Sign in to follow this  
ziljin

Stiff minifigs?

Recently bought a bunch of minifigures from an ebay seller. And the minifgures are incredibly stiff. Other than that everything is fine besides the dirty horses (some have orange stains...). I am sure I can get rid of most of the stains and the horse bardings cover them up anyway (and they are already on the horses so I wonder how the horses got dirty in the first place...).

The only time I dealt with stiff minifigure parts is from Battlepacks I think. And possibly prince of persia sets (the hands have a tighter grip than regular minfigures from my experience). The minifigs have neck printing though so they appear to be lego official minifigures and not battlepack ones. Just wondering if this is something should be concerned about? Does this happen with bricklink sellers too? I asked the seller and he only said that the pieces get dirty and scratched up from being moved around in their warehouse.

I guess they will loosen over time when I move them around?

Well what minifigs are they, but they should loosen up over time, just work at them a little and you should be fine :wink:

Minifigures aren't very playable after they stiffen...

Minifigures have neck printing now?

I've gotten this before, from other fans that didn't appreciate their minifigs as much as true AFOLs do. The finish is not as glossy and the minifigs creak whenever I more their arms or legs. But it's nothing that bad, and I find some good playing with can usually remedy it.

That confused me as well...

He probably means the colored square on the front of the neck post used in the European and Mexican plants to help machines determine which way to face the arms.

They are trolls and crown knights.

any idea on what causes them to stiffen? seller says these are new minfiigures straight out of the box, but has been sitting in storage for years (seeing as the minfiigures come from the castle theme of 2007-2009.

I've gotten this before, from other fans that didn't appreciate their minifigs as much as true AFOLs do. The finish is not as glossy and the minifigs creak whenever I more their arms or legs. But it's nothing that bad, and I find some good playing with can usually remedy it.

Well those might be collectible(chess sets/battlepacks and whatnot, you can tell by the longer set numbers like 402859 instead of 5068) minifigures since they sometimes have different printing than official lego set minifigures.

He probably means the colored square on the front of the neck post used in the European and Mexican plants to help machines determine which way to face the arms.

yes that is the neck printing I was referring to. Because some people complain that the non-standard quality collectible minifigures lack the neck printing. So neck printing implies standard quality lego minifig

Neck printing:

973pb681.jpg

No neck printing:

973pb693.jpg

I think minifig joints get stiff from underuse probably accentuated by environmental factors. Overuse tend to make the joints really loose, I would much prefer stiff to loose. At least with stiff you merely wrestle a bit to pose them, whereas with loose they won't stand up or hold a pose.

Well those might be collectible(chess sets/battlepacks and whatnot, you can tell by the longer set numbers like 402859 instead of 5068) minifigures since they sometimes have different printing than official lego set minifigures.

Actually I meant they weren't as glossy because of the way the previous owner had treated them. :sick: But they were a T-16 Skyhopper pilot, Jango Fett, and a pair of Rebel Troopers, and I got them for a good price.

Good point Artanis I. Stiff is better than loose. They were setting in a warehouse since at least 2009. Maybe longer even. Can loose minifigures stiffen over time then?

Ah I see brickdoctor. Well even if I considered these minfigs used (might as well be) they are still solid prices.

Loose figs are the worst. I still have some of the figs from my '79 383-2 Knight's Joust, and unfortunately all but a few of their arms hang loose with no capability to pose. Scary to think about this happening to the all of the other figs in the collection now, and if this might happen to them in the next thirty years...

Actually I meant they weren't as glossy because of the way the previous owner had treated them. :sick: But they were a T-16 Skyhopper pilot, Jango Fett, and a pair of Rebel Troopers, and I got them for a good price.

You lucky dawg you! How dare you get Jango. :tongue:

This sometimes happens to me if I buy off websites,best thing to do is move the leg up and down

I started buying minfigures from bricklink by the dozens. pretty good. only the occasinal mifnigure has some flaws like nicks or faded printing or loose limbs. well loose legs is fine sicne I just plan on making them stand in formation, loose arms would be a problem though.

I had no idea the reasoning for that.

I learned something I didn't know today.

I find alot of mu SW minifigs are tight until my son gets his hands on them . Im sure its from environental reason and not being played with. I agree on tight is better, my son goes crasy when they have loose arms and hands as they cant be posed or hold items. He stops playing with minifigs that are loose.

BTW I spoke to Austrlaian Lego repesentative and I asked him about Lego made in China and he said that there are no element facories in China. Facories in China are the pakaging manufacturing facilities only. All elements are made in Denmark and Mexico. So PBS quallity is not the issue.

I find alot of mu SW minifigs are tight until my son gets his hands on them . Im sure its from environental reason and not being played with. I agree on tight is better, my son goes crasy when they have loose arms and hands as they cant be posed or hold items. He stops playing with minifigs that are loose.

BTW I spoke to Austrlaian Lego repesentative and I asked him about Lego made in China and he said that there are no element facories in China. Facories in China are the pakaging manufacturing facilities only. All elements are made in Denmark and Mexico. So PBS quallity is not the issue.

So all of those "STOP USING CHINESE PLASTIC" was just misinformed hatred? Just Lego saving money on collectible minfigures and non 4 digit lego sets (as in the sets with 6 number ids)?