Sign in to follow this  
Haderach

Assistance mounting LEGO Planet

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hello,

I'm looking for a little assistance. I own some of the LEGO Star Wars planet sets. The planet itself has a 2x2 "tile" built into the top and bottom of the planet. I'd like to clip the planet into a plate or tile but am not sure what the proper technique is. To try and further clarify, imagine a plate piece, say 8x4 for example, and then holding a 2x2 tile and needing to turn the tile upside down so the studs on the plate and the studs on the tile were facing each other, looking for some sort of intermediary mechanism to mount the tile "upside down" as this is how the planet is fashioned.

This picture provides an example of a planet:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dDM59IgIhXk/TsnNmugQCZI/AAAAAAAADjg/m-3HbXwVhpc/s1600/d_9676_detail_2.jpg

Thanks!

If I understand what you're saying, you want to attach studs to studs? As far as I know the LotR ring is the only piece capable of doing this (without a complex arrangement of SNOT pieces, that is...)

Perhaps you could accomplish this by using the "ToPleSs" (or T-LESs; P-LESs) technique? Aka insert tiles between studs on their sides.

Example:

5339335532_9d1a835859_o.png

Then you could mount the planet on top of the vertical plate again? I'd make a cross of one 1x2 tile and two 1x1 tiles. I'd illustrate, but I'm at work atm.

More info on this can be found here here or in the Unofficial Advanced Techniques guide.

(upd: brickshelf link was down, so other example chosen)

Edited by krispy

I can do this with three pieces, but it's a teensy bit wobbly. You need two 2x2 round plates and one super-short axle (these days they are red). Because the stud area on the top of the planet shell has a hole in it you can slide the axle through it and fix it in place with one plate on the inside of the shell, the other on the outside facing stud-to-stud.

Other than using 4x one rings this is the lowest-piece method I can come up with. I've tested it out and the planet does wobble a bit - since its centre of gravity is higher up it doesn't feel super-stable. If you had room you could use a larger axle and sink it lower so it holds the planet more firmly.

8368272110_11cc4c93c2.jpg

Planet realignment by bobsy26, on Flickr

In the image the planet shell piece is impaled on the red axle and sandwiched between the two plates.

How about just pushing a small antenna up through the hole and possibly securing it on the inside with a technic bush?

I thought the same thing the other day I decided getting a brick with a cross that I could insert a little cross axel into, perhaps secure in on the inside of the planet with a little brush.

Everyone, thank you very much for the feedback / comments. This is a great forum and I really appreciate the time you took to reply. I'm going to go with the 2x2 round piece / axle approach once I round up some additional elements. Take care and thanks again!!

TWP, awesome suggestion, thanks for the additional post. I'm going to go with this strategy as soon as I can get some parts ordered. Really appreciate your feedback!

TWP, awesome suggestion, thanks for the additional post. I'm going to go with this strategy as soon as I can get some parts ordered. Really appreciate your feedback!

You're welcome.