CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

The more I think about it, the more it seems odd they would have 2 army builder type sets so close in price range too. I'm wondering if all the orcs and elves in these two sets other than the one for each listed as being special are actually generic as well?

With 3 elves in the elf army, I think maybe 2 of them are sentinels and 1 woodland guard?

And the ambush set has a soldier from either rivendell or lothlorien?

And the orcs in the elf army would be gundabad orcs (tribal style) while the ambush orcs would be dol guldur (armored) ?

Atleast that is the optimal hope x]

May the pictures come soon so wild speculation can end!

If the catalog is out and being view by the retailers, then I'd say its safe to expect either prelims or official pics in the next couple weeks. Hopefully by November, LEGO will update the Hobbit site and slowly unveil the sets like they did last year.

With the movie out in early December, it would seem about time. I would suspect TRU will be carrying the sets by early November, so pictures can't be too far away.

With the movie out in early December, it would seem about time. I would suspect TRU will be carrying the sets by early November, so pictures can't be too far away.

Well, last year Toys Toys Toys (a smaller toy store chain in Canada) had all the sets minus Barrel Escape by the first or second week of November (although they were slightly over priced). The sets weren't in LEGO stores till December.

So I'v eben doing some research about Bolg and his role in the films. I've discovered that the Bridge Direct Bolg action figure described him as the Necromancer's interrogator at Dol Guldur, and this also makes sense of the Bridge Direct Gandalf/Bolg action figure pack. I truly believe that Bolg will be included in the big Dol Guldur set. And I gotta say, I'm really friggin excited about that fig. Bolg is by far the most terrifying orc PJ has yet designed, and I really hope he is portrayed as a sadistic torturer, as well as a ruthless warrior.

If the catalog is out and being view by the retailers, then I'd say its safe to expect either prelims or official pics in the next couple weeks. Hopefully by November, LEGO will update the Hobbit site and slowly unveil the sets like they did last year.

Retailers saw the cataogue quite some time ago when they put in their orders for sets to sell.

Oh and remember the information about Bolg potentially is outdated, remember bridge direct will not release a Bolg action figure this fall, due to changes in the movie.

I don't know how happy I am with the sound of dol guldor ambush

A rock??? Riddles for the ring with new minifigures???

I'ts preliminary, it's proably a piece of dol guldur ruin. something like 227 pieces.

And one more info.

Prices (in Polish currency):

79014 - 350 zl (the same price as 79003 in polish S@H, and probably piece count is similar)

79013 - 260 zl

79012 - 170 zl

79011 - 120 zl

So I doubt that 79013 will have 442 parts (as is on the box). The price is too small. Attack of the wrags costs in Polish S@H 280 zl and has 400 parts.

Retailers saw the cataogue quite some time ago when they put in their orders for sets to sell.

Oh and remember the information about Bolg potentially is outdated, remember bridge direct will not release a Bolg action figure this fall, due to changes in the movie.

Yeah, but LEGO may not have gotten that chance. The news of the change and Bridge Direct not releasing a figure is very recent, and it is unlikely that LEGO would have had the time to remedy it. So either it is Bolg, and he looks like his original design. It's an Orc that looks like the original Bolg, but with a new name (like the Azog/Yazneg retcon), or it is in fact a prelim Beorn. But I would much rather the Bolg fig instead of Beorn.

Yeah, but LEGO may not have gotten that chance. The news of the change and Bridge Direct not releasing a figure is very recent, and it is unlikely that LEGO would have had the time to remedy it. So either it is Bolg, and he looks like his original design. It's an Orc that looks like the original Bolg, but with a new name (like the Azog/Yazneg retcon), or it is in fact a prelim Beorn. But I would much rather the Bolg fig instead of Beorn.

The info from bridge direct is recent yes, but its not like it was an announcment. They had not been talking about Bolg since the toy fair in february. Obviously its kindof an either or situation. I hope we get "classic" Bolg though.

I'd much rather get a Beorn over a Bolg.

I'd rather the set includes Bolg and Beorn, than Azog and Beorn.

