This is by far one of the most amazing projects I've ever seen, keep up the effort Carsten!

Well It's still in the shape I left in last, I just haven't been motivated to make any more progress, because every time there's a problem with the way the specific mechanism needs to work, the solution is so friggin' complex.

I quite literally get a headache whenever I've been building on it for too long, so I that's why it's not finished.

In fact, I already got the lid for the landing wheels figured out, I just need to get some stuff from Bricklink to fully complete it.

Then I still need to find a way to make the rear wing ailerons work. Space is extremely limited as it is.

And when those 2 things have been solved I'm actually done with the model.

Then I'd have to get it airborne which is a new challenge in it self.

I'm glad you like my work :)

I'm a big fan Carsten, we're rooting for you! Make us proud!

I recommend covering your wings with duct tape, it's light and strong

Edited by Chrisf98

I was thinking of some custom made propellers made in metal. I have no idea where I should order those though :sceptic: - An suggestions?

For motors I was thinking of either EMP or Leopard as they look good. I konw nothing about this stuff though.

If no one here knows anything, I'm gonna make an account on an airplane forum. and ask there for getting the optimal performance

Carsten,

I think that your project is excellent and is the only Lego aircraft that stands a cat in hell's chance of flying.

You have recognised that it is not "pure" Lego but is a hybrid so I think that you should take all the benefits that you can from that. I suggest:

Insert a second carbon fibre tube spar in the wing, or even a third (I think that the wing strength/stiffness will be critical)

Use RC coreless motors and matched propellers, with as large a LiPo battery as you can accommodate

Fit a six-plus channel receiver (to allow for all flight controls plus a spare channel)

Use RC servos with push rods for all control surfaces (to minimise weight and increase controllability)

Temporarily fix the undercarriage and remove Lego motors and battery (to minimise weight)

Check the Centre of Gravity position and adjust (vitally important)

Get someone with experience to be your test pilot

I think that duct tape is a good possibility for covering. It is cheap, available in colours (and transparent), easy to apply to each module and will add significantly to the rigidity of the model. Cut holes where you will need access to controls, etc and cover with patches. The downside is that the tape will be difficult to remove, perhaps impossible after a few weeks.

Very best wishes for the success of this intriguing project,

John

Yeah JohnBS is right, the duct tape is a great addition and cover for your airplane, there is also chrome duct tape and just regular chrome tape in case your livery includes chrome as a color, my Airbus A300 will have a lot of chrome duct tape :) so we could twin up

But yeah, point is, duct tape is a great addition to your airplane

Hey I recommend that before you get this thing to actually fly, use a wind tunnel and see if it flies and if it's actually stable before you take your chances and fly it in the environment.

If something happens to the plane in the wind tunnel, it will be a lot easier to repair it than when something happens to the plane when it's flying outside.

Also with a wind tunnel you will be able to discover stall speeds and aerodynamic loads before you actually fly the plane so that you will know what to expect already and know if it works once your flying in the air :)

Good idea, but most people don't have an abundance of wind tunnels

Hey I recommend that before you get this thing to actually fly, use a wind tunnel and see if it flies and if it's actually stable before you take your chances and fly it in the environment.

If something happens to the plane in the wind tunnel, it will be a lot easier to repair it than when something happens to the plane when it's flying outside.

Also with a wind tunnel you will be able to discover stall speeds and aerodynamic loads before you actually fly the plane so that you will know what to expect already and know if it works once your flying in the air :)

Good idea, but most people don't have an abundance of wind tunnels

Luckily for us, the principles of flight have been understood and characterized with equations for a hundred years, so it is easy to predict whether or not something will fly. Wind tunnels are only necessary for optimization.