Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Never mind, but I always imagined Avalonia to have deciduous forest instead of coniferous forest. :classic: But thats just me so keep the pines in Glevum :wink:

The two of us are New Zealanders, so a mass of pine trees is somewhat required before the province feels like home. :laugh:

The two of us are New Zealanders, so a mass of pine trees is somewhat required before the province feels like home. :laugh:

Haha! Ok then, pine it is! :wink:

I'm actually German but yeah I live in NZ so when I think forests I generally think pine :tongue: don't worry though, It will still have plenty of non-pine trees!

Never mind, but I always imagined Avalonia to have deciduous forest instead of coniferous forest. :classic: But thats just me so keep the pines in Glevum :wink:

Don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Minnesota we have a good mix of trees. Pines and maples and oaks can all live together!

We also have conifers in Mystic Isles. The layout on whichever Island we're on is more or less conifers at the heart and then slowly increasing in deciduous the closer you get to the shore.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Minnesota we have a good nix of trees. Pines and maples and oaks can all live together!

Yeah, Maryland is the same way. Too bad its all new growth and no forest here is over a hundred years old :-/ But yeah, compared to the rest of the world (definitely in the usa) your area (including Michigan) and middle east coasts have some of the most diverse species of trees. Go to Cali, and you'll simply need to memorize five trees to identify 95% of'm.

As far as location, Lego conifers are probably the easiest to fudge. Various species can be found in wet, dry, elevated, rocky, and low lying areas. Just please no one place a river birch on a snow covered mountain. ;)

We also have conifers in Mystic Isles. The layout on whichever Island we're on is more or less conifers at the heart and then slowly increasing in deciduous the closer you get to the shore.

Yeah, Maryland is the same way. Too bad its all new growth and no forest here is over a hundred years old :-/

Same here in South Carolina. tons of pines and oaks. We do have some very old Live Oaks here in the lowcountry of South Carolina, most are protected.

This is probably the most famous

http://acornsonglen.com/2011/09/03/south-carolinas-unbelievable-angel-oak/

here is a link with people next to the trunk to give it a bit more perspective

estimates it is anywhere from 600-1400 years old

it is pretty impressive, even more so in real life!

Edited by MikeyB

Great forest discussion this became! And I kneel to you, let there be pine in Avalonia! :laugh:

My beloved LOTR sets have arrived! Lets get some horses!!! :wub:

I had always assumed we had a mix, Mitgardia was coniferous, and Nocturnus was deciduous (some scrubs in the mountains) I've lived in Wisconsin and Oregon - beautiful forests in both. I'm thinking temperate rain forest (like Oregon) along west coast of Avalonia, mix in the great forest, and more deciduous on mainland, but this can change mile to mile. Southern Wisconsin with farmland and forest interspersed seems perfect for mainland Avalonia IMO.

When I imagine Avalonia, I think it look's like all the states around Lake Michigan.

this with some of the pacific northwest coast line thrown in for good measure

@de Gothia enjoy those sets!

When I think what Avalonia would look like, I tend to think lots of valleys like Weathertop in the lord of the rings.

So...

7471533422_c5185fcef5.jpg

I was wondering If I could make that modification to Darkwood forest.

The red dot represents my little plot of land, with the mediocre Photoshop drawing being a low detail map. The grey dot represents a tower, and the brown rectangle represents a house.

Can my character join this guild?

7477768300_a7d722d016_z.jpg

My character, William Thornton, is a farmer. His farm was attacked by Bandits, and that's where he lost his eye. Most of his possessions got stolen, but he escaped with one of his pigs and a horse. Since then he's been looking for a place to stay, and remake his farm.

7508539612_4d5540f199_z.jpg

His son, Athalos Thornton. His Mother died whilst giving birth to him. He has left to become an adventurer and soldier, and has put together his own small army.

7508544430_4059ce0c00_z.jpg

After Athalos left, William needed more help on the farm, so he hired a farm hand called Tybolt. Tybolt is rather grumby and dim-witted.

Edited by Captain Settle

Most welcome William! Glad to see you joining us! Avalonia is filled with rolling countryside so you can start farming right away! :classic:

welcome William! Looking forward to see what you have in store for your builds!

400th post thanks to the Guild!

So...

7471533422_c5185fcef5.jpg

I was wondering If I could make that modification to Darkwood forest.

The red dot represents my little plot of land, with the mediocre Photoshop drawing being a low detail map. The grey dot represents a tower, and the brown rectangle represents a house.

I think that the plot is very very small. Perhaps expanding your borders a bit? Avalonia is big and we have land which has not been claimed..

I think that the plot is very very small. Perhaps expanding your borders a bit? Avalonia is big and we have land which has not been claimed..

That little settlement isn't meant to be a village, it was supposed to be a lone tower where a wizard did his study, when my character came along as his new errand boy, and proceeded to build a house near by. Those 2 buildings will be the only 2 ever put on this piece of land, but like I said on your Flickr photo, I am considering claiming a piece of land for a 'realm' of my own, but I wanted to flesh it out in my head more before I called dibs on a piece of land.

I've made a quick overview of the A.T.C. lands in their current state.

Linky

As you can see there is a lot of empty space ready to be cultivated into farmland, forests or production facilities.

The are currently only three buildings in the area; the sawmill, the dairy farm and the watchtower. A fishing and trade harbour is under construction, as well as the huge A.T.C. warehouse located within the walls of Albion.

There will be a building which produces Avalonia coins from gold bars, more defence structures (barracks, stables) and of course the large A.T.C. headquarters, also located in Albion.

Let the coins flow and the economy grow ladies and gentlemen! :sweet:

@Zach Do you have the part's to make that whole section in one moc?

Not even close, but it is my intention to build it that way. I've started planning BL orders, and I intend to get the parts for the tower and the first row of trees this week.

How could I claim some farmland?

Since we have had a few new members join us lately...

Captain Settle- you can build a farm that fits in the Avalonian theme without NEEDING to claim a plot of land. However, as part of the fun, DC (our leader) has allowed us to claim plots of land to call home and develop our own histories. Jason Cicchini, the master cartographer, probably has the best handle on what land is available. I do not know if we have a fully up to date map with all the territories or not, but Jason would know. If you are NOT worried about developing your own lands, you can certainly build your farm outside our capital city of Albion or if you like, I would allow you to build a farm in my lands of Mesodraconem. It is located just south of the Capital between the Draconem and Cerberus rivers.

Since you are new, I encourage you to check out the first post in this thread where out leader Artorious Rex issued some mini "title" challenges. One of them was to build a farm to achieve the title of "High Lord of Agriculture".

You can check out the index threadfor some inspiration from every builder or click the pics below for some farms some of us built for the minichallenge. Since the farms are a little "old" now, I would recommend you don't comment on these older threads unless you have a question on a build technique or something very useful to add.

Though I KNOW there are other good examples, here are a few farms in Avalonia for your inspiration...

sam_1974.jpg

6349719397_5c58d3561d.jpg

Duram-the-Beekeeper1-M.jpg

farmstead_1.jpg

7373505510_b94f006925.jpg

img_7301.jpg