CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I finally got the Tower of Orthanc yesterday after a long wait. I deliberately avoided it in the store window display as it was the first time I'd seen it in the flesh. First impressions? The box is MASSIVE, and I've got no clue how I'll get that on a train...

I've seen reviews and everything, and I'm so happy I've got it :D Cant wait to build it!

I got mine while on a vacation in Colorado. There was enough money left over to buy it in the Denver store while passing through. It even made it up Pikes Peak in the rental car, although in the box and in the trunk. Anyway, in order to get it home on the airplane and avoid excess baggage charges, we broke down the box and put it folded into the suitcase. I then placed the 15+ bags, instructions, stickers, and my cameras into a carry on backpack. It all fit nicely. Airport security sure did look at that bag in the X-ray for the longest time trying to figure out what that was. Good times.

I know that everyone is expecting an exclusive figure with the game, but I was wondering if you guys think we will get an exclusive figure with the DVD release of TDOS? Similiar to the blue coated Bilbo we got with AUJ... Just a thought! :)

I know that everyone is expecting an exclusive figure with the game, but I was wondering if you guys think we will get an exclusive figure with the DVD release of TDOS? Similiar to the blue coated Bilbo we got with AUJ... Just a thought! :)

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. It was Target that did that for the last one, correct?

Fingers crossed!

I was actually thinking the exact same thing. It was Target that did that for the last one, correct?

Fingers crossed!

Yep it was Target! :) I can only hope...

Someone brought up an interesting topic. If the LOTR line was to end, where would you invest your money into? I suppose after I stock up on as many LOTR army builders as possible, I would cut my LEGO budgit in half. And from then on, I would only buy various sets that interest me. Some Super Hero, and anything else that catches my eye... :P From then on, I would wait and hope that one day LEGO somehow aquires the Star Trek license(Highly Unlikely) so I can get my long desired Kirk and Spock minifigures! :)

I'd probably snatch up the sets I didn't buy for 'display purposes' for the minifigs, then move to the Castle line for the odds and ends as they are the most intresting for moc'cing in my case

I'd probably snatch up the sets I didn't buy for 'display purposes' for the minifigs, then move to the Castle line for the odds and ends as they are the most intresting for moc'cing in my case

That's a thougt, though I usually just bricklink pieces I need for mocs!

Someone brought up an interesting topic. If the LOTR line was to end, where would you invest your money into? I suppose after I stock up on as many LOTR army builders as possible, I would cut my LEGO budgit in half. And from then on, I would only buy various sets that interest me. Some Super Hero, and anything else that catches my eye... :P From then on, I would wait and hope that one day LEGO somehow aquires the Star Trek license(Highly Unlikely) so I can get my long desired Kirk and Spock minifigures! :)

I would probably buy 90% less LEGO.... or keep buying old figs (Uruk hais) till they do not sky rocket too much for my liking....

I just checked but since I came from my dark ages I spent 80.7% of all LEGO spent on LOTR or Hobbit (and hobbit is big minority here)

I only buy sets from lisences I like, so it sounds like uintill theres more POTC I will proapbly be fairly uninterested in lego.

If LotR is done, I would still buy tons of Hobbit sets until they end neat year and maybe try to bulk up my existing LotR collection where I can. I am not terribly interested in any of Lego's other offerings so unless they introduced something new and exciting I would probably just hold off buying much else. I might pick up a few super hero sets here and there.

There's no hiding the fact that LOTR lego is bought by me for me. Hobbit stuff can be passed off as for me and the kids. I'm safe when it comes to DC Superheroes or City or, now, Movie sets because they're the ones my girls play with the most. So when Middle-Earth ends, I guess that's where my lego bucks will continue to go for the time being.

If LOTR ends, I'd definitely buy much less lego. Maybe some castle if there are sets that appeal to me. Or I'll return to my childhood favourite: space.

Or friends if it turns out my girls are more into that theme :laugh:

Edited by Tuinman

That's a thougt, though I usually just bricklink pieces I need for mocs!

Often, but I found that especially on the smaller sets, considering how much minifigs go by for on BL, are cheaper in a boxed set then seperate and one can never have enough soldiers ;-)

That and as a 'non licensed' range, the medievals tend to pop up often in normal stores discounts and promotions racks

If we get the rumored 3-set LOTR wave this year and then a roughly 6-set TABA wave, I'll buy all of each of them, and more of any armybuilders or relevant polybags. If we get more Lego Tolkien after that, I'll buy that too. Otherwise, my Lego purchases are essentially limited to armybuilding from the CMFs, though this is a dry year given the weak Lego Movie Series (only need to armybuild the awesome Mexicans for illegal immigrant army) and the upcoming Simpsons series (gag, complete pass). I might grab one cool Star Wars battle pack but that's it for the time being.

Edited by Darth Caedus

Please keep your discussion to the 2013 Hobbit/LOTR sets.

My partner and I have just spent the last three hours working together to build Orthanc. I decided I couldn't wait any more and went ahead and built it with her, and she was totally calm and obliging and I cannot thank her enough! (I decided the box was too big to take on the train, and the parents wanted to see it built, so I went for it)

This is one of if not THE best LEGO Licensed set ever released. The attention to detail, and how they've captured it, is quite frankly STUNNING! The sheer size of it took my breath away as I put on the spikes at the top. I stepped back, and gazed at the evil looking creation which stood before us. It looked like LEGO had had a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory moment and had taken the Tower out of the screen and scaled it down into LEGO form.

I can honestly say, whilst a very very VERY tiny bit disappointed at the lack of the fourth wall, I am exceptionally satisfied with the price I've paid. Stunning detals everywhere and some comical ones as well (for example, the unlit brackets in the bomb room) make for a very entertaining and quick build! (It did NOT feel like 3 hours!)

(sorry if this is a teensy weensy bit of an off topic remark) If LEGO do Barad Dur in this scale as well... It will be absolutely beautiful!

I have a 2013 discussion: I'm considering buying a second Black Gate. Any tips or pictures on combining two sets into one long gate?

I bought a cheap Black Gate off ebay with no figs to combine.

I can't give tips really, other than the way that I had it combined meant that it was rather heavy and sagged; it wouldn't go back onto its plate (closed position) because it caught on the rim when pushed back.

Sorry if that made no sense whatsoever.

^ I got two sets and kept the gate the same size added the other tower and now I will use the rest to build walls each side

I have a 2013 discussion: I'm considering buying a second Black Gate. Any tips or pictures on combining two sets into one long gate?

2 sets combined. i think i only changed or added 1 or 2 of the plates on the bottom. If you want the LDD fine i can send it to you.

293ha36.png

It looks better if you mod two sets so that two doors of one set become one door. It makes for a larger, more menacing and movie-accurate set. I'll post a pic later, if I get a chance.

Edited by Fives

I apologise in advance if this question has already been asked but I was wondering if anyone knows any information regarding the potential UK release of set 30216 Lake-town Guard? I know, at this moment in time, that it has only been released in the US in Toys R Us stores, but surely this polybag will be released as a promotional item through the Daily Mail newspaper at some point? Any information would be much appreciated as I really don't want to fork out an excessive amount of money for an item that usually comes free, but in this case a few pounds. Maybe Toys R Us stores here in the UK will put them on sale?

It looks better if you mod two sets so that two doors of one set become one door. It makes for a larger, more menacing and movie-accurate set. I'll post a pic later, if I get a chance.

I think it looks more movie accurate the way i showed. Making it include the full length of the wall and not jsut the opening gate part. The compact-ness of it work within lego's scale.

http://www.lotrscene...he_Black_Gate(6).jpg

Edited by deskp