Robominer

What do you do with LEGO set boxes?

The boxes that can easily be folded flat are currently being stored in a closet behind a giant pile of Christmas decorations. If I ever do tear down one of these big sets its nice to be able to keep the pieces in their original box, so I know where to find them. Just recently I have started to cut out the fronts and sometimes the backs of smaller sets to keep some of the art work, but without keeping all the bulk from the rest of the box. Like others, I keep all my instructions in 3-ring binders in page protectors.

- The Brick is Epic

Most boxes get flattened and saved for the cardboard. From time to time, I have a project that calls for cardboard. I'll split them along the seam and unfold and use for things like custom shipping boxes, protecting surfaces when painting, etc., templates, and whatever else I may need a piece of cardboard for. The rest go in the recycle bin.

Serious (related) question: do people really pay significantly more for used sets with a box?

Since it's used and already out of the box, it's no longer an MISB collectors item... I'm just saying, I wouldn't pay more for a used set just because it had the box. If I was buying as a collector, I'd want MISB.

While I sell things occasionally, it's normally not my plan, and as others have mentioned - I barely have enough room for the LEGO (and the instructions, which I do keep), I can't keep all those old boxes, even folded. I have several hundred sets... I've even taken to un-boxing new unbuilt sets to put in smaller storage containers (plastic shoe box size containers). The Black Pearl fits in ONE plastic shoebox, compared to that huge box it came it. Sometimes I have two or three sets stored in the one shoe box, so I don't even keep all the boxes for sets I haven't even built yet (but then I have no intention of selling them before building them and enjoying them myself first).

I recycle common set boxes, but exclusives and licensed I try and keep....$$$$$ in the future, but I doubt I will ever part with some of them ! :laugh:

Cut off the front. I might be able to find the space for the whole boxes, but, well, usually the back/side has some of the box torn as a result of the tape. I spend 5 minutes trying to take it off carefully, and yet it never does. :sceptic:

I have a few boxes (mostly from my modular sets and some exclusives) that I have flattened and wrapped in plastic so they don't get ruined. I don't plan on selling them ever, but you never know what may come up in the future - if they help bring in another buck if REALLY needed (or to support my new habit), then great! Otherwise, I keep my instructions in plastic sleeves and toss the boxes.