DJ Force

ExoForce gone for good :(

I played Mech Warrior 4 religiously as a kid, but this theme just didn't do it for me. The anime vibes and skeletal models are huge turn offs. When I think Mechs, I think of hulking metal war machines designed to soak up artillery and dish out a battalion's worth of ammunition, kind of like this:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgfkoUIerKgfENfzixSLp9U1yJiWkj_BM85eYrvOCD2ZhFFDogvA&t=1

That looks much more like a walking tank to me than anything in Exo-Force. And the death of Exo-Force more or less nixes the possibility of a more Mech Warrior-like theme later on, so the whole thing is kind of a disappointment to me. As much as I hate to say it, I think Mega Blocks nailed the aesthetic much better than LEGO did, with the Warrior Future Force line awhile back. Yes, I know, don't stone me- I'm not saying I'd buy that line before Exo Force, I'm just talking aesthetics.

Megabloks mechs were all right but they are Aeons behind Life in Mars's mechs, for example. Then we have some mechs that appeared later like in Agents and Power miners which are much better than both Exo-force and that megabloks stuff. And the skeletal design are there because of the need to appeal to kids whilst maintaining price. Megabloks has it easy when making bulky things while keeping low piece counts- they just make giant molds for the legs and the cockpit.

Exo-force didn't really die in a way that would mean it will never happen again. They had three waves, that's very decent. It is unlikely to think TLG won't make a mech theme ever again. I do hope they don't ditch to anime-ish designs for the mechs and just ditch the anime stuff when making minifigs. I like Anime-style mechas specially when done right, they could allow the bad guys have more occidentalized mechs or vice versa. Variety is best.

Edited by vexorian

As I sit here, I have several Exo-Force mechs perched above my PC, and the Exo-force twin bladed chopper thingy (name???) sitting on the bass speaker. I'm not hardcore, but certainly enjoyed the series, but didn't get religously into it. The kids use them as the badguys when battling against the Star Wars Lego :)

So, a little sad it's gone, but agreed, some hardcore Mechs would be great, but they'd be big and $$$ ...

Megabloks mechs were all right but they are Aeons behind Life in Mars's mechs, for example. Then we have some mechs that appeared later like in Agents and Power miners which are much better than both Exo-force and that megabloks stuff. And the skeletal design are there because of the need to appeal to kids whilst maintaining price. Megabloks has it easy when making bulky things while keeping low piece counts- they just make giant molds for the legs and the cockpit.

Exo-force didn't really die in a way that would mean it will never happen again. They had three waves, that's very decent. It is unlikely to think TLG won't make a mech theme ever again. I do hope they don't ditch to anime-ish designs for the mechs and just ditch the anime stuff when making minifigs. I like Anime-style mechas specially when done right, they could allow the bad guys have more occidentalized mechs or vice versa. Variety is best.

I forgot about the mechs in Life on Mars - they were actually quite nice, as I remember. The more recent ones didn't impress me too much, though, since they're still a pretty far cry from anything in Mech Warrior, but point well taken. And yes, Megabloks is obviously a relatively poor manufacturer. Despite my aesthetic qualms I'd still much rather buy Exo-Force than anything Megabloks has come up with.

I really don't see the appeal of Anime-style mechas, though. A personal preference, sure, but I feel like you can get the same "cool" factor from Bionicle. After all they were basically human-sized mechas with a needlessly complicated backstory. I just enjoy the concept of a walking tank, after all that's what made Mech Warrior so much fun back in the day. I'd love to see a LEGO iteration of that.

Edited by Algernon

I forgot about the mechs in Life on Mars - they were actually quite nice, as I remember. The more recent ones didn't impress me too much, though, since they're still a pretty far cry from anything in Mech Warrior, but point well taken. And yes, Megabloks is obviously a relatively poor manufacturer. Despite my aesthetic qualms I'd still much rather buy Exo-Force than anything Megabloks has come up with.

I really don't see the appeal of Anime-style mechas, though. A personal preference, sure, but I feel like you can get the same "cool" factor from Bionicle. After all they were basically human-sized mechas with a needlessly complicated backstory. I just enjoy the concept of a walking tank, after all that's what made Mech Warrior so much fun back in the day. I'd love to see a LEGO iteration of that.

The Bridge Walker set was kind of like you're suggesting. It has the right bulk and posture, anyway. It's a bit more skeletal in the upper leg/hip area, though, and the head/cockpit is distorted in an odd UFO-like way that leaves the pilot robot unprotected.

I myself liked the humanoid mecha in this theme, but then I wasn't much of a mecha fan of any sort before this theme. So really in this case it was the innovative LEGO designs and story, not the particular style of machinery, that drew me in.

I've been out of the hobby of collecting lego for 10 years. I've collected stuff like Hasbros Star Wars line, Masters of the universe and so on. Until in last December my girlfriend spotted a big bux of lego bricks in my basement. She asked me if we could build something with it, and so we did. This event has brought me back into the hobby. After building some old Space Police I and Blacktron sets (that was my favorite line), I've started to watch out in Ebay for new sets. After a short phase of Space Police and Blacktron, I've focused on Exoforce and I'm still collecting.

I think Exoforce was one of the best lines Lego ever did. It was fresh, very futuristic, had a cool story and some of the mechas really look outstanding. So Exoforce was a new exploration for me and I'm still far from a completed line. I have a lot of fun collecting it and building my own Exoforce models.

It was I who told my buddy DJ Force, that the Exoforce Section of the Lego website is down. I was very disapointed when I've found out. There were some building instructions for alternative Exoforce models on this site, which are all gone now. I think thats the major problem. It took me a few hours until I had finally found a lego fan who had saved all the pics of the website. I felt really relieved when I had recovered this alternative model instructions.

Yeah, but what is also gone are the building instructions for alternate and combo models, the character bios, the comics and the games. Even if I saved all the instructions and bios, there is simply no way (at least that I know of) to have saved the games and comics onto my HD.

I've still got some in my BS folder.

Plus that time machine links is pretty awesome.

I have the feeling that the time machine does not really store images locally, or at least not all. In other words, if we are able to see the instructions, it is because they are still hosted at LEGO.com. TLG just closed the gate, not the windows...

I like Anime-style mechas because of the knightist style, it may be related to them being my main source of exposition to mechas when young.

The exo-force good guys however have been a hit or miss for me. For example, I love the sky guardian, but the blade titan, not so much. Or comparing the Aoero Booster and the stealth hunter, I think they were the best rendition to Anime-style tech. The evil guys on the other hand, are less into anime, and they have been more consistently liked by me. I think the bridge walker is very close to what you mentioned.

I just think that in the future mecha theme (there will be one eventually, there is really no reason to think TLG won't do it and I think it is going to be sooner than later). They could mix styles a little, I like gundams, but some variety and having walking tanks would be nice. For example, I think this baby:

7706-1.jpg

Would have been so much better with a pair of bulky, orange legs.

Edited by vexorian

i have not bought and collected lego in 12 years. after seeing some moc online i found that lego created a anime inspired mech line and exoforce brought me back to lego. i bought these (7709, 8104 and 7700) on ebay for bargin price. i have not put these together as i bought the home one (star wars, 7754) and the titan xp (4608). both excellent and have taken pictures of them on put them on my flickr. i may modify them as their are things which i dont like. espcially titan xp in which i like arms and legs but hate the rest of it as i think it should have minifig pilot :classic:

i like most of set and i see myself building them only modify them later on as one thing i dont like about the exoforce are the cockpits which for me seem too fragile and i would like to modify them to be proper enclosed cockpits. i think this is what i like the most out of lego is it creative side as you build it and then create moc out these parts.

Edited by bdbamford