jasonsmith

10179 UCS Falcon Pricing

I'm also starting the "project" to build 10179. I am changing colors where I can, and trying to keep the costs down.

First couple of BL orders placed, now the fun begins :)

If you guys are going for accuracy, you might want to jump on the radar dish before it goes up in price any more. That piece alone might make or break some people's decision to part out this set. The lowest BL price as of this posting is $22...!

Edited by The_Chosen_1

If you guys are going for accuracy, you might want to jump on the radar dish before it goes up in price any more. That piece alone might make or break some people's decision to part out this set. The lowest BL price as of this posting is $22...!

That's one of those pieces that needs to be replaced, will have to see what I can do. That and the boat rigging aren't gonna happen

i agree, which is why i'm confused about why they stopped selling it in the first place. Also, it really really sucks for people who are in their teens right now; by the time they get money to start a collection every single good lego set has come and gone! And a lot of people around here like it like that :P

From my understanding they were selling this for a couple of years. One possible reason they would stop selling it is that at the time it was priced Lego has to lock in certain costs like material, labor, etc in order to come up with a price to sell it at. Those values are dynamic and change from year to year. Typically cost go up with respect to materials and labor, so I would think that at some point the cost to make it goes up and they would have to raise the price of the set in order to maintain the same level of profitability that they require. Marketing-wise that is not a good thing to do, so they probably have a time-frame and sell rate in mind that triggers when to stop making and selling them.

If they were to release the same set today, I wonder what the price would be as I'm sure it would not be the original 2007 price per piece ratio.

If they were to release the same set today, I wonder what the price would be as I'm sure it would not be the original 2007 price per piece ratio.

Well the SSD is $400 which is just $100 below what the Falcon sold for originally and it has like 2000 parts less and the Falcon had bigger parts overall I think so definitely not $500. It would probably be $600-$700 now which is really putting it out of the ballpark for them to sell. Only 2 sets since have come close to the $500 price of 10179 - The Death Star playset $400 and the SSD $400. Everything else that has come out before or after has been $300 and below. All U.S. pricing as I know other countries pay more already.

From my understanding they were selling this for a couple of years.

Yes, it was released in 2007, as a special set to commemorate the 30th anniversary (actually the strongest argument against rereleasing it, I think). We don't normally get to know exactly when a set goes out of actual production at the factory, but in this case LEGO sent out emails in November of 2009 saying the final production run of it was done, so it was in actual production for a bit over two years. It remained readily available at the US Shop at Home until the "May the 4th" promotion the next year (i.e., last year), when it was among the sale-priced items at 25% off (which for this set was a savings of $125, so not a trivial discount), at which point it sold out there. Individual LEGO stores in the US still had stock for at least a few weeks after that, but by around July or August it was finally gone from all of them. When I finally thought I might be able to afford it, I called every single US LEGO Store at that time and learned they'd finally all sold out. :cry_sad:

I don't know about stores or S@H outside the US, though.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I also decided to collect my MF from around the world.

I developed an application to assist me in this task.

It helps me to find reasonable combinations of sellers.

I also managed to get some of those critical parts from Lego.

(Even though the girl at Lego said that the part service is meant

to deliver only very small amounts of missing parts)

Right now I'm hoping to have my MF a bit over 500€ (including postages to Finland).

I also decided to construct a pigeonholes for all those parts.

Well, it took quite some time to figure out how to arrange holes with correct sizes.

And of course the actual building.

Actually, this may have taken even more time what it takes to build the MF itself!

But the time saving with lego projects isn't the goal anyway ;)

Now I have a well-organized place to store all those parts.

Because I've two lads, I'm pretty sure that the MF will be rebuilt several times.

Every time when it is taken into parts, pieces can be placed into those holes.

It is also very easy to set aside the project while waiting for new parts.

post-20770-132023026972.jpg

post-20770-132023027789.jpg

post-20770-132023028577.jpg

Wow, that's an impressive storage system. A bit too over the top for me, but it would definitely make the build itself go more quickly.

I'm interested in your application, do tell more.

Well the application retrieves selling information from BL web site for parts in a given inventory.

It then tries to find a good combination of sellers starting from the cheapest possible combination.

Then it takes "weakest" sellers out on by one until a reasonable solution is found.

It also takes account of postage. As result a get wanted list formatted inventories for each seller.

Right now I'm not planning to publish it, because it doesn't have any UI.

Making a good UI may take more time than the logic behind.

(And them in BL won't be too happy if there is an army of machines doing queries)

I've still got many improvement ideas in my head.

not sure if other people realized this, but the boat rigging from 4195 (Queen Anne's Revenge) is the same (supposedly) as the one from 10179.

Since I'm building 10179 now, and I've got 4195 on the way (thank you amazon sale - $83.99 with free 2 day shipping) I'll let y'all know.

Might be the same rigging from the Black Pearl too, but I haven't looked.

not sure if other people realized this, but the boat rigging from 4195 (Queen Anne's Revenge) is the same (supposedly) as the one from 10179.

Since I'm building 10179 now, and I've got 4195 on the way (thank you amazon sale - $83.99 with free 2 day shipping) I'll let y'all know.

Might be the same rigging from the Black Pearl too, but I haven't looked.

I know they are expensive or hard to get now, but they are Light Bluish gray on the real Falcon. I think that if you put black mastings on there it was stand out too much and take away from the model. With the Light Bluish Gray masting you really see the Trans Dark Blue pieces underneath. Not sure they would stand out as much with black masting.

