Derfel Cadarn

Avalonia Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Congrats Z!! Glad to hear everything is fine!

I got my second son this easter! So nowdays I build when my family sleeps! ;-)

I hope to finish some more mocs before the end of june.

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

I think I am finished with my gate house. I also built some ground work on the other side of the drawbridge. I just need to work on some water now. Then hopefully pictures.

I'm impressed with how active some people can be. I just can't swing the time.

I'm trying to make a small bandit watchtower. Any tips on how to do them?

If it is bandit in nature, I would try to camouflage it either with other rock formations around the tower or maybe vegetation. Maybe a trap door by the front door?

At the moment it is made out of 1x4 dark brown tiles and headlight bricks mostly. From the front it looks fine, but from all the other views you can see the headlight bricks which makes it look horrible. I might try creative photography to make sure you only see the front, but it will be hard as it is appearing in a short story, so I will have to have lots of angles to make sure all the characters are seen. I will try and get it in for book 1, but as my computer is broken, it may run into book two.

Hmm. Mabe try addin some ruined stone walls on the sides to hide the headlights? Like part collapsed and was rebuilt with wood? It might be easier to help if you posted some wip shots.

I've got accesses to a dodgy computer, so I'll try and get some pictures up. Thanks for the idea of debris though, I might use it. It would also flesh out the MOC.

Hi Citizens,

I have decided to build my city-port on the peninsular in what i hope can now be called Fortis Fordina.

avalonia_map.jpg

fortis_fodina.png

Here is an overview of the site:

wip_7.jpg

wip_6.jpg

Here are some wip picture of the site:

wip_4.jpg

wip_5.jpg

wip_3.jpg

wip_2.jpg

Close to the gates is an ancient shrine to the tree god Firma.

wip_1.1.jpg

Apologies for the poor shots but i wanted to get some pics up before i go on holiday for a week. When i get back i hope to be able to add the gates and walls up pretty quick then on to build a temple of the sea god behind them.

Any thoughts or criticisms?

Nice rock work and tree, but is that grey thing with the flag on a building? I can't tell from the pictures. If so, I suggest that you make a roof, or turn it into a watchtower because at the moment it is quite boring. Overall though, it looks pretty cool.

Ta for looking

The flat rock bit is where iv not built up the rock as the wall be running along that section that iv "flattened off". Ill add some extra rock when the wall is built.

Hi just another quick update before i go on hols tomoz:

wip2_1.jpg

Iv stated to build the right tower, its gonna be a bit taller still buts its nearly there. Here is a closer view of the arrow slits. (and a better sense of scale)

wip2_2.jpg

Any thoughts?

Looks very nice! Will there be another tower on the other side? If so, an arch connecting them might be cool. Great work so far! :classic::thumbup:

That is he right tower of the gatehouse and yes i will be building the left and the rooms and battlements with the arch. Im building it so you can take it apart into different bits and look inside. There will also be curtain walls coming off the towers on either side. Should have enough bricks to do it, if not might have to use bricklink!

Cheers for the comments.

If I posted more than one free build all in the same story would they each be awarded points? Thanks.

I think that free-builds are scored on a topic basis. In other words, you can put multiple builds in one topic but they would get scored as one (I believe). Though you might get a higher score than if you just posted one. But if you mean doing several parts of a story with each part being a different topic, then I believe those would be scored separately.

If I posted more than one free build all in the same story would they each be awarded points? Thanks.

Since when are we doing free builds just because of the points? :wacko: Where's the fun if I have to calculate if this moc gets more points if its in its seperate thread or not? Seriously, just my two cents, but I'm here for the building, not for the math. (Even though I am still stuck with sorting and not building right now :hmpf_bad: )

I would guess that a topic with two freebuilds in it would get scored higher, or even double that of a post with only one freebuild. But who knows. I just know that I want to keep the gold system around for the next chapter because it does give some people added motivation to build. (Not me really, but it has been said before).

I hope the gold stays around as well... it's not like I wouldn't build without it, but it gives me the motivation to build Castle as opposed to... well, anything else!