Darkdragon

[Review] New LEGO Camera

As some of you may know, there is a new camera. I first saw it in LEGO Friends: Emma's Design Studio, but I'm sure it will make it's way into many other sets this year. The new camera is not one of the biggest hyped changes, as a matter of fact, many people don't even know it's a new mold. I thought it would be nice to see it in close-up view and in use by some minifigs, and I thought you might be interested to see it too. I hope this review can enlighten some of you that may not have known about the new camera. Please feel free to leave your comments too!

For all you non-reading folks - each of the images is clickable to open a high-res version (1600px) of the image.

Jimmy Olsen and Peter Parker are visiting the zoo today to help us compare the new and old minifig cameras from LEGO. The new camera is found in the Friends sets.

6804776935_e9c5b7f646_b.jpg

Here we see the relaxed position. The camera on the left is the new, on the right the old. As you can see the new camera allows total movement on the hand. The old camera the hole on the grip is too narrow to allow it to move over the hand.

6804776675_cb45fb399a_z.jpg

In the upright photo-taking position you can see the real issue with the old camera. A minifig could never get a straight horizon line! with the new camera we can get a nice straight camera right in front of the minifig eye.

I'm sure we can expect many much better photos from minifigs now. :laugh:

6809774481_83d420cb52_z.jpg

Here are the close-up photos I promised you. It's always in groups of two, and the new camera is always on the left. The new camera looks a lot like a modern dSLR. It has the larger rounded flash area, a lens release, a rounded grip on the left, and a smaller shutter button. The main improvement, though, is the grip gap. This is the part of the new design that allows the camera to pivot completely on a minifig hand.

Edited by darkdragon

Thanks for the review. I always had problem lining up the old camera with the minifig eye. Is it only available in Friends?

Thanks for the review. I always had problem lining up the old camera with the minifig eye. Is it only available in Friends?

No. It has been around for a few years. The first time I saw it was in this set.

7567-1.jpg

No. It has been around for a few years. The first time I saw it was in this set.

That is the old camera.

Edited by darkdragon

Now, that is interesting - it seems like an exact parallel to the new lifejackets, because I've got that set with the old camera in it. I wonder if it's the same part ID as well (I understand that's the case with the lifejackets)?

In the pic it is, but in the set it isn't. (Same as the new life-jackets)

I have that set and the camera in mine is the old-style one. Maybe they were transitioning to the new mould while that set was in production?

Intersting if the new camera has been in sets last year. I have had three copies if that impulse set and all had the old camera. Also I wonder why none of the sellers on Bricklink seem to have noticed - there still is no new entry for the new camera. I'll be submitting the new camera info to bricklink tonight though.

It does appear that both cameras have the same Lego element ID

Now, that is interesting - it seems like an exact parallel to the new lifejackets, because I've got that set with the old camera in it. I wonder if it's the same part ID as well (I understand that's the case with the lifejackets)?

I have that set and the camera in mine is the old-style one. Maybe they were transitioning to the new mould while that set was in production?

Intersting if the new camera has been in sets last year. I have had three copies if that impulse set and all had the old camera. Also I wonder why none of the sellers on Bricklink seem to have noticed - there still is no new entry for the new camera. I'll be submitting the new camera info to brucklink tonight though.

It dies appear that both cameras have the same Lego element ID

I have multiples of the set, and some had the new piece and some didn't.

Interesting. I definitively like the new one better. Aside from being held better by minifigures, it looks nicer I think.

I like the modern look of the new one. It looks very similar to my dSLR

This new part is officially in the Bricklink catalog now :)

So I suppose the old style will become a collectable since the LEGO ID didn't change, that means they just updated the mold.

I like the subtle change, seems to be what was needed.

Nice part review, 'darkdragon'! It is interesting how the new camera kept the old camera's part number.

Actually, I didn't notice there was 2 different molds. It is pretty informative and thank you for this nifty feature. :thumbup: