Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

However, if the line is successful, whos to say that they dont release a larger update in a later wave. Harry Potter virtually got a new version of hogwarts with every wave!

Let's not forget Star Wars and the Millenium Falcon. Even after they released the best possible set, they go and throw a curveball our way in the form of a midiscale. I can definitely see them releasing a better version if this line takes off... And I think it will. I seem to recall Srar Wars Sets being sold inside the Star Tours shop and the World of Disney even though there's a Lego store right down the path.

I can definitely see PotC sets being sold inside the New Orleans Square pirated shop.

it can't really put out a 400 pound plus set.

I think the ship weight on my Millennium Falcon was 43 pounds ;-)

I have a feeling that the Pearl will show up in the fourth film, though maybe not in the way we expect. I mean, why would Jack Sparrow sneak onto Blackbeard's ship to steal a ship in a bottle unless it was HIS ship in that bottle?

I love it! This is probably the most plausible explanation. Now that you say it, I also suppose it's possible the ship in a bottle holds a spell of some kind that releases the QAR from a curse and allows it to become the Pearl again. This would sort of explain why the Pearl isn't in the movie AFAIK.

Let's not forget Star Wars and the Millenium Falcon. Even after they released the best possible set, they go and throw a curveball our way in the form of a midiscale. I can definitely see them releasing a better version if this line takes off... And I think it will. I seem to recall Srar Wars Sets being sold inside the Star Tours shop and the World of Disney even though there's a Lego store right down the path.

I can definitely see PotC sets being sold inside the New Orleans Square pirated shop.

I think the ship weight on my Millennium Falcon was 43 pounds ;-)

I love it! This is probably the most plausible explanation. Now that you say it, I also suppose it's possible the ship in a bottle holds a spell of some kind that releases the QAR from a curse and allows it to become the Pearl again. This would sort of explain why the Pearl isn't in the movie AFAIK.

Yes, but remember that the third film ended with Barbossa sailing off with the Pearl. In the new film he is a Privateer with the Brits, so maybe the Pearl is just docked in England somewhere. Maybe the producers wanted something new and decided they didnt need it in the film. As ships go, the BP is a bit boring compared to the Dutchmen etc. I'd rather see lots of cool new ships then the same old Pearl. And it isn't even Jack's ship, if you look into the backstory you will find that it was granted to Jack by Beckett, for some job Beckett wanted him to do. Jack betrayed him of course, and thats why Beckett says they have each left a mark on one another.

Something like that anyway. :pir-classic:

Yes, but remember that the third film ended with Barbossa sailing off with the Pearl. In the new film he is a Privateer with the Brits, so maybe the Pearl is just docked in England somewhere. Maybe the producers wanted something new and decided they didnt need it in the film. As ships go, the BP is a bit boring compared to the Dutchmen etc. I'd rather see lots of cool new ships then the same old Pearl. And it isn't even Jack's ship, if you look into the backstory you will find that it was granted to Jack by Beckett, for some job Beckett wanted him to do. Jack betrayed him of course, and thats why Beckett says they have each left a mark on one another.

Something like that anyway. :pir-classic:

The Black Pearl was originally called the Wicked Wench (which, btw is the name of the pirate ship on the ride) that Jack was given to sail by the EITC. It was sunk by Beckett and Jack branded a pirate because he released his "cargo" of slaves. That's when Jack made his deal with Davy Jones to get the ship back. I mean, if a man is willing to sell his soul for a ship, what isn't he willing to do? I don't think that the writers would leave a big plot hole like "the Pearl is just gone" especially when getting it back has been one of the major motivations for Jack's character. The only time he's willing to let it go is when he has to choose between it's destruction and being eaten by the Kraken.

The Black Pearl was originally called the Wicked Wench (which, btw is the name of the pirate ship on the ride) that Jack was given to sail by the EITC. It was sunk by Beckett and Jack branded a pirate because he released his "cargo" of slaves. That's when Jack made his deal with Davy Jones to get the ship back. I mean, if a man is willing to sell his soul for a ship, what isn't he willing to do? I don't think that the writers would leave a big plot hole like "the Pearl is just gone" especially when getting it back has been one of the major motivations for Jack's character. The only time he's willing to let it go is when he has to choose between it's destruction and being eaten by the Kraken.

The Black Pearl had its story in the first film. They can't keep bringing up the same old story of a pirate who wants to get his ship back. And considering the mess that was the 'plot'of the 3rd film, I wouldn't put anything past the writers.

The Black Pearl had its story in the first film. They can't keep bringing up the same old story of a pirate who wants to get his ship back. And considering the mess that was the 'plot'of the 3rd film, I wouldn't put anything past the writers.

But in the bigger scheme of things Pirates of the Caribbean as it currently exists is a theme park ride with animatronic pirates that has been remodeled to follow a movie that is in turn based on the ride, so PotC is one big circle. There really isn't anywhere else for the PotC universe to go and while the Pearl got it's own story in the last 3 movies I wouldn't put it past the writers to give it a cameo in OST. The Black Pearl is more Pirates than Jack Sparrow.

