Sign in to follow this  
Norro

NCLUG does POC display...

Hey! We did that! How cool!

Thanks for posting this - I have been lax on posting stuff because I am doing way too much and now building too:-)

Joe Meno

with way too many titles.

Hey! We did that! How cool!

I'm wondering who "we" is exactly? This is a very good depiction of a Kraken attacking a ship, is it inspired by the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie?

Mr. Phes, I believe 'we' would be NCLUG (North Carolina Lego Users), with which he is a member.

Captain Roger, you are right with the time cruisers. Here is the picture.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6493_1&v=z

I think this is a pretty cool setup as well, nice to see a BSB in action, it was a good choice for the display. I wonder what that pirate on the dock is thinking...

Also part of that hull was used in one of the Adventurers Amazon sets. I can't remember the name of it just at this moment and I'm too lazy to look it up!

Anyway, how many participate in this NCLUG? Their LEGO seems to be abundant and they seem quite good at building...

dscn3824.jpg

What has this skeleton got on his skull?

Good question! Some kind of tribal head wear?

God Bless,

Nathan

dscn3824.jpg

What has this skeleton got on his skull?

Good question! Some kind of tribal head wear?

God Bless,

Nathan

That's actually from this:

nospcart10.jpg

there are some scale problems though:-)

About 'we' -

We are NCLUG, as noted, and we have an active membership of about 8-10 members. We're small, but very passionate about the hobby. We have displayed in Washington, DC and in Raleigh, NC and Chapel Hill, NC.

The best thing about the group is that we all love challenges:-)

Joe

Administrator (or Benevolent Dictator), NCLUG

Editor/Publisher, BrickJournal

Event Coordinator, BrickFest 2006

I would say you are right Capn Roger, I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing this skull via anything else, at least not originally.

That skull is in some Alpha Team sets, KK sets, Orient Expedition sets, the new Batman Arkham Asylum and right here in this EB forum *skull*.

What an interesting creation!

Mr Jmenomeno, what is the origin of this image?

nospcart10.jpg

This is a preproduction sketch from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, done by Marc Davis, one of the original Disney animators who became Disney Imagineers. This is actually at the ride, and I had been wanting to build this for a LONG time - but this was hurried:-)

You can find more at www.disneylandpostcards.com

Joe

Its always interesting to see where the inspiration for ideas come from and the Brickshelf Gallery you've shared with us is full of them...

dscn3741.jpg

Is this creation inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest?

Its always interesting to see where the inspiration for ideas come from and the Brickshelf Gallery you've shared with us is full of them...

dscn3741.jpg

Is this creation inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest?

yep, the key is the key to the Dead Man's Chest. Jack Sparrow's compass is behind it.

and thanks! It was a lot of fun to build for everryone, as we went out of our comfort themes to do this...it was pretty freeing to just have fun building!

Joe

What are your "comfort" themes? Are there any hardcore Pirate LEGO fanatics amongst you?

Lemme see...

My comfort themes are micro and space. Others:

Sabrina Gravatt: Star Wars. But she's very good in micro!

John Riley: Town

Mike Walsh: Town

There aren't any pirate- exclusive builders in our club, actually. I think that's because most of us weren't in the hobby whne the Pirates theme was popular. that actually caused some initial problems, as I could count the number of Pirates I had with one hand with a couple of fingers chopped off:-)!

Joe

I esp. like the splashes (the sinking ship and cannon impact) *y*

And the seagul is a great idea. ;-) I'll have to try my hand at that. I just love the 'brick built beasts.'

MicahBerger brought me out of my most recent lego slump with his awesome beasts.

There aren't any pirate- exclusive builders in our club, actually. I think that's because most of us weren't in the hobby whne the Pirates theme was popular. that actually caused some initial problems, as I could count the number of Pirates I had with one hand with a couple of fingers chopped off:-)!

Then the members of NCLUG are you truly talented builders for a group with no dedicated pirate fanatics amongsts ya'z. After this Piratical building experience how do the members of NCLUG feel about the Pirate theme now? Have they gained a new found appreciation? Have any of the other members checked this thread (and the Pirate Forum) since it was created?

Then the members of NCLUG are you truly talented builders for a group with no dedicated pirate fanatics amongsts ya'z. After this Piratical building experience how do the members of NCLUG feel about the Pirate theme now? Have they gained a new found appreciation? Have any of the other members checked this thread (and the Pirate Forum) since it was created?

Thanks - I think that all of us got something out this - for me it was a new fresh thing to do, and while I have been a micro/space person, I could see wandering into Pirates, especially with things like sea creatures. I also enjoy ed building the compass because it's *real* size. Thtat's something that I don't do very often at all.

I don't know if any of the other members check out this forum, but hey, I can point them to it:-)

Joe

This is really amzing, the details are wonderfull.

The compas is great, it looks real.

It has again be a while since I posted or even visited, I've taken a break from Lego, but I'm back now.

Glad to see you're back - and thanks!

Joe