Gabe

D2C Contest: Temple of Amset Ra

Yes! The new Pharoah's Quest D2C exclusive that gives you more of what you want! More Anubis guards! More ancient temples! More gold and tan! And a stack of playable fun.... read on to discover...

The Temple of Amset Ra

Piece count: lots

Minifigs: 9

templeamsetra19rsd2c_110407.jpg

Introducing our heros - Jake Raines of course needs no introduction, but in this exclusive set he has a brand new sidekick - Em Starling; swashbuckling, quick-witted and the ideal candidate to help Jake storm the ancient temple and stop the revived Amset Ra from activating the alien homing beacon! All they have is a vintage motorbike and sidecar, a machine gun and their wits... can they make it in time?? *oh2*

templeamsetra5rsd2c_110407.jpg

Three-quarter view of the temple. Amset Ra, following his awakening at the Scorpian pyramid and epic battle with Jake and friends, has retreated to his temple which also houses an alien homing beacon in the form of an shimmering blue obilisk. On activation, the beacon will signal to the aliens who helped Amset Ra dominate the ancient world that the time has come again for invasion and conquest! :devil:

templeamsetra15rsd2c_110407.jpg

On to the playable features: At a command from Amset Ra, the stone gaurdians of the outer pylon (gate) arise to repel all who would dare intrude!

templeamsetra18rsd2c_110407.jpg

The outer gate and walls are hinged and can be detached in a manner simmilar to the Battle of Alamaut. The ramp to the temple sanctuary can split open as shown, providing our heros with a route to the alien generator, housed underneath the temple.

templeamsetra9rsd2c_110407.jpg

A close up of the alien generator that powers the beacon. This is on the ground floor at the back of the temple sanctuary.

templeamsetra11rsd2c_110407.jpg

The roof of the temple sanctuary can be lifted off to show the richly decorated sanctuary interior.

I hope you have enjoyed my entry! I had a hard time whittling my pics down to only six... there are more pics at my flickr if yr interested in checking them out. :classic:

Edited by gabe

Awesome job on this temple Gabe!

The build in general is sweet (tan... :cry_happy:), those statues you put in the front seem to be able to move (!) and I love the way you added the alien touch in the story (gives us great ideas for a Pharaoh's Quest/Alien Conquest crossover!!!)

There are so many good creations in this contest, it'll be hard to choose who I'll vote for.

Awesome entry Gabe!

I was waiting for one of these and you did it so well. Love the whole feel of the buid, you crammed in the details without going over the top .

Knowing your collection size I know how hard it can be to do something this big with out compromising colour/shape well done againdefault_thumbup.gif

looks like a few of your deeplinks are not deeplinked.

Good luck mate.

(ps those figs should arrive at yours this week )

Fantastic entry gabe! Now this is something that I could see as a potential PQ set with the overall pleasing and inviting set-up: highly-playable features, good minifig selection, a 'hero vehicle', and a realistic piece count (I assume on the size range of the historic castles). Impressive work and best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Good stuff. I like your large statues at the front in particular. That trans-blue obelisk is a nice touch too.

Thankyou! I was fooling around with a way to make the obelisk "rise" out of the temple itself, but it would have left no room for an interior. :hmpf_bad: So the interior decorator side of me won out again! :grin:

Awesome job on this temple Gabe!

The build in general is sweet (tan... :cry_happy:), those statues you put in the front seem to be able to move (!) and I love the way you added the alien touch in the story (gives us great ideas for a Pharaoh's Quest/Alien Conquest crossover!!!)

There are so many good creations in this contest, it'll be hard to choose who I'll vote for.

Thanks mate! The statues do indeed move, as you can see now that i've fixed my links. :blush: I'm glad you noticed the Alien Conquest crossover, i was hoping someone would!

Awesome entry Gabe!

I was waiting for one of these and you did it so well. Love the whole feel of the buid, you crammed in the details without going over the top .

Knowing your collection size I know how hard it can be to do something this big with out compromising colour/shape well done againdefault_thumbup.gif

Thanks! Yeah, i think i've come to a tipping point with my collection - i seem to be getting less and less frustrated by the "whyyy don't i have x number of peices of y element in z colour?? :cry_sad: " syndrome - mind you, this works only if i'm building one large MOC at a time. My next MOC might test this theory too.

looks like a few of your deeplinks are not deeplinked.

Good luck mate.

