Selander

MOD: 7760 Power Functions Version

Who doesn't like the iconic 7760 ? Here in a fully autonome PF version with a standard PF train motor modded to have a pair of center-wheels to give a more 7760:ish look.

I use a PP3 battery which is hidden behind panels 1x4x3, and that way it has been possible to respect the original overall dimensions.

Hope you acknowledge the 7760-feel :laugh:

6917850615_d0d8e90d28_z_d.jpg

6917850423_dfc648fa8f_z_d.jpg

Some interiour shots:

6785915408_2769a17f8b_z_d.jpg

6932032531_bbd62104f2_z_d.jpg

6785915652_0492ba947d_z_d.jpg

Edited by Selander

Hi

Would you be so kind to share how you modded this one to have a pair of center-wheels?

Pictures?

Regards

Øyvind

Someone posted a method to open pf motor and add a technic pin with axle head. Probably a month ago,

Hi

Would you be so kind to share how you modded this one to have a pair of center-wheels?

Pictures?

Regards

Øyvind

Hello Öyvind,

below you have links where you will find pictures - let me know if you need more info.

Eurobricks link

Swebrick post in Swedish

Edited by Selander

Thank you very much for the links and help. Iv always wanted to do this:-)

I added some interiour pictures to the first post, hope you like them. :tongue:

I added some interiour pictures to the first post, hope you like them. :tongue:

It is really cool that you managed to fit the 4 wide IR receiver and a nice cockpit. Do you have an on/off switch hidden in there?

I also want to make sure I understand the PF sandwich you've got in there. I think that what you've got is the top one is from your PP3 battery. Is the middle one the loop back from the IR receiver, and then the bottom one (with the blue 1x2 plate in between to prevent contact) is the motor? I think your use of the snot and blue grills to cover one stud of the IR receiver is ingenious. Having that 4 wide piece, and the only part of the engine wider than 4 studs be the cabin certainly makes fitting everything tricky.

Beautiful model, made more so by being fully functional given the technical constraints.

Who doesn't like the iconic 7760 ?

Nice job Selander. It's amazing how these classic/vintage 12V trains have become legendary and even with all the sophisticated and modern building designs and specialized pieces of today's LEGO, trains like the Blue Shunter still stand out as "fan favorites".

Creating a PF version must have been tricky with the PF parts and I see that you still have cabin space for the minifig. Nice job! :thumbup:

I tried my hand at building a 9V red version a few years back attempting to use as many of the same parts as the original (I was lucky to have a few of the 2x3 windows from my old Brick Yard).

Let me see...

Here she is:

shunterout.jpg

Link for more pictures

I really enjoyed shunting in my train yard. :classic:

Your blue version is quite nice and much like the original. Great MOD!

It is really cool that you managed to fit the 4 wide IR receiver and a nice cockpit. Do you have an on/off switch hidden in there?

I also want to make sure I understand the PF sandwich you've got in there. I think that what you've got is the top one is from your PP3 battery. Is the middle one the loop back from the IR receiver, and then the bottom one (with the blue 1x2 plate in between to prevent contact) is the motor? I think your use of the snot and blue grills to cover one stud of the IR receiver is ingenious. Having that 4 wide piece, and the only part of the engine wider than 4 studs be the cabin certainly makes fitting everything tricky.

Beautiful model, made more so by being fully functional given the technical constraints.

Thanks cpw !

There is no on/off switch. I have to (physically) separate the two connectors from each other.

I kept a small piece of the original flat cable sticking out like a "handle" out of the upper connector,

which makes it easier to separate them, without putting the soldered wires under tension.

You figured out the "identity" of each connector 100% correct !

I agree it is tricky to fit it all in the 7760, PF components are a bit "bulky" and the long and stiff PF cables can be a headache....

Motor cable and IR-cable are completely "original" and goes in a loop and rests under the PP3-battery.

Battery is powered by a home made adaptor cable assembly.

Edited by Selander

@Brickster: Sorry for the old bump.

@Selander and others; I recently acquired a bunch of blue parts to make up a 7760 - unfortunately not the ulta rare windows but the rest is pretty much there. (I already resurected one 7760 reusing a black weight hidden in the front nose). I was considering a similar mod switching to using the PF motor and adding Zephyr's new custom rods to make it a PF 7760... (ish). Do you have any other pictures (I noticed some of the flickr links were not working).

@All: Over christmas i will probably continue on my conversion of older models to look more in keeping with modern freight terminals (4x8 crates to become 6x16 etc). I have a load of container loading cranes; but the switching locomotives look a bit strange. Which other shunter / switcher style's exist which are perhaps similar to good old blue 7760 but not quite the same? I was thinking about some of BR's models - but when I look at the little shunters from Marc Bellis or Hrw-Amen im kind of inspired; but dont know a *** about switcher naming conventions or designs. I just know what I like.

@Selander and others; Do you have any other pictures (I noticed some of the flickr links were not working).

@All: Over christmas i will probably continue on my conversion of older models to look more in keeping with modern freight terminals (4x8 crates to become 6x16 etc). I have a load of container loading cranes; but the switching locomotives look a bit strange. Which other shunter / switcher style's exist which are perhaps similar to good old blue 7760 but not quite the same? I was thinking about some of BR's models - but when I look at the little shunters from Marc Bellis or Hrw-Amen im kind of inspired; but dont know a *** about switcher naming conventions or designs. I just know what I like.

@roamingstudio: You'll find the interiour shots I took, in the Swebrick link I provided in an earlier post in this thread.

Secondly, as far as I understand you want proposals for switchers?

One of my personal favorites is Deutche bahn BR 365 (V60), can be built in a red color scheme which is great since ther are tons of lego train elements in red. (including a PF battery box)

I've made some attempts which can be found in my fickr link below.

Also SBB EE 3/3 in Reddish brown is a nice source of inspiration for a small shunter.

Edited by Selander

Thanks for the feedback Seelander - I will definitely go in search of the Lug photos.

As to other shunters; I have previously tried a EE 3/3 but getting rods / links working well was not so good. It will work well with Zephyr's custom rods; just not yet had the time to go back to the design / purchase stage. The BR 365 (V60) would also work out the same way.

Since I had some spare 7760 bits I was thinking of some other similar sized blue locomotives for the harbour scene; I just have no idea what 7760 was even based upon (if anything). Im definitely not a train head. I did consider a blue 7755 locomotive as a bigger brother companion; but it will be hard to build without too many extra blue weights.

I love the updated 7760 blue shunter just because it's such a classic and instantly recognisable icon. If I built one myself it would have to have a pantograph on it though since I don't do diesels. The trick with adding the centre wheels is a good one and I'm going to try that as soon as the PF motor blocks I've got on order arrive. Next trick will be to fit up some siderods, but I suppose that isn't impossible to do.

Loco-Annie - I thought you just wrote that old models (7740) should not be changed (instead expensive custom roof) and yet here you are saying that 7760 should receive Pantographs. What is the world coming to?

Loco-Annie - I thought you just wrote that old models (7740) should not be changed (instead expensive custom roof) and yet here you are saying that 7760 should receive Pantographs. What is the world coming to?

Not an original 7760 mind you, - I'm talking about an updated copy made from new bricks. If an original 7760 set came my way it would be treated with the respect it deserves.

Edited by Locomotive Annie

That is really neat, I guess you would never have managed it with a LEGO battery box unless you wanted a grey one. But this is really neat, espeically hiding the IR Unit like that and still being able to fit the driver in the cab. Excellent work.