Blondie-Wan

LEGOLAND article in old National Geographic World

Eons ago, when I was a kid, National Geographic had a spinoff publication for kids called National Geographic World (some years ago it became National Geographic Kids, or something like that). At some point, somewhere from the mid-'70s to early '80s, it ran an article on LEGOLAND - the original one in Denmark. I first learned of the existence of the park through that article, and for some years now I've been interested in seeing the article again, but I don't know exactly which issue had it; I don't even know what year it was. Might anyone here know the one I mean?

Wow! I remember reading that article and gawking at the pictures of all the incredibly detailed models that were built. Specifically a picture of an airport with jets taxiing around comes to mind. I was amazed how detailed everything was to the point where I had trouble believing it was actually real LEGO.

I think that specific issue must have come out around 1978 or 1979. My best friend in elementary school got that magazine and had that issue at his house.

World was a great magazine- I loved the back cover with the nine close-up photos of objects that you had to guess what they were.

Sigh... about 10 years ago I remember seeing a horrific sight.... a huge trash heap of "spent" LEGOLAND LEGO models that had either faded or weathered after many years, and were replaced by more modern models. It was a heartbreaking sight to see all those models getting ready for the garbage truck to turn them to ABS mulch.

What is interesting about the old LEGOLAND Miiniland models compared to those of today, is that the old ones used classic windows, which were retired in 1986... and when those models were trashed... the replacement buildings were built differently... picturing new LEGOLAND models with a sea of the back of headlight bricks.... :-(

It was a heartbreaking sight to see all those models getting ready for the garbage truck to turn them to ABS mulch.

Actually I'm pretty sure all the used bricks get melted down and made into shiny new bricks again; sure I read that somewhere. Anyway I'm sure it still is an awful sight...

Eons ago, when I was a kid, National Geographic had a spinoff publication for kids called National Geographic World (some years ago it became National Geographic Kids, or something like that). At some point, somewhere from the mid-'70s to early '80s, it ran an article on LEGOLAND - the original one in Denmark. I first learned of the existence of the park through that article, and for some years now I've been interested in seeing the article again, but I don't know exactly which issue had it; I don't even know what year it was. Might anyone here know the one I mean?

I remember that same article, and that is how I also first heard about LEGOLAND! I remember the LEGO Mount Rushmore and the fishing village and boats. It took until this year for me to finally get to visit one! There is a slim chance I might be able to get my hands on that issue. I will check and post back.

I first visited Legoland in Denmark back in the 1980s a couple of times and again this summer. I must say that the feeling in Miniland was absolutely like it used to be (except trees had grown taller), although I'm sure much of the models have been swapped around and refurbished many times. While the park has expanded greatly, they've stayed very true to the original concept - that was nice. It would be fun to see a picture or two of that magazine article (or maybe I need to hunt down some 1980s photos of mine), to see what details have changed.

(BTW: I posted some Legoland 2012 pictures here: http://questforcastle.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/legoland-billund/ - I'll try to post some more photos of Miniland as it now stands when I get the chance.)

I believe I still have a few pages of that article. When I was a kid back in the 70s/80s I kept all my instructions and catalogs in a shoebox. Pages from that Natgeo World article were tucked away in there too. The contents of that shoebox are still all together somewhere.... I will see if I can't track down the pages and post a scan.

-- Bryan

Edited by BryanKinkel

I remember that same article, and that is how I also first heard about LEGOLAND! I remember the LEGO Mount Rushmore and the fishing village and boats. It took until this year for me to finally get to visit one! There is a slim chance I might be able to get my hands on that issue. I will check and post back.

I believe I still have a few pages of that article. When I was a kid back in the 70s/80s I kept all my instructions and catalogs in a shoebox. Pages from that Natgeo World article were tucked away in there too. The contents of that shoebox are still all together somewhere.... I will see if I can't track down the pages and post a scan.

-- Bryan

That would be terrific! Thanks to you both for checking, even if you aren't successful.

