Spaceman8811

NASA Deep Space Habitat Model and Rover

This is my LEGO version of NASA's Deep Space Habitat project that is aimed at creating a planetary base and vehicles for astronauts to live and work in on future space exploration missions. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be really appreciated!

More info can be found here on LEGO CUUSOO HERE

6815811770_a981ba25dc.jpg NewHDUPHOTOSHOPgenericxhab by Critical28, on Flickr

6815811710_3a3266ba55.jpg

Habitatwith roverPhotoshop4 by Critical28, on Flickr

Thanks!

Lovely overall design compared to the real thing. Though if it was more in minifig scale you could get some more playabilty out of it. Maybe throw in a couple of astronauts as well. :classic:

Excellent digital designing there 'Spaceman8811', I too see the humour in Logistics/Hygiene. :grin:

Brick On in space 'Spaceman8811' ! :grin:

Excellent digital designing there 'Spaceman8811', I too see the humour in Logistics/Hygiene. :grin:

Brick On in space 'Spaceman8811' ! :grin:

Very nice. ...

it's sad that we won't be actually getting there anytime soon.... :(

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the support. I'm also really excited to see people talk about the importance of space exploration. I had the honor of working on the real Habitat while interning at NASA and fell in love with the space program. Part of my motivation behind this project is the need for space education and for more people like you guys who appreciate the value of exploration and adventure. Thank you so much!

As a 20-year member of the National Space Society, I would gladly support this as some sort of more "realistic" space theme.

Now I need to get back to work on my minifig-scale space capsule inspired by modern capsule designs like Dragon and Orion... don't think I will be able to fit more than 4 crew in it as minifigs can't be crammed in as tight as actual humans.

I have the exterior shape built except for figuring out how to make the nose such that it helps hold the angled bulkhead panels together... whole thing is sort of too fragile at this stage to bother with the interior yet.

Once that finally done, service module?

Capsules - everything that's old is new again!

As a 20-year member of the National Space Society, I would gladly support this as some sort of more "realistic" space theme.

Now I need to get back to work on my minifig-scale space capsule inspired by modern capsule designs like Dragon and Orion... don't think I will be able to fit more than 4 crew in it as minifigs can't be crammed in as tight as actual humans.

I have the exterior shape built except for figuring out how to make the nose such that it helps hold the angled bulkhead panels together... whole thing is sort of too fragile at this stage to bother with the interior yet.

Once that finally done, service module?

Capsules - everything that's old is new again!

That's a really cool idea. I would like to work on a LEGO version of the Soyuz, but one project at a time.

That's a really cool idea. I would like to work on a LEGO version of the Soyuz, but one project at a time.

I've seen a couple people make versions of Mercury capsules, but as they only hold 1 person it is a whole 'nother thing to try to build a capsule shape a lot bigger than that... at this point I'm just glad I have made something that size in the shape of a hollow cone. I've only just started building again after my 20-year Dark Age; this is actually only my 2nd space MOC project since then so I am still learning how to build with all the new elements that have come out.

I do however have a prototype capsule built with slope bricks that is of a shape about halfway between an Apollo lander and a proper capsule; it is the same size as the new version and holds 4 crew, but it looked too squarish and blocky to me. Also, had no hatch so crew was permanently sealed in :0

Now to stop derailing your thread; that is a good design and when I supported it on Cuusoo I indicated I would be willing to purchase multiple sets due to the modular nature so you could build a bigger outpost.

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the support. I'm also really excited to see people talk about the importance of space exploration. I had the honor of working on the real Habitat while interning at NASA and fell in love with the space program. Part of my motivation behind this project is the need for space education and for more people like you guys who appreciate the value of exploration and adventure. Thank you so much!

Sorry to derail this again... but.... could you tell us a bit more of about what you did? That sounds utterly fascinating...

While it's all fun to build all these way out there Sci-Fi creations - sometimes it's nice to see and hear about REAL space exploration. As it sadly seems to be falling out of the public's imagination ... so please share with us and spark that interest again :thumbup:

This makes me want to scrap my current project and build something... REAL.

--

On another unrelated note - the coolest connection to Space travel is I got to go see a Atlantis take off last year - best 2 minutes of my life :laugh: