I realize this is a simple question, but I'm still learning. Exactly what is LDraw?

My sole project is to build an exterior model of my parent's house. I have no Lego now, so I downloaded LDD to see what was possible.

How does LDraw work with LDD? What's the advantage, if any, to using it, or is it not really necessary for someone with a very specific project?

Thanks

LDraw is a collection of parts made by the Lego community. It is not useable with LDD (which is made by Lego itself), but you have to use it with other software e.g. the well known MLcad or the better (more ldd like) SR3D Builder.

It is also often used as a term to adres the whole set of software such as MLcad, LDview, Lpub etc.

The advantages of LDraw are that it has waaaaay more parts than LDD has. Especially older parts. In combinatoin with e.g. SR3D Builder, it is also more `proffesional` than LDD.

If you need more advice, feel free to ask :classic:

If I remember right, you CAN import ldraw into LDD. Just place ldraw files in correct place. Not all parts will be correctly imported.

Someone might know more details.

If I remember right, you CAN import ldraw into LDD. Just place ldraw files in correct place. Not all parts will be correctly imported.

Someone might know more details.

It is possible (as is exporting to LDraw), but you need an extra file (I can't find the topic on the forum now, but it should be somewhere around here).

It is however not very accurate; many bricks are not recognized or placed incorrectly :sceptic:

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like I don't need to investigate LDraw at this point. I looked at the article and basically understood only the first paragraph and not even all of it! I'll concentrate on learning LDD. BTW, very nice race car............

Seriously mate, I'd recommend SR 3D Builder. LDraw can seem pretty tough when you look at the part library and all the programmes related to it, but if you just want to work on models regularly like you'd do in LDD then there's little or nothing LDD can do that SR 3D Builder can't. But if LDD is your preferred choice, then by all means stick with that. :classic:

The great thing about SR 3D Builder is that it's also just as straight forward to install as LDD.

Edited by Palathadric

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like I don't need to investigate LDraw at this point. I looked at the article and basically understood only the first paragraph and not even all of it! I'll concentrate on learning LDD. BTW, very nice race car............

The wikipedia article (that DLuders linked) mostly explains how it works. You don't neccesarily need to know how it works. You don't know how LDD works either, do you? :tongue:

I think you just have to try it at least, than yuo can make the final decision. I recommend the free (it has a paid version too) sr3d builder,as it is one fo the best cads.

You have to "learn" a bit how it works, but it's not difficult at all! I can help you if you want, but the manual on the website is also very helpful. :classic:

But of course the final decision is yours, personally I would recommend LDraw, but there are also many people who like LDD more.

Thanks for the reply. You're right, I don't need to know specifically how the program works. Perhaps I should have put a :classic: behind that sentence, as it was intended to be a little humerous.............

I'll check out alternatives to LDD. I am, however, a bit confused by your post. In the second to last paragraph you recommend sr3d builder but in the last sentence you recommend LDraw. I would probably go for the product that has the best documentation and that is easier to apply to Lego in particular.

Thanks for the reply. You're right, I don't need to know specifically how the program works. Perhaps I should have put a :classic: behind that sentence, as it was intended to be a little humerous.............

I'll check out alternatives to LDD. I am, however, a bit confused by your post. In the second to last paragraph you recommend sr3d builder but in the last sentence you recommend LDraw. I would probably go for the product that has the best documentation and that is easier to apply to Lego in particular.

Well, LDraw is NO software, it are ONLY the parts, so you need software like MLcad or SR3D Builder to use them :wink:

SR3D Builder installs them automaticly btw.

See how much I don't know? ......... I thought I had seen on other sites a discussion of using LDD or LDraw. I guess they were talking about the source inventory of elements rather than the program used to create the projects.

I've looked a bit at the SR3D site. It seems like it's heavily oriented toward technics, which I assume are little machines etc. I am solely interested in creating the exterior only model of an existing house and am not interested in animation or gears or anything like that. The documentation seems to be a bit more comprehensive than that of LDD. At least it walks through a couple of different build scenarios.

One area I'm very interested in is the type of windows available. I don't know much about this, but I did look through the windows available on LDD and didn't see an awful lot of them. Also, I need to put in two different kinds of bay windows on top of each other that are on the first and second floor of the existing house. I will probably need to build these from "scratch." I don't know the proper "Lego" term for this.............. :wink: Does the LDraw inventory have a wider selection of windows? I need all white windows to accurately depict the house.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, LDraw has (almost, mostly not the newest ones) windows that Lego ever made, so that's won't be a problem :wink:

About SR3D Builder; yes, it ahs some good Technic functions, but that's also because there's not much to move in a house. SR3D Builder has (like LDD) automatic brick orientation, so bricks "click" on each other correctly. That could be useful when building a house :classic:

If you have more questions, I don't mind to answer them :wink:

If you don't mind I will add one more thing which is that in SR3D you can add new parts to your parts list by importing Ldraw's parts,so if you find that Ldraw has newer parts than SR3D and you like using SR3D you can import them.

And no I am not trying to plug SR3D. :look::laugh: