SearchFunction

4-seater 6-stud dablings in LDD

Hello there. I have not been into LEGO since childhood and tried LDD some time ago but found it lacking. Then recently I found out about extended mode and became absolutely obsessed with finding a way to create a 4 seater minifig scale chassis in 6 stud width.

I have no LEGO now, but I thought my dabbling might be of interest to those of you who do as the general attitude here seems to be to share ideas : )

I have been looking at many great cars and all seems to use the official car doors to create a car where the doors dosnt “float” on the outside making it a 7 stud.

This is a bit limiting in the design one can do, but it looks great for many of the 1930s cars I have seen here.

I then tried many many variations, using various parts to try and come up with something. I was able to make many decent 2 seater cars but it wasn’t until I saw Sterling Knights Cobra concept car that I decided to ditch the doors like he had done and found a solution I liked.

Most of this is inspired by that car and its techniques.

I´m going to show how to build this in small steps, but if you just want to see what I´m trying to get to, please go ahead and scroll down.

First off I shall build the chassis WITH seats. This is fine for the open 4-seater but present some problems once its to be turned into a sedan, but I will explain as we go along.

BASIC CHASSIS

step01z.jpg

step02.jpg

This can easily be used for an open 4-seater that isnt too long. Finish it any way you like.

step03.jpg

You will have to offset the front window by a half stud in order to use this design if you want the minifigs on the front seats to have their arms along the sides, but its not nessesary. This does however present some problems when creating the front. More about that later.

THE SEDAN

step04.jpg

step05.jpg

step06.jpg

Without any seats at all:

step07.jpg

Some other ideas:

step08.jpg

For asthetics it would probably be better to move the front wheel 1 stud forward as the front wheels on a car are almost always furthest away from the cabin. Also it IS possible to offset a wheel 0.5 stud closer to the cabin if you should so disire, although the construction wouldn’t be too stable. You could also just have the minifigs beeing “loose” in the car to make things easier. Its physically possible to fit 2 figs besides each other with the arms overlapping a bit in LDD in a 5 (five) stud 2-seater IF you use the official car doors, but they will either have to be loose, or you will have to use a fragile construction.

Maybe none of this is new to you. I´m also sure there are much better ways to finish the rear and front parts of the cars. Maybe you can improve upon this or maybe it gave you some ideas of your own.

What I would like to see, is some more 4-seaters so here is a template for that. I´m also sure there are people out there who can make a better roof. I´d also like to know if this actually works or if I all my armchair designing is just that.

As I wrote in the beginning, I have no LEGO here where I am so I am unable to build this. Would be too even If I had the collection I had 15 years ago as many of the parts simply aint there. I would love to see someone build a car like this and confirm that it works as intended.

LXF file attached.

6 stud 4 seater chassis.lxf

This is amazing!!! Lego need to adapt this into their sets. I've always thought that one/two person cars were a bit annoying. Great work!

Nice work! I do a lot of doodlings of this same sort of concept on LDD myself. My ambition would be to create a version that can have smooth, inconspicuous doors, preferably using official LEGO doors, but that's awfully difficult so I've never gotten very far. I was inspired to mess around with that sort of thing because my dad drives a Ford Excursion, which at 1:36 scale (the scale I tend to use for a lot of things intended for minifigures) is about 7x19, and so works best as a 6-stud vehicle with LEGO's official wheel wells.

Overall I think this sort of build works best for SUVs and other large vehicles. The proportions on your "open" models seem somewhat awkward here, but the red sedan looks very nice. Thanks for sharing these concepts, and I'll see if they inspire any ideas of my own! If I find anything, I'll gladly share it in this topic!

Tried making a car today where the rear wheel is 0.5 stud closer to the cabin and the frontwheel 1 stud further away. This gives a lot more room for details in the front. Also it struck me that the middle pillar could be used for attaching the roof, so there is no need to "anchor" it in the front..or the back for that matter. There is a slight gap in the rear that I could not eliminate so thats a compromise. Its built nearly with exactly the same cabin, only I used this part in the rear:

2926.gif?0

Not having to "anchor" the roof gives a lot more possibilities for designs as well, so thought I should share this as well : )

step09.jpg

I have used a similar method of 2x2 tiles with single stud to offset seats in my LRZ Fire Train rescue system. Although not applicable for cars; you can also fit the tile and seat combination into a standard Lego panel 3 or 4 studs high; allowing minifigs to sit opposite each other in trains.

However overall I think you have developed this concept really well; it looks like a Portfolio application!

Awesome concepts. I am liking the newer vehicles, although they can appear too big sometimes. But it is great to be able to fit more than just one person into a car!

Thank you so much SearchFunction!

All i can say is i'm so totally in-debt to your technic! I've always wanted to create a 6-studer that sits 4 comfortably and i must say i would never have thought of that technic! It totally works and rocks!

Thank you so much for sharing! A MOC is coming up in view of this technic! I'm so excited!

Thought I would let you know what I have been doing the last few days. I have done a lot of variations now, so I shall keep it short.

I rearranged the interior, so there are now frontseats again and headrests, gearshifter, a radio and the instrument panel is positioned above the steering wheel.

lddscreenshot29.th.png lddscreenshot30.th.png

I also tried to make it into a hatchback. I first tried to make it into a stationcar but I think that very distinctive rear really only belongs on a Range Rover, so I remade it yet another time and although there is less space for bagage, I think it looks better. Less like a SUV anyway.

