Sign in to follow this  
El Bucanero

Progress of the Acheron

Like some of you already know, I am building the Acheron, and I thought you guys might be interested in it's progress, the building is going smoothly, the problem is that I can only finish one half of it *wacko*

A previous version, I added masts and a cabin because it looked nice

acheron_in_progress.jpg

This is how she looks now:

side_shot.jpg

And here is the other half :-(

unfinished_gun_deck.jpg

La folder when moderated

I am terribly sorry about the bad resolution from the pics, I was forced to use paint :-( .

Now tell me how do you like it?

Mr Tiber

My general impressions is very positive.

The cabin: I think you really integrated the cabin very well in the ship. This is often a problem on many ships I see.

Colors: The colors go well together, however I might have used another color for the gun ports to get some contrast. Maybe use black for these (and these are not too expensive on BL). However, I'm not 100% sure this will be better :-) ...

Size: I like the size. 6 mid-hull sections is a lot. Maybe I might buy 1 more for the ship that I'm building (I have currently 5 mid-hull sections). Howmuch guns will the ship have when it is finished?

The size of your pictures is actually much better now. Before It would take a very long time for me to view your picts (and I have a fast ADSL internet connection).

Did you use part from your other ships to build this one or are you using other parts?

Why could you only finish half of the ship? Lack of time or bricks?

I love to see some more pictures when you progress.

The real Acheron can mount 44 cannons, but when finished, mine can probarly mount more... I only have 21... and yes I had to use parts from other ships, poor unpredictable...*sad* A moment of silent please...

Just kidding X-D

I am terribly sorry about the bad resolution from the pics, I was forced to use paint :-( .

Now tell me how do you like it?

Mr Tiber

Why were you forced to use Paint, I thought you had Irfan View and Corel Draw?

I would be curious to know what that grey thing on the the bow deck is?

Very nice looking, indeed!

Are the topmasts stepped abaft mainmasts correct? It doesn't look right to me... (I know sometimes (rarely) topgallant masts were stepped abaft the topmasts, but topmasts abaft the mainmasts seems particularly odd.)

It is not right indeed, but If I turn it the other way, the sail beams can't be added, there is no hole on the other side, and besides, the masts are only added so the hull would look nice.

Wonderful ship, so far, Mr Tiber. 'Tis a shame the images can't be blown up to effectively scrutinize the work. Now what is that light grey object near the bow of the ship? Gun port pattern is great to look at and adds more detail to the ship. The raised sides don't at all distract. Fabulous work.

Lately, your creations have incorporated a lot of red. I'm wondering if you plan to build differently colored ships soon. (It's perfectly fine if you are constrained to the color. Only curious.)

The real Acheron can mount 44 cannons, but when finished, mine can probarly wount more... I only have 21... and yes I had to use parts from other ships, poor unpredictable...

According to Wikipedia there are 7 different ships named "Acheron" so exactly which one are you basing yours on Mr Tiber?

Well here's a picture of the Acheron's gun deck...

farside07-l.jpg

Apparently the Acheron in Master and Commander was based on the USS Constitution...

USS_Constitution_1997.jpg

Wonderful ship, so far, Mr Tiber. 'Tis a shame the images can't be blown up to effectively scrutinize the work. Now what is that light grey object near the bow of the ship? Gun port pattern is great to look at and adds more detail to the ship. The raised sides don't at all distract. Fabulous work.

Lately, your creations have incorporated a lot of red. I'm wondering if you plan to build differently colored ships soon. (It's perfectly fine if you are constrained to the color. Only curious.)

Yarrr, A light grey object? maybe it be the telephone... It is red because the Acheron is red and black in the movie.

The real Acheron can mount 44 cannons, but when finished, mine can probarly wount more... I only have 21... and yes I had to use parts from other ships, poor unpredictable...

According to Wikipedia there are 7 different ships named "Acheron" so exactly which one are you basing yours on Mr Tiber?

Yarrr, the Master and commander Acheron isn't on that bloody site...rumm...

This light grey "thing" looks a lot like Mr Tibers carronade...

dsc02081.jpg

Yarrr! that is good, there must be lots o' pics of the Constituition, instead of the acheron, aye...

Yes, Google Image Search the Constitution as you'll probably find plenty of reference images. Not that I've tried myself so I could be mistaken.

The cabin of me ship will be changed, I noticed the ship had an almost flushed deck, and the cabin is to high for that maties...

"An almost flushed deck"? Exactly what do you mean by that Mr Tiber?

Like some of you already know, I am building the Acheron, and I thought you guys might be interested in it's progress, the building is going smoothly, the problem is that I can only finish one half of it *wacko*

Mr Tiber

M Tiber why can you only finish one half of this ship?

Do you not have enough parts to make it complete?