After having missed out and shocked at the prices for this set, I'm very interested in buying the parts and building it myself. The biggest issue is probably going to be the same as it always is - sourcing parts from Japan.

Is there any other threads I should be looking at?

(Edit: not worth a new post but an edit is enough - found a guy selling 14 UCS sets - all of the vehicles - for a cool 1 million Japanese Yen. At todays rate - 9600 Euros. All are new in box except the Naboo fighter, which has been assembled and is reboxed.

A little steep for me - doesn't really seem like good value either... Still, if I was rolling in money I'd jump on it :cry_sad:

Edited by Ewok85

yeah we are going to need a few more than 6 :grin:

9,993 more to go! :classic:

I've missed out on this set since I didn't have the money at the time. :sceptic:

I just found about the recent pricing of the 10179 set yesterday (Nov. 2011) and even I consider it (and people buying it at that price) as being totally insane!

Let me explain that *... even I ...*: I'm 40+ years old. I've seen the original release of A New Hope in cinemas. Thus, I have Star Wars in my DNA.

I've built and played with LEGOs from being a toddler all through my childhood and early teens. The fascination, love and admiration for LEGO products still makes me wandering the aisles of any toy stores with a heart full of joy. I am still buying LEGO now ad then, but not too much, not too wildly.

Knowing this you also know that I was totally blown away by the UCS Millenium Falcon! I saw it in a display case in a LEGO store once (so I can at least claim *I have seen it!*) and, man, what a beauty! But still -- even though I had the money at the time -- spending EUR 500,00 on 12 kg of coloured ABS plastic felt waaaayyy too weird, not sane at all. I wrangled the temptation for a year or so and finally gave up. It was hard, but I told myself: 1.) There's no room to display it properly; 2.) There's no room to store it safely; 3.) You could do so much better things with that amount of money.

That being said I am totally freaked out by the recent collector's price development!

Okay, you might say that I'm just jealous and pxssed about having missed that opportunity in terms of having missed a rock solid investment. This even is true, but only to a certain extend: I mean, hey, gimme a break! USD 1.500,00 and more? It's still that 12 kg of coloured ABS plastic, right? What kind of a world do we live in when grown-up, spoiled westerners keep pushing their money in that kind of goods instead of something with TRUE value? Isn't that even sort of decadent?

So, basically don't understand the psyche of the later 10179 buyers at all. C'mon -- this thing isn't even vintage!!!

So instead of making any die-hard SW/LEGO fan also a new case for welfare I guess it would be better to re-release this set on a regular basis (at least with any re-edition of the classic trilogy).

MTFBWY, LEGO!

u. / Germany

well I am doing a request for a reissue on LEGO CUUSOO just need 10,000 for a consideration, about half of the EB members and we are in :grin:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/3718

I still say it won't happen, the UCS line has never reissued a set. Perhaps when the license is about to expire they might as a cash grab, but until then they will keep releasing ships that haven't got the UCS treatment.

Note that I don't own this set, wish I had it, and would buy it if rereleases. I just feel the UCS should maintain its collector line integrity and only have each ship released one time. Besides, a rerelease now would have the ship costing $700 due to inflation...you're all saving money by collecting parts anyway.

Edited by StoutFiles

I agree. And I think we're misreading the purpose of Cuusoo, which is to create new Lego models in the hopes of them becoming an official release. It's not necessarily a platform for petitioning the re-release of old sets; I'd have a few proposals of my own if that were the case.

Edited by The_Chosen_1

ya, the current price is pretty obnoxious. It's currently "selling" for more than the value of an ounce of gold. It's true, they are rare, but at the current price I seriously doubt sellers are seeing a decent amount of buyers.

I still say it won't happen, the UCS line has never reissued a set. Perhaps when the license is about to expire they might as a cash grab, but until then they will keep releasing ships that haven't got the UCS treatment.

Note that I don't own this set, wish I had it, and would buy it if rereleases. I just feel the UCS should maintain its collector line integrity and only have each ship released one time. Besides, a rerelease now would have the ship costing $700 due to inflation...you're all saving money by collecting parts anyway.

well this statement is correct, they did revise for a color change with the SD old grey/bley but that was highly unusual to begin with. and yes even popular ships (like the X-wing) have never seen any updates. I don't think it is entirely unlikely and it probably wouldn't be the exact same ship maybe it would be built different with an interior.

I would like to think that but with UCS sets it has always been one and done.

I agree. And I think we're misreading the purpose of Cuusoo, which is to create new Lego models in the hopes of them becoming an official release. It's not necessarily a platform for petitioning the re-release of old sets; I'd have a few proposals of my own if that were the case.

nope sorry from the CUUSOO FAQ

"Q.What should I do if I want a discontinued product reprinted?

"A. Discontinued LEGO® products are listed on LEGO® CUUSOO. If you would like something reprinted, then simply create a wish based on that product. If it gathers 1000 supporters, then LEGO® will consider remaking it."

"Q.What is the process to get a discountinued product reprinted?

"A. Same as a regular new Wish. Create a Wish based on the discontinued product, gather 1000 supporters, once LEGO® verfied its legal and technical feasibility, it goes into the "Reservation" stage. Once it gathers enough reservactions, LEGO® can start production and sales."

Other than 50990pb03 what other parts are rare (expensive)?

I'm looking at purchasing the parts to build this set and would like to get the rare bits purchased before the common bit.

Many thanks