Ooh, thanks, fixed. That'll teach me to post late at night. :wacko: Best of luck to you as well.

(ps those figs should arrive at yours this week )

Yay, thanks so much! :grin: I've been hanging out for those little guys!

Fantastic entry gabe! Now this is something that I could see as a potential PQ set with the overall pleasing and inviting set-up: highly-playable features, good minifig selection, a 'hero vehicle', and a realistic piece count (I assume on the size range of the historic castles). Impressive work and best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Thankyou very much for yr kind words! :blush: I really have no idea as to piece count, maybe around 1500-2000?? That's a pretty wild guess, btw. I built a little oasis as an adventurers base to go with it as well, but when i put it together it looked... too much, and a little fragmented too. :sceptic: I might have to post that as a seperate plain old MOC.

Edited by gabe

So much good playability. Some of the best things that come from Lego's designers are the sets' clever features.

I think you also made it look very, very official, and did well to replicate the theme. Great job!!

This is absolutely stunning, Gabe! The architecture is wonderful, and the play features are great. The storyline is also very good; an Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull meets Pharaoh's Quest?

There's nothing I don't like about this. Good luck in the contest, and well done!

Very cool concept and implementation and the trans-blue obelisk has a nice touch of sci-fi to its design.

Oh wow, - that is absolutely amazing! Everything has so much detail. Thankyou so much for sharing.

Thankyou and yr welcome! :wink: I'm glad you enjoyed looking at it.

So much good playability. Some of the best things that come from Lego's designers are the sets' clever features.

I think you also made it look very, very official, and did well to replicate the theme. Great job!!

Thanks! I feel i still have a lot to learn about implementing moveable functions in my models, so yr comment means a lot. :classic:

The storyline is also very good; an Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull meets Pharaoh's Quest?

There's nothing I don't like about this. Good luck in the contest, and well done!

Thankyou very much! Haha, i don't know much about the Indiana Jones films - i was probably thinking more along the lines of Serious Sam tbh! :grin:

Very cool concept and implementation and the trans-blue obelisk has a nice touch of sci-fi to its design.

Thankyou for yr kind comment. I'm glad you like it. :classic:

Great entry, gabe! The architecture of the temple is truly incredible, and the dark red motorbike is :wub:. I also really like the "alien" motif you have going for it, it really fits in well with PQ for some reason! :thumbup:

Edited by Captain Tamamono

Great entry, gabe! The architecture of the temple is truly incredible, and the dark red motorbike is :wub:. I also really like the "alien" motif you have going for it, it really fits in well with PQ for some reason! :thumbup:

Thanks Captain Tamamono! Glad you like it. There's such a rich vein of "Aliens built the pyramids" guff in popular culture that it seemed a shame not to tap into it. :laugh:

I have to say this is one of the best contenders I've seen in this contest. It's large, sufficiently detailed for a D2C set, and sufficiently action-packed to fit into an action theme. Stylistically, it fits the Pharaoh's Quest theme, but it's also a fresh and unique concept rather than just repeating a concept already appearing in a regular set. Great work!

Nicely done. I think this build, more than the other entries I've seen, seems like a set Lego would actually make. I'm not even buying the Pharaoh's Quest stuff but if this were a real set I would consider buying it.

very nice entry Dude !

I've seen it on flickr and it looks like an official !

well done and good luck !

Thanks lego-maniac! :classic: Glad you like it!

I have to say this is one of the best contenders I've seen in this contest. It's large, sufficiently detailed for a D2C set, and sufficiently action-packed to fit into an action theme. Stylistically, it fits the Pharaoh's Quest theme, but it's also a fresh and unique concept rather than just repeating a concept already appearing in a regular set. Great work!

Aw shucks, thanks Aanchir, i really appreciate yr kind comment. :blush:

Nicely done. I think this build, more than the other entries I've seen, seems like a set Lego would actually make. I'm not even buying the Pharaoh's Quest stuff but if this were a real set I would consider buying it.

Thanks mate, that's high praise indeed! But seriously, the PQ sets are amazing, some of the best i've bought for parts and minifigs imho. I can't recommend them highly enough. :thumbup:

This is awesome, and it has great detail. Fabulous entry! (If TLG ever made this into a offical set, I would buy it!) :wub:

This is awesome, and it has great detail. Fabulous entry! (If TLG ever made this into a offical set, I would buy it!) :wub:

Thanks Mr Malfoy! :classic: