CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

The cg bio pictures was for the hobbit not lotr.

The site had LotR CGI pictures and bios, too. I've saved them all. :)

New site looks good; hopefully it'll be even better than the old when they finish ti next month.

The problem with TBS' Black Gate review is that he complains about the price. You can't slag a $60 for having 656 pieces - the standard "golden" ratio is a 10 cent PTP, and this set beats that - and you get double the savings when you buy it twice, as many are going to do.

He also complained Mines of Moria didn't include all 9 Fellowship minifigures and kept saying it was a bait and switch scam by Lego since them scattered them throughout different sets the first wave. He knocked the rating big time for it. Yes, because Lego is really going to include all 9 Fellowship minifigures, a Cave Troll, and 2 Moria Orcs in an $80 set :wacko:

Just another reason I am not a fan of TBS. Sometimes their reasoning is terrible.

Edited by Deathleech

Ok so I just got 4 uruk hai army sets for £15 each half price to go with the one I have already. So there goes my one of a set rule although if I say eomer is just an rohan soldier then it is a great battle pack although it would have been better if it had an elf in it too. But buying the set was much cheaper that bricklinking the mini figures. But what will the wife say.

Where the heck did you score UHA's for half price?

He also complained Mines of Moria didn't include all 9 Fellowship minifigures and kept saying it was a bait and switch scam by Lego since them scattered them throughout different sets the first wave. He knocked the rating big time for it. Yes, because Lego is really going to include all 9 Fellowship minifigures, a Cave Troll, and 2 Moria Orcs in an $80 set :wacko:

Just another reason I am not a fan of TBS. Sometimes their reasoning is terrible.

Agreed. It's like a review done by someone totally out of touch with lego, who randomly picks the first criticism off the top of their head and acts like it's some huge deal. There are many other reason to bash MoM - spreading out the Fellowship is not a scam, it's good business. Besides, a true fan will be buying more than one set from any given wave anyways.

Ok so I just got 4 uruk hai army sets for £15 each half price to go with the one I have already. So there goes my one of a set rule although if I say eomer is just an rohan soldier then it is a great battle pack although it would have been better if it had an elf in it too. But buying the set was much cheaper that bricklinking the mini figures. But what will the wife say.

This is the same reason I keep buying the whole set rather then BL'ing the minifigures. It's cheaper if you can find them for a good price plus then you end up with a bunch of free bricks essentially. I'm up to 17 Uruk-hai Army's and if I can keep the price low I'm going to just keep buying more.

The problem with TBS' Black Gate review is that he complains about the price. You can't slag a $60 for having 656 pieces - the standard "golden" ratio is a 10 cent PTP, and this set beats that - and you get double the savings when you buy it twice, as many are going to do.

I wouldn't judge whether a set is good value or not on price per piece ratio alone. It should also be judged on how substantial the set itself is.

I honestly cant wait for the UK release of these sets, does anyone know when they come out? (In the UK)?

Edited by Propicz89

I honestly cant wait for the UK release of these sets, dies anyone know when they come out? (In the UK)?

According to amazon, they will get the LOTR sets in stock on 3rd June :classic:

Does anyone have an explanation for the horribly misguided use of the color of Reddish Brown in the Black Gate? I will most certainly swap these out for dark gray and black pieces.

733px-D_79007_detail_2.jpg

733px-E_79007_detail_3.jpg

Does anyone have an explanation for the horribly misguided use of the color of Reddish Brown in the Black Gate? I will most certainly swap these out for dark gray and black pieces.

Yes, it's to represent the rust. I like it!

%23eastern_european_gate_constructed.png

Edited by deskp

Hmm. It looks too stylized as opposed to random like it should be, and I didn't notice the rust before. Still switching it out for aesthetic appeal.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Well, my TRU had all the sets, and I picked up Elrond's Council! :wink:

Also, the Wizard Duel has the $10 box. This kills my box to price theories! :sad:

I believe he's referring to the size, but I don't know.

@Just2good: How are the figs (Elrond and the lovely Arwen)?

Well, my TRU had all the sets, and I picked up Elrond's Council! :wink:

Also, the Wizard Duel has the $10 box. This kills my box to price theories! :sad:

I think it is thicker than the normal $10 boxes? It just feels that way, but I don't have any small sets to compare it to?

I wouldn't judge whether a set is good value or not on price per piece ratio alone. It should also be judged on how substantial the set itself is.

Agreed, but PTP matters a lot as the foundation of a worthwhile set - and the Black Gate has a solid look and the best minifigs in the wave (minus the undercooked orcs).

Edited by Darth Caedus

Agreed, but PTP matters a lot as the foundation of a worthwhile set - and the Black Gate has a solid look and the best minifigs in the wave (minus the undercooked orcs).

Plus it has two fairly large molds with the horse and eagle.

That's what I thought, too. Then I watched this review:

Looks like the gate comes apart rather quickly. The tower is only attached a the bottom. A second pair of techinc pins further up may have been useful.

What's the $10 box?

The box size used for $10 sets like Kai's Fire Robot and Riddles for the Ring. It's a very thick but small box.

@Just2good: How are the figs (Elrond and the lovely Arwen)?

I'm loving 'em! They look amazing!

I have the same rule: I want to buy just one of each set, never add even just a minifig when I'll display them all but if in the Black Gate instructions they show 2 Black Gates so I can buy 2 Black Gates. I know, it's seems ridiculous but I don't want to denature the original LEGO sets.

Creepy! I do that exact thing! Well, until I found out you could buy multiple Uruk-Hai Army sets and switched the Rohan heads.

According to amazon, they will get the LOTR sets in stock on 3rd June :classic:

I checked amazon uk and apparently it is the 3rd July they come in stock! Damn that's a shame I wanted to put the Gandalf and saruman one on my birthday list for 1st July!!!! The Tower is released early on 17th June in VIP system which I am in but its just so much money and I wouldn't be able to have much else for my birthday. Decisions, Decisions.

Edited by legofreak86

I checked amazon uk and apparently it is the 3rd July they come in stock! Damn that's a shame I wanted to put the Gandalf and saruman one on my birthday list for 1st July!!!! The Tower is released early on 17th June in VIP system which I am in but its just so much money and I wouldn't be able to have much else for my birthday. Decisions, Decisions.

I could swear it said 3rd June yesterday, hopefully else where like Argos will get them earlier :classic: