this time" response. Not that they give any details in that response really, it just seems uncharacteristic for them to be unsure of future plans. Shouldn't they have sales figures and be well aware what their own plans are for any upcoming waves? Especially when the waves are a year or so away?

Well its entirely possible they have X sets already ready for production (see that designer room from some time ago with Balrog/lothlorien sets lurking on shelves) and all they have to decide is... if they put the sets in production or not....

If my theory is correct they have time to take such decision shortly before 2015 retailer catalog is sent out/designed

If my theory is correct they have time to take such decision shortly before 2015 retailer catalog is sent out/designed

They also have to factor in how many other sets they are offering retailers. so adding a theme you kindof have to pause another.

As for the sets in that design room picture, they weren't final designs, so they weren't exactly "ready to go".

Assuming this is a real response, which I have some doubt, it really says nothing. I could see someone having a bit of customer service experience giving a longer than normal response while still in the end giving no real information. Why mention discontinuing less popular lines and then say that TLoR is popular? Why talk about the hobbit line as if its supplanting the release of more TLoR sets? And who refers to TLoR as classic? They believe there is a large enough following yet they have no idea if it can continue on?

They also seem to be switching back and forth between using acronyms and spelling out The Lord of the Rings. It all does not seem to add up. It's almost like it was cut and pasted together.

That being said while its great to contact TLG to tell them your thoughts, you are not going to get information about future releases. The last people who are going to know about such things are most likely customer service reps. If you keep secrets from the general public like TLG does, the last people you want knowing what is going on are the people in direct contact with the public. Not to say they don't hear rumors or such but they are most likely not going to be told until right before the public release. That is one of the many ways TLG is able to keep such a tight lid of their goings on.

Perhaps in the future for those not posting at all you could just say hi before unloading such a post and hope we embrace it so.

They also have to factor in how many other sets they are offering retailers. so adding a theme you kindof have to pause another.

But they would already know that answer. TLG would have had a plan already in place when they started working on both lines. The plan would have had to be adjusted due to the third hobbit movie of course but an adjusted plan would have quickly followed. Due to the time it takes to plan and develop their lines they would know what was coming down the pipeline.

Like I said many times before there is nothing known to us that would preclude TLG from releasing a third TLoR wave in the first quarter of 2015.

Like I said many times before there is nothing known to us that would preclude TLG from releasing a third TLoR wave in the first quarter of 2015.

I hope so. It makes sense because of the Blu-Ray/DVD releases and people are still interested. The only other possibility would be a re-release of LotR in 3D but that is very far-fetched at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback darthpunk, I didnt really think posting that would lead to an argument about my veracity. But oh well. I may send a screen to a moderator today. I just thought it was an interesting piece to this puzzle. Anyway, do you think TLG realizes that snagging second wave sales may be due to poor set decisions rather than lack of interest? Or does the reason not matter, just the bottom line? I think it should matter as there could be a lot of money on the table for them if they chose the "right" sets to produce.