Question, is there any chanse the figure int he AMBUSH set is Bolg? "some soldier" could be Bolg couldn't it? He is pretty armored up. That would be idea if he's not in battle set.

Edited by deskp

It seems weird Lego would release a Bolg minifig if Bridge Direct held him back for lack of screen time in DoS. Then again, like has been said, maybe Lego is releasing him anyways because it was too late for them to make any changes? I find it hard to believe Azog would be in Dol Guldur. He is actively chasing Thorin so why would he go take part at Dol Guldur? Then again who really knows at this point besides PJ, Azog wasn't even suppose to be alive by the time the Hobbit took place and Bolg didn't show up till the very end of the book at the Bo5A. I could honestly see it going either way, it could be Azog or Bolg.

Personally I hope it's Azog just so we have a chance to get him. I would hate knowing an Azog minifigure is out there but most of us can't get him because he is so rare. Plus I am sure Bolg will show up for the third wave if PJ sticks to the book at all.

Personally I hope it's Azog just so we have a chance to get him. I would hate knowing an Azog minifigure is out there but most of us can't get him because he is so rare. Plus I am sure Bolg will show up for the third wave if PJ sticks to the book at all.

Well azog will aslso be in the third movie so its kindof the same.

The info from bridge direct is recent yes, but its not like it was an announcment. They had not been talking about Bolg since the toy fair in february. Obviously its kindof an either or situation. I hope we get "classic" Bolg though.

I'd rather the set includes Bolg and Beorn, than Azog and Beorn.

Question, is there any chanse the figure int he AMBUSH set is Bolg? "some soldier" could be Bolg couldn't it? He is pretty armored up. That would be idea if he's not in battle set.

I thought that Bridge Direct wasn't gonna release Bolg due to changes in the story. The more that I think about it, there is no way that at this point, two months before the film's release, that any significant changes could be made in the story. There is no time for any sort of reshoot or design changes, so the Bolg we've seen is likely the Bolg we'll get.

I also think that, even though the prelim makes the fig seem like it's not an Orc, the red beard is one of the most recognizable characteristics of Bolg. I wonder what sort of colours the fig seemed to have other than the red beard. Bolg's skin could easily be tan, which could've been mistaken for flesh. It's a shame we can't get a glimpse of the prelims. I'm sure a quick look would clear this up.

Edited by Fives

I thought that Bridge Direct wasn't gonna release Bolg due to changes in the story. The more that I think about it, there is no way that at this point, two months before the film's release, that any significant changes could be made in the story. There is no time for any sort of reshoot or design changes, so the Bolg we've seen is likely the Bolg we'll get.

I also think that, even though the prelim makes the fig seem like it's not an Orc, the red beard is one of the most recognizable characteristics of Bolg. I wonder what sort of colours the fig seemed to have other than the red beard. Bolg's skin could easily be tan, which could've been mistaken for flesh. It's a shame we can't get a glimpse of the prelims. I'm sure a quick look would clear this up.

But noone has said the change happened now, it could have happened in March. Its jsut that the news got out now. If there even is a change.

Prelims usualy does not care too much about colors or deisgns of stand in figures, but if it had tall legs it wouldn't be Bolg.

Yeah it's kindof painfull having to rely on others descriptions of what is basically a sketch.

But noone has said the change happened now, it could have happened in March. Its jsut that the news got out now. If there even is a change.

Prelims usualy does not care too much about colors or deisgns of stand in figures, but if it had tall legs it wouldn't be Bolg.

Yeah it's kindof painfull having to rely on others descriptions of what is basically a sketch.

Its true that the change could've been made months ago.

And yeah, the longer legs are kind of a major sign that it is Beorn. I just think that Bolg being in the bigger, more expensive set based on a location he is likely going to be at in the film makes way more sense than Beorn being there.

Also, the Dol Guldur Ambush set wouldn't be an ambush if it contained two orcs and Bolg. That's just a battle pack. I have a feeling this set will have Elrond in his armour.

