Sign in to follow this  
JopieK

New Narrow Gauge Train in 4204 City Miners Set

While it's a shame that the set doesn't look like it will have any new narrow-gauge straight tracks that work with the current NG stuff, I am rather excited about this set: While I've made a mining locomotive, it's of the type that hauls the ore/coal from the mine to a freight terminal to be loaded onto standard-gauge trains, wereas this set has an actual in-mine locomotive! I'm thinking about modding it to work with the coupling rigs I use for my NG trains so that the mine loco can haul the side-dump hopper cars from the depths of the mine to the surface, where the Heistler locomotive can haul them down to the standard gauge exchange....

I definitely think this is a move in the right direction. TLG should try to come up with as many and as diverse vehicles as they possibly can, and marketing a narrow-gauge mine train, if it is fairly simple, is a nice way to please train fans as well. Besides, if this one had been designed any more complex or supplied with new / more rails, that would have increased the price dramatically to a point where it wouldn't have made sense any longer.

Whilst it might not qualify as a new engine, the yellow mine trolley in Lego 4204 "The mine" might provide some inspiration.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/The-Mine-4204

By adding an additional single rail inside a piece of straight track, it might be possible to incorporate standard and narrow gauge in a single line. Maybe a siding to an industrial area?

Something to think about!

Whilst it might not qualify as a new engine, the yellow mine trolley in Lego 4204 "The mine" might provide some inspiration.

By adding an additional single rail inside a piece of straight track, it might be possible to incorporate standard and narrow gauge in a single line. Maybe a siding to an industrial area?

I believe this has been discussed once before. I'm moved your topic here.

Would the tram from Public Transportion work on this? If it did, it would look better that usng train tracks, if it works on those as I don't have one to try. They would just need to make curved ones somehow.

There are 8 pieces of straight track included in 4204 The Mine. The mine train is four studs wide and uses part 4600 Plate, Modified 2x2 with Wheels Holder for the small train wheels.

The tram from 8404 uses 2926 Plate, Modified 1x4 with Wheels Holder and can use the standard train track although I suppose you can construct a custom base for the straight rails in 4204.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA!

Dave

There are 8 pieces of straight track included in 4204 The Mine. The mine train is four studs wide and uses part 4600 Plate, Modified 2x2 with Wheels Holder for the small train wheels.

The tram from 8404 uses 2926 Plate, Modified 1x4 with Wheels Holder and can use the standard train track although I suppose you can construct a custom base for the straight rails in 4204.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA!

Dave

Or simply mount the track pieces with a 4 stud gap instead of the 2 stud gap used in the Mine Set...

Or simply mount the track pieces with a 4 stud gap instead of the 2 stud gap used in the Mine Set...

I was originally interested in mounting one rail on a standard PF straight track to make a 'dual gauge' rail. In other words, the narrow gauge uses either the left of right rail from the standard track. I'm not sure who has tried this yet but the curved track is obviously still an issue!

Edited by Thom2304

my favorite part. i put on the head with glasses (thats me. also the rectengular ones.) it and the dril are two of my favorites. and what do you think of 7898.

Edited by jerrie11