Galaxy Explorer, I also recall the Miniland airport with all the LEGO planes and such, and Flying Ace, that model of Mount Rushmore is the thing that has stayed with me most strongly all these decades. Your LEGOLAND experience seems pretty close to mine in other ways - like you, I read that article back in the day, when I was a lot younger and smaller, but I didn't ever get to go to LEGOLAND myself until just recently, even though that article permanently planted the idea of the park in my mind along with a desire to go there.

I was actually born the same year that first original LEGOLAND opened, discovered LEGO bricks around six or seven years later, saw the World article just a few years after that, grew up playing with LEGO for several years, entered my dark ages, found my way out of them about ten years ago, became a bigger LEGO fan than ever before in the last several years and finally got to go to a LEGOLAND for the first time just last year, when LEGOLAND Florida opened (my first visit was actually two days before the official opening, during a passholder preview day).

I'd really love to see that article again (or even just nail down exactly when it was published). I haven't seen it in decades, and yet it's been part of my mental furniture ever since I first saw it; I'm pretty sure it'll stick with me the rest of my life.

Good stuff. It will be interesting to see what that article looked like, if someone can post a pic or two! I missed it at the time.

I'll try to post some more photos of Miniland as it now stands when I get the chance.)

Since the Danish LEGOLAND is topical, I got around to posting my gallery of the various LEGO buildings and scenes there now - aka the Miniland. 42 photos in total here: http://questforcastle.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/miniland/

Is this the one?

No, although that might also be very interesting. The one I'm thinking of was published several years earlier, when I was still a kid; I turned 21 in 1989 (I was born in '68, the same year the original LEGOLAND opened in Billund). "My" article has to have been sometime from the mid-'70s to the early '80s; Galaxy Explorer's recollection of it being in '78 or '79 sounds about right to me. But thanks for checking! :classic:

I first visited Legoland in Denmark back in the 1980s a couple of times and again this summer. I must say that the feeling in Miniland was absolutely like it used to be (except trees had grown taller), although I'm sure much of the models have been swapped around and refurbished many times. While the park has expanded greatly, they've stayed very true to the original concept - that was nice. It would be fun to see a picture or two of that magazine article (or maybe I need to hunt down some 1980s photos of mine), to see what details have changed.

(BTW: I posted some Legoland 2012 pictures here: http://questforcastle.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/legoland-billund/ - I'll try to post some more photos of Miniland as it now stands when I get the chance.)

Good stuff. It will be interesting to see what that article looked like, if someone can post a pic or two! I missed it at the time.

Since the Danish LEGOLAND is topical, I got around to posting my gallery of the various LEGO buildings and scenes there now - aka the Miniland. 42 photos in total here: http://questforcastle.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/miniland/

BTW, questforcastle, your blog entries have also been stirring a lot of memories; your LEGOLAND bit in particular induced about as much nostalgia for that NatGeo World article as my own long-awaited initial visits to LEGOLAND (Florida) last year and this year did, if not more so. And tangentially, I've been really enjoying the rest of your blog entries on other aspects of the LEGO experience over the years - what's changed, what's stayed the same, etc. :thumbup:

Edited by Blondie-Wan

BTW, questforcastle, your blog entries have also been stirring a lot of memories; your LEGOLAND bit in particular induced about as much nostalgia for that NatGeo World article as my own long-awaited initial visits to LEGOLAND (Florida) last year and this year did, if not more so. And tangentially, I've been really enjoying the rest of your blog entries on other aspects of the LEGO experience over the years - what's changed, what's stayed the same, etc. :thumbup:

Thank you! I must admit, so far getting to my AFOL groove this year has been one huge nostalgia trip. Going to LEGOLAND this summer wasn't my idea, but let's say when the opportunity presented itself, I grabbed it *quite* eagerly... :wink: It was well worth it, too.

cape_kennedy.jpg

Is this an image from the article?

I had it saved on my hard drive for several years, but I can't remember exactly where online I originally found it (note it says scanned by Dino?)

Is this an image from the article?

Wow! It certainly looks like it might have been, though I'm honestly not sure. It certainly appears to be a photo from a LEGOLAND park in that era, though, whether it's from that particular World article or not. Thanks for digging it up! :thumbup:

If anyone is still interested in this topic, I have a copy of the article. Evidently I had cut it out of the issue when I was growing up. I'm not sure which issue it was but I'm sure its from 1978.