Sign in to follow this  
Crist Clapper

Special build project HELP: Jeep Grand Wagoneer build

@ Crist Clapper: Welcome to Eurobricks! :classic: You said you tried using Lego Digital Designer (LDD) to build a virtual Jeep Grand Wagoneer model? Since that is (probably) one of the easier programs to master, what aspect of LDD did you not like?

Sariel has this "Scaling Tutorial for Vehicles" to use pictures and build properly-scaled models. Do you want to build your model with Lego Technic elements, or with conventional "System" elements? How big do you want your model to be?

Edited by DLuders

I can assure you that using the LDD is a me problem... :grin: Not an application problem! And although I have been using LEGO's for the last 50 years (not a typo) ... My area of interest has always been house/home building. This new-fangled stuff eludes me! :sick:

As far as scaling... I made an assumption that it would depend on the best available LEGO pieces. That said… At its widest point… 12-ish inches.

Any suggestions on where I should go from here? :classic:

Thanks! Crist

@ Crist Clapper: It's not often that I meet a Lego fan older than I am! :laugh: The Jeep Grand Wagoneer has a nice, boxy shape -- good for Lego. Does your model have to have the fake wood-grain sides? Are you intending to make a VIRTUAL model, or one with real Lego bricks? Are you wanting to build a SPECIFIC YEAR of Grand Wagoneer?

08.jpg36148397.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Nice GW’s! I'll post a photo of mine too.

Yeah... I have every block I ever received. And still get a token set each year for Christmas!

At some point someone was creative enough to build a LEGO GW… Posted below. One like/similar of this would be nice! I was hoping the LEGO folks had records of the build… But apparently not.

There must be a zillion LEGO pieces… And wouldn’t know where to start!

The desire continues!

Edited by Calabar
Oversized images converted in text links. Maximum allowed size is 800x600.

@ Crist Clapper: Since my son is enrolled in Spokane Community College to learn to be a Toyota T-TEN Auto Mechanic, I'll model your 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer for you. I'll use Lego Digital Designer (LDD), create a Parts List, and publish a step-by-step Building Instructions file for you to follow (without needing LDD to run). :classic: I will start on the project this weekend. I found your posts on this International Full Size Jeep Association topic, so I understand you want your model in White with the wood trim. It should not be too hard to "reverse-engineer" BJ's Off-Road version by using the 3 pictures posted on that topic. Please send an e-mail to me at LudersDG@MSN.com so that we may collaborate (back and forth) about what you LIKE about the model, and what you want changed.

By the way, you should have gotten a Full-Size BRONCO (like my son has) instead of a Jeep! :grin:

Edited by DLuders

Please be sure to let the rest of us know the result

OK -- we've been in contact and he wants a Lego model of a white 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, like this one: drivin.gif

1990_jeep_grand_wagoneer_1200_rochester_8389690.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Crist Clapper, please pay attention to the edit message, when a moderator/regulator edit your posts.

According to the rules of the forum, the maximum size allowed for an image inserted in a pageis 800x600, so avoid to use bigger images, or resize that before. :classic:

My bad and my appologies! I resize on my desktop to 800x600... Upload them to PhotoBucket... Cut/paste the link here... And they are too big! :wacko:

I'll keep looking for a solution!

Crist Clapper, please pay attention to the edit message, when a moderator/regulator edit your posts.

According to the rules of the forum, the maximum size allowed for an image inserted in a pageis 800x600, so avoid to use bigger images, or resize that before. :classic:

@ Crist Clapper: I downloaded your photos of your "Delilah" :wub: (the beautiful, restored 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer) for the Lego modeling project, and resized them to 800x600 images:

8348271738_1f8bbae549_c.jpg8347213621_ce03e0e7bd_c.jpg

So far, here is the 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer modeled in LDD and rendered using the LDD2PovRay program. I have not placed any interior seats or dashboard instruments in it yet, because I wanted to ensure that the outer PROPORTIONS of the Jeep were correct. I used the Griddy program to superimpose a brick grid over the photos of Crist Clapper's real vehicle. What do you think? Here is a link to the LDD .lxf file (Work In Progress).

8375034059_02dc7ecc0b_c.jpg8375034061_1d15dbd7c7_c.jpg

Interesting.....It looks good david. :sweet:

I would l suggest that to get rid if the first plat step on the bonnet and you make the roof higher.

Maybe you should try using hinge plates instead of bricks for the roof pillars.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

@ Alasdair Ryan: I'm not sure what you mean by saying to "get rid if the first plat step on the bonnet." Which layer on the bonnet (hood) are you talking about?

I tried using hinge plates instead of bricks for the roof pillars, but they did not fit and looked awful. The pictures of Crist Clapper's real Jeep are taken too close to the vehicle, so they appear distorted (with a "fisheye lens"-type effect). Note that the house in Crist Clapper's photo above does not have a vertical corner.

@ vynsane: I tried your suggestions, but those parts really don't work in this case. The "bars" you suggested are too long, and the clip cannot support the rear window air deflector at such a steep angle:

99784.jpg476.gif92280.jpg

Here's what the model looks like now. It has an opening hood, working V4 engine, folding seats, and operable tailgate which swings down:

8408582262_c54647121e_c.jpg8407486731_124d956199_c.jpg

Edited by DLuders

The "bars" you suggested are too long, [...]

That's strange, bars are 12L, exactly as the plates you used in your model.

@ Calabar: Yes, that's true but how do you integrate the cross members of the roof rack? There are two raised chrome bars running along the sides of the roof, and other (lower) roof rack parts going across the roof. How does one make these ski-pole-like bars look like a roof rack? Should I use the little clips shown below? The existing roof rack cross-members are 9L, so it's hard to use 12L bars in both directions....

2555.jpg

8430501213_53df82e5bd_c.jpg

I finished this project and used Lego Digital Designer (LDD) to model the 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It features an opening hood (bonnet) and rear tailgate, a working V4 engine, and folding front seats. It uses 643 parts and has 216 steps in the LDD Building Guide. The LDD .lxf Building Instruction file is available for download via SkyDrive here. I used the LDD2PovRay utility for these renders.

8430501117_98bcc21917_c.jpg

The real vehicle looks like this (note that the camera created a slight "fisheye" effect and the proportions are distorted a tad):

8348271738_1f8bbae549_c.jpg8347213621_ce03e0e7bd_c.jpg