Stationcar version

lddscreenshot24.th.png lddscreenshot25m.th.png

And the hatchback version

lddscreenshot26.th.png lddscreenshot27.th.png lddscreenshot28.th.png

At this point I wanted to try and re-make the car with the 17.6 mm wheels as I think they are just right for this scale ( 1 stud = 30 cm)

Here is the first version of that, this time made in extended mode as I wanted to try out other parts

lddscreenshot2x.th.png lddscreenshot3.th.png

And after seeing UsernameMDMs modified Smart Car (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45645)

I added windshield wipers, a fuel cap, a trailer "knob", finished the interior and made it into a hatchback. This is where I am now.

lddscreenshot4j.th.png lddscreenshot5p.th.png lddscreenshot6r.th.png lddscreenshot7v.th.png

I was thinking of adding some kind of "rail" to the roof(the red parts in the pictures) to put stuff like bicyles on, but after looking through ALL 150 pages in this forum (!) I still haven´t found a good solution yet. Any who have any ideas for this? Or is it overkill already : ) ?

This picture shows the places I have availible for placing bricks on the roof

lddscreenshot8u.th.png

I was also working on a trailer and a camper/caravan? for it to pull, but lets wait with that.

I also tried making a 2 seater, and then realized that the shortest chassis I could pull of could actually fit 3. Here is the result of that (no details yet. Rear bumper stolen from this increadible 2-seater by

)

lddscreenshot23.th.png lddscreenshot22.th.png

And finally I have been working on a police cruiser, this time, with the minifigs beeing loose in the car, whereby, they can fit inside the type of cabin I use without having their arms resting on the "doors".

lddscreenshot18.th.png lddscreenshot19.th.png lddscreenshot21.th.png

I think I made at least 10 versions of this before it was short enough to not be longer than the largest full size cars and also look acceptable.

I definately think I will try and build these cars to find out if they are stable and work as intended, before I post any LDD files, though if you rather want them NOW, just say so : ).

Right now I need suggesions for the roof on the blue/purple car. In the meantime I will learn how to use bricklink.

Edited by SearchFunction

Hello there. I have not been into LEGO since childhood and tried LDD some time ago but found it lacking. Then recently I found out about extended mode and became absolutely obsessed with finding a way to create a 4 seater minifig scale chassis in 6 stud width.

I have no LEGO now, but I thought my dabbling might be of interest to those of you who do as the general attitude here seems to be to share ideas : )

I have been looking at many great cars and all seems to use the official car doors to create a car where the doors dosnt “float” on the outside making it a 7 stud.

This is a bit limiting in the design one can do, but it looks great for many of the 1930s cars I have seen here.

I then tried many many variations, using various parts to try and come up with something. I was able to make many decent 2 seater cars but it wasn’t until I saw Sterling Knights Cobra concept car that I decided to ditch the doors like he had done and found a solution I liked.

Most of this is inspired by that car and its techniques.

I´m going to show how to build this in small steps, but if you just want to see what I´m trying to get to, please go ahead and scroll down.

First off I shall build the chassis WITH seats. This is fine for the open 4-seater but present some problems once its to be turned into a sedan, but I will explain as we go along.

BASIC CHASSIS

step01z.jpg

step02.jpg

This can easily be used for an open 4-seater that isnt too long. Finish it any way you like.

step03.jpg

You will have to offset the front window by a half stud in order to use this design if you want the minifigs on the front seats to have their arms along the sides, but its not nessesary. This does however present some problems when creating the front. More about that later.

THE SEDAN

step04.jpg

step05.jpg

step06.jpg

Without any seats at all:

step07.jpg

Some other ideas:

step08.jpg

For asthetics it would probably be better to move the front wheel 1 stud forward as the front wheels on a car are almost always furthest away from the cabin. Also it IS possible to offset a wheel 0.5 stud closer to the cabin if you should so disire, although the construction wouldn’t be too stable. You could also just have the minifigs beeing “loose” in the car to make things easier. Its physically possible to fit 2 figs besides each other with the arms overlapping a bit in LDD in a 5 (five) stud 2-seater IF you use the official car doors, but they will either have to be loose, or you will have to use a fragile construction.

Maybe none of this is new to you. I´m also sure there are much better ways to finish the rear and front parts of the cars. Maybe you can improve upon this or maybe it gave you some ideas of your own.

What I would like to see, is some more 4-seaters so here is a template for that. I´m also sure there are people out there who can make a better roof. I´d also like to know if this actually works or if I all my armchair designing is just that.

As I wrote in the beginning, I have no LEGO here where I am so I am unable to build this. Would be too even If I had the collection I had 15 years ago as many of the parts simply aint there. I would love to see someone build a car like this and confirm that it works as intended.

LXF file attached.

Hi, is there something wrong? Newbie here but i cant see your images. Really wanna see the techniques behind how four minifig can fit in a six stud wide scaled car, pleas ehelp me thank u

Hi, is there something wrong? Newbie here but i cant see your images. Really wanna see the techniques behind how four minifig can fit in a six stud wide scaled car, pleas ehelp me thank u

Since this post is a few years old the original image has probably been removed.

Since this post is a few years old the original image has probably been removed.

thank you, is there some recent link here that I can look at regarding 6 stud, 4 seater city cars?

You can find Searchfunctions builds here 4 seater police cruiser

He also has a mocpages account (http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/96166), but i believe the 4 seater is faster found on flickr, just scroll down a little...

Also, if interested, i made one a while back in a smaller scale (1/42) http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/412365

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Ron Dayes

You can find Searchfunctions builds here https://flic.kr/p/dnKuEY

He also has a mocpages account (http://www.moc-pages.../home.php/96166), but i believe the 4 seater is faster found on flickr, just scroll down a little...

Also, if interested, i made one a while back in a smaller scale (1/42) http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/412365

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

thank you! yes!