Sign in to follow this  
Legostein

MINI Chu'Unthor

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello everybody!

Today, it's time again for a ship from the Expanded Universe. To introduce you to the topic, I will tell you in short the background of the ship and its history. :classic:

--------------------

The Chu'Unthor (reference image) was a massive 2,000 meter long flat starship design by the Old Republic Fleet Systems. It was constructed about 500 years before the events of Yavin under the tutelage of Jedi Masters to serve as a praxeum ship for students of the Force, a flying Jedi Academy. It had space for over 10,000 Jedi apprentices.

Unfortunately the ship's history was rather short as it crash-landed only 270 years later on the planet Dathomir, home of the so-called Nightsisters (witches who were able to use the Dark Side of the Force). Two of the most famous nightsisters were by the way Asajj Ventress (Episode 1, Clone Wars) and Charal (Ewoks: The Battle for Endor). Yoda was able to achieve release of the Jedi aboard the ship, however, the ship itself was left back until another Jedi would arrive, which was Luke Skywalker 8 years after Yavin.

--------------------

Okay, that's the story, and now we want to look at the model. :classic: It's a flat and wide ship which is not fully symmetrical. To build the asymmetrically attached "arms" and the busy front section, it was necessary to use half-stud-widths. But to attach something into the bottom tubes you somehow must overcome the frame on plate's underside. Fortunately old hinge plates have a tiled section between the two ends which worked out pretty well (plates with stud notches would not have worked as these are offset one alf plate next to the bottom hole where the hinge is attached).

Another highlight is the engine section. Engines are characteristic for each starship type. The Chu'Unthor has five main thrusters, but the construction only left four studs in width. The last image shows how it is possible to attach five engines at a length of four studs. :classic:

chu-unthor-1.jpg

chu-unthor-2.jpg

chu-unthor-3.jpg

chu-unthor-6.jpg

chu-unthor-7.jpg

With that our little trip into the Expanded Universe ends for today. :classic:

Thanks for your interest, and see you soon!

Yours Christopher.

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

I like it, its always good to see EU elements made int Lego. The Chu'Unthor is a really weird ship but you captured it perfectly Legostein just like all your minis. Well Done :thumbup::thumbup:.

I love exploring the EU!

Boy, the source material is strange... and frankly, rather ugly. :sceptic: But, you've done an amicable job adapting it to microscale. Quite clever and nice techniques!

Heya!

Thanks, both of you. :classic:

Boy, the source material is strange... and frankly, rather ugly. :sceptic:

Yes, it's true! :grin: The design is not among the Galaxy's most pretty ones. :wink: But the ship has an interesting story, so it was worth the build! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

I remember this too, even though I've never seen one in brick before.

Great job, Legostein. At first glance it looks like a stack of plates, but if you look closer it's got some nice techniques inside.

Again you amaze us 'Legostein' - AWESOME mini and I really like the clever trick for 5 thrusters there ! :grin:

May the brick be with you 'Legostein' ! :grin:

I don't really know the original model, but you're MINI looks very detailed as usual! I'm sometimes wondering why TLG doesn't take inspiration from you for their MINIs as they are usual not very good or true to the original.

Also is there by any chance going to be an updated version of the AT-AT? It's my favourite Star Wars vehicle and all of the official MINIs have been rather disappointing while you version is rather old. :blush:

Thanks for sharing!

Man, that's one weird-looking EU ship! But as bad as the source material is, you still did a great job approximating it in mini-scale build Legostein. :thumbup:

Boy, the source material is strange... and frankly, rather ugly. :sceptic:

Hey, compared to the Yuuzhan Vong Coralskipper this thing is a beaut. In any case, legostein's model is fantastic as always! (The Courtship of Princess Leia was pretty good, too - probably one of the first Expanded Universe books I ever read along with the Jedi Academy Trilogy.)

I've just realised something, the 1st engine on the right looks slightly higher than the others, also the side arms, wings whatever they are look a bit to close to the body on your model. It still looks good though.