Sir Dillon

[MOC] Life Below

Hello!

Here is my latest build, part of the collaborative post-apocalypse display at BrickFair 2012. Be sure to check out Chris Edwards' photos of the whole display: [link]

7722576412_5da0a73fce.jpg

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!

This is massive and by massive I mean a massively awesome MOC! *oh2*:wub:

My favourite parts are the collapsed cellar and the little swamp/puddle/lake corner. In feedback terms: I think this MOC is perfect as it is - if I had to say something I might suggest changing the brown to dark brown and replacing the tan for the highest structure (the one above the dark red one) with dark tan. But that is a personal question of taste and especially presentation - I always perceive MOCs that I see in reality completely different to the way I look at them at a picture.

Stunning MOC and congrats on TBB blog! I really like the progression from tan to dark bley :thumbup: And your rock technique adds a very nice roughness :classic:

Thanks everyone!

Horry - I like your color suggestions and agree they probably would have improved the build. Unfortunately I do not have the pieces to make the changes. I decided to use my dark tan parts on the layer of ground instead of a building, and do not have many piecess in the dark brown color.

Absolutely epic build. :wub:

This was my favourite part of the entire layout.

It's really hard to give much useful feedback when this thing is already so incredible. The concept is brilliant. The quality is fantastic. The amount of actual details on such a large build is impressive.

My only thought is maybe you could have put some sort of tunnel or secret escape hatch to the surface? I couldn't find one and it feels very ... post-apocish to have such a tunnel - at least in my mind.

Though I have to ask - how did the layout come together? The completed layout was stunning, the slope and overall unified feel made it look like it was almost one person. How did you guys plan it out? Especially the angle of the slope ? did your team lay everything out exactly eg fourth row should be this height, with this angled slope ? or was it more get on site with a crazy amount of tan brick and built it along the way?

This is an amazing build. I really like how you managed to fit this life scene with all those details. I also like the structure of the walls around that below ground life.

Its great that you used some more colourful "buildings" to make a contrast to how you think life below would be.

-Aredhel

Thanks for the comments! I'm glad you all like the build.

My only thought is maybe you could have put some sort of tunnel or secret escape hatch to the surface? I couldn't find one and it feels very ... post-apocish to have such a tunnel - at least in my mind.

That's a good idea that I wish I had thought of. I originally wanted tunnels on either side of the creation, leading to the adjacent modules. The adjacent spots weren't claimed until after I was already past that part in my build though, so it was decided there are implied tunnels through the building doors or something. You can pretend the same thing leading up to the top building, but a visible tunnel of stairway would have been cool.

Though I have to ask - how did the layout come together? The completed layout was stunning, the slope and overall unified feel made it look like it was almost one person. How did you guys plan it out? Especially the angle of the slope ? did your team lay everything out exactly eg fourth row should be this height, with this angled slope ? or was it more get on site with a crazy amount of tan brick and built it along the way?

Carter was the layout coordinator, and he designed a topographic map of the overall display that was measured in bricks. Each participant could then build his section accordingly so everything would match up when we met at the convention.

However, this display ended up being a little too intense for most of the contributors, who did not finish their module on time or misread the map and their module was not the correct height. So everything was laid out ahead of time, but we ended up having a whole lot of on site building anyway. It took us until the last day BrickFair to finally get everything together properly. I think the end result is great, but it was a mess to make and we almost did not get it done.

Carter was the layout coordinator, and he designed a topographic map of the overall display that was measured in bricks. Each participant could then build his section accordingly so everything would match up when we met at the convention.

However, this display ended up being a little too intense for most of the contributors, who did not finish their module on time or misread the map and their module was not the correct height. So everything was laid out ahead of time, but we ended up having a whole lot of on site building anyway. It took us until the last day BrickFair to finally get everything together properly. I think the end result is great, but it was a mess to make and we almost did not get it done.

Building on site eh? You'd fit right in with a EB layout :rofl:

Fascinating... I really really really loved the completed layout... and would love to try something like this for a large layout... so it's interesting to hear how you guys approached it.

Did everyone build like yours? the 'full' height? or were most of the modules built on some platform that someone had built?

*oh2* Wow! It's incredibly massive and yet so incredibly detailed. I wish I could've been at BrickFair to see it in real life. I love the near-collapsing cavern roof and the multiple colours of rock. Outstanding MOC. :sweet:

Thanks purpleparadox!

Did everyone build like yours? the 'full' height? or were most of the modules built on some platform that someone had built?

The subway along the one edge was all by one person, and others coordinated with him and placed their modules on top of his. Other than that everyone along the edge built the whole height. Many of the people in the middle did not build supports for their creations, so we have everything from stacks of miscellaneous bricks to boxes and pick-a-brick cups holding up the modules.

I wish I could've been at BrickFair to see it in real life.

so why weren't you?

Sorry. But all kidding aside, I agree with you on the greatness of this build. All the angles and details seem absolutely perfect! My favorite detail is the mysterious cloaked man beside the uppermost structure.