Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Is this also your entry for the new challenge? I like this MOC very much! Clever idea and well done! :thumbup:

no, just practice :sweet:

great stuff everyone! and it is great to see some members building again!

My Challenge IV is progressing. problem for me is when I seem to get a good start on a build, and have time. I tend to keep changing it up. I am working on probably my 3rd or 4th change to my elemental.

Great to see and hear that Avalonia is moving forward with mocs and challenges! Tonight I hope to be able to continue my challenge moc..

Landscaping is coming good! Does anyone know where on the map is unclaimed land?

Also: Does anyone know how often LEGO stores have brown tiles on their PaB wall?

Landscaping is coming good! Does anyone know where on the map is unclaimed land?

Also: Does anyone know how often LEGO stores have brown tiles on their PaB wall?

1: check the avalonia map V3 thread and check where you want and see whether it's claimed or not.

2:in my case never (I still await the coming of a PaB wall in New Zealand)

More practice! this is actually alot of fun :sweet:

7552571366_b7b53cfd13_c.jpg

I am pretty sure our Cartographer said he was going to have an updated version by the end of this month. but like LD said, the best way would be to look at the Avaloinia Map thread and see what you can find.

As to the brown tiles, the 1x4 ones have been pretty common over the last year or two here in the states.

Mikey

I wish I had PaB walls in Sweden! It would be great to pick some reddish brown tiles! I´ve to go to bricklink and get me some more! :classic:

LD: That last microscale is awesome! The rockwork is brilliant! Do you sit and find pieces that looks intresting and put it on the rock and see if it works or not? :classic:

LD: That last microscale is awesome! The rockwork is brilliant! Do you sit and find pieces that looks intresting and put it on the rock and see if it works or not? :classic:

thanks! for the rockwork I found as many small (eg cheese slopes) dark bley parts and randomly assembled them, it's quite fun!

Coming soon:

<snip>

Very nice!

As I expected, I have modified my Challenge IV build once again. This time I hope it adds more to the overall scene. I really should just wait to start building the challenges a week or so before they are due. I keep changing everything and ordering more parts off bricklink!

Coming soon:

SNIP

WOAAHH! How'd you do that!? :wub_drool:*oh2* That's a lot of cheese slopes in different colors.

Wow Meph! That looks great! The cheese slopses works great as wall not just floors! :classic:

Edited by de Gothia

Coming soon:

looking good! I like how you have your own unique style (and lots of cheese! *oh2*)

What is an illegal technique?

Here is the final version:

dscn6603.jpg

Woodward Stables

Looks awesome!

An illegal technique is a technique where something is held together without a proper connection, or where too much stress is put on a part. Stacking cheese slopes is an example, as there is no connection between them. All that really means though, is that you wouldn't see the Lego company used that technique in an official set.

Thanks for clarification. Fortunately for me I don't give a megablock if a technique is legal or not (well just don1t use glue :tongue: ). I care for aesthetics only.

...I don't give a megablock if a technique is legal or not...

Signed! Otherwise all of my mocs would have an "illegal"-status. Its such a pointless discussion..

Oh Beerbeard, you sure know how to get people riled up. :laugh: The cheese technique is great, and it really doe not stress the parts. (Unlike techniques that feature extensive part stress like making trees out of robot arms.)

I happen to have discussed this with Lego's own personnel and they define illegal as using glue, cutting parts, taking minifigures arms and legs out. I don't believe cheese slope mosaics are considered illegal just because they're not firmly attacked via a stud. Think of all the loose jewels and accessories that come with any Lego set and are only prevented from being loose parts by gravity. While it's true that Lego will never incorporate them in sets, this is only because they are difficult to make and go against the brick built idea of a set. (Although this is true for most AFOL-derviced techniques.)

Also:

@ Mephistopheles: the language filter on the site makes swearing a bit counterproductive as it becomes hilarious. :wink:

@ Mephistopheles: the language filter on the site makes swearing a bit counterproductive as it becomes hilarious. :wink:

I didn't swear. I actually did type megablocks. :tongue:

Oh, BB, you're pissing people off again! :devil:

Great work on all the new free builds, guys! I fully expect us to kick Challenge 4's butt this time!

Hey guys, just to make this clear: Captain BB didn't piss me off at all. I literally did type megablocks. Now I regret that I didn't add a smiley.