The one thing I'd love to see is a new Elven sword. A one handed silver sword would be great. Give it to the Mirkwood Elves in armour (hopefully we'll get those) with shields. Plus, it would be more accurate for Thranduil's sword, and it could be used for Orcrist.

Edited by Fives

I have a feeling this set will have Elrond in his armour.

I agree, that sounds reasonable as A) the (alleged) alternative set name is "Elrond Battle" and B) every set so far has had at least one named character :wink: Who else could it be for this set but Elrond? :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

longer legs are kind of a major sign that it is Beorn.

This "white" orc is Azog or Bolg because name of him is very short.

Warriow with red beard in 79014 is not orc. Human or dwarf. It`s really hard to tell from this pictures. But he hes long legs, so probably some human warrior.

From this quote; red beard isn't an Orc, it's either a human or an dwarf. I think when he says long legs, he just means regular legs, which are longer than dwarf legs- it might not mean Beorn. It also might not mean that Beorn has toy story legs if the red beard is Beorn.

And yeah, the longer legs are kind of a major sign that it is Beorn. I just think that Bolg being in the bigger, more expensive set based on a location he is likely going to be at in the film makes way more sense than Beorn being there.

Also, the Dol Guldur Ambush set wouldn't be an ambush if it contained two orcs and Bolg. That's just a battle pack. I have a feeling this set will have Elrond in his armour.

The one thing I'd love to see is a new Elven sword. A one handed silver sword would be great. Give it to the Mirkwood Elves in armour (hopefully we'll get those) with shields. Plus, it would be more accurate for Thranduil's sword, and it could be used for Orcrist.

Beorn would be at Dol Guldur to help gandalf cause in a recent book it said that Beorn informs Gandalf of the dangers there and thats why he goes there(along with radagast reasons)

Yeah a NEW elven sword in SILVER/GREY, the elven sword we got so far has never been correct and I do not understand why it was even made.

Bolg and 2 orc would be THE ambush, the set just wouldn't include the one being ambushed. A battle pack wouldn't have include a named figure. But yeah, it's mroe likely its Elrond.

From this quote; red beard isn't an Orc, it's either a human or an dwarf. I think when he says long legs, he just means regular legs, which are longer than dwarf legs- it might not mean Beorn. It also might not mean that Beorn has toy story legs if the red beard is Beorn.

So if it's regular legs, there is still a chance it's Bolg. Since prelims tend to be so blurry, it's difficult to distinguish details, like printing, but overall shape and how the fig seems to be acting on the box art (confronting Gandalf or confronting the orcs) can determine who it is. And the image we got of Bolg showed him wearing armour similar to that seen on the orcs in the most recent trailer, along with the fact that the background of said image looks a lot like Dol Guldur.

I wouldn't be surprised in Azog chases Thorin and Co. until the reach Laketown, but after trying to get into the city, he decides to wait for them, knowing that Thorin will eventually head towards Erebor. At this point, he could be summoned by Sauron to come to Dol Guldur to assist in the fight against Gandalf and Radagast. Azog would oblige, and that could explain his appearance at Dol Guldur. But this is all speculation on my part. It would be cool if Azog is like an agent of Sauron's, and Sauron allows him to roam freely as he wishes under the condition that when Sauron summons him for war, he must come.

Anyway, that kinda became slightly off-topic, but it would be a really cool way of explaining any involvement from Azog at Dol Guldur.

Well azog will aslso be in the third movie so its kindof the same.

Do we know that for sure? I haven't been following the movie info much. I just know, based on the book, Bolg plays a MUCH bigger role in the Bo5A than he does anywhere else (in fact he only shows up at the Bo5A). With this info Bolg seems like a shoe in for a third Hobbit wave while Azog seems like his role will/should diminish.

Edited by Deathleech

Do we know that for sure? I haven't been following the movie info much.

Manu Bennett confirmed in an interview that he is in films two and three quite extensively.

Can we please stop quoting long post if the responses don't directly relate to what was said in the quote?

This is especially true if the thing you are quoting is the post right above your response. It makes the forum hard to read, especially on a mobile device.