Well I think they will make firstly a small Black Pearl, because we must remember lots of kids wallets would take a long time to save over £100 on one!

Then as we are a year or so into the theme we will see a UCS Black Pearl, over £120 odd and just a bit smaller than IFS. Maybe with 6 cannon ports on each side like the QAR, like Harry Potter's Diagon Alley.

:jollyroger:

It looks like at least some of those gun ports on the QAR are dummies...we'll see.

I kind of wish they'd, y'know, put that backstory in the movies somewhere. :p It's possible that Jack's quest for immortality has overshadowed the whole Black Pearl thing, which I suppose makes sense. Although, the Captain's Cabin set description mentions that Jack is looking for a ship in a bottle...perhaps Blackbeard has used his magic to shrink the Pearl and put it in a bottle? It would explain how Jack comes to be on the QAR, and why the Pearl isn't in the movie...

TC

I don't think they should've put skeleton parts on the ship. It looks fine on the actual boat since, they are very small compared to the ship, but this one is smaller than minifig scale, so the skeleton parts look too big. That 1097 piece count looks nice though :pir-tongue:

Also, pure speculation, but I'll go ahead and guess the prices (USD/CAD)

QAR (119.99/149.99)

Whitecap Bay (79.99/109.99)

The Mill (39.99/49.99)

London Escape (49.99/54.99 or 64.99)

Captain's Cabin (10.99/14.99)

Cannibal Escape (29.99/39.99)

Isla De Muerta (I'm not sure about this. Maybe $19.99 USD?)

Fountain of Youth (19.99/24.99)

Edited by prateek

I don't know why some of you say the Pearl is boring ,as a Ghost Ship it was pretty cool coming out of the fog firing cannons on Port Royal, and the Ghost Ships the one were getting. P.S. I hope they print Minifigs with bones, torn clothes and hair , more like the Jack minifig in Isla De Muerta.

Well I think they will make firstly a small Black Pearl, because we must remember lots of kids wallets would take a long time to save over £100 on one!

Then as we are a year or so into the theme we will see a UCS Black Pearl, over £120 odd and just a bit smaller than IFS. Maybe with 6 cannon ports on each side like the QAR, like Harry Potter's Diagon Alley.

:jollyroger:

Based on the pictures showed now, LEGO would actually offer only "4" cannons for QAR set.

The 1st and final cannon positions on both sides would have no cannon.

Take a close look on these position, it's not easy to leave 2 cannons on single side for 1st and final position.

Even all the pictures showed before, I can't find any cannon "actually" settled on these position and appearing on the pictures.

So...a little bit like 6285 set, the 1st and final cannon position would have nothing inside;

LEGO highly likely only offers "4" cannons for QAR set.

Edited by Viking

It looks like at least some of those gun ports on the QAR are dummies...we'll see.

I kind of wish they'd, y'know, put that backstory in the movies somewhere. :p It's possible that Jack's quest for immortality has overshadowed the whole Black Pearl thing, which I suppose makes sense. Although, the Captain's Cabin set description mentions that Jack is looking for a ship in a bottle...perhaps Blackbeard has used his magic to shrink the Pearl and put it in a bottle? It would explain how Jack comes to be on the QAR, and why the Pearl isn't in the movie...

TC

I found it on the Pirates wiki (here)...that whole story is going to be published in a book in May, before the new movie comes out.

I think QAR has 6 cannons, three on each side, like what people did with BB, put on cannon on each side.

So the buyers can decide whether or not they want all cannons on one side or three on each.

I think QAR has 6 cannons, three on each side, like what people did with BB, put on cannon on each side.

So the buyers can decide whether or not they want all cannons on one side or three on each.

I'm slightly skeptical of that...if you look at the first and last gunports on each side, they don't look as if there is a place to put a cannon behind them. I'm betting that of the six gunports on each side, only four actually have space for a cannon. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were only three cannon in the set.

I'm not trying to diss the QAR--this is the best Pirate ship we've seen since the SES--but our expectations should be realistic...

TC

Some fresh news from Singapore! Our Trade Catalog has been updated with local prices. This may help you estimate the price in your country.

4191 The Captain's Cabin - S$29.90

4192 Aqua de Vida - S$59.90

4193 The London Escape - S$139.90

4181 Isla De la Muerta - S$50.90

4182 The Cannibal Escape - S$79.90

4183 The Mill - S$109.90

4194 Whitecap Bay - S$179.90

4195 Queen Anne's Revenge - S$249.90

4184 Black Pearl - S$189.90

According to this post made by Clouette they got more price information about the BP in Singapore, and according to him (or her of course ;) ), the BP will cost only a little more than the Whitecap Bay set... So, if this info is correct (and we will probably hear that much later on) the BP set that will be released in the end of 2011 will be quite a lot smaller than the QAR. So who knows, we might be getting a UCS BP late 2012 or something. But, personally I have my questions about there being another UCS ship soon (as in the next 2 years). They did the Imperial Flagship in Januari 2010.

It would be much cooler if they would actually try to make a large and extended version of one of the scenes with about 2-4k pieces IMO :pir-wub:

Time will tell :pir-hmpf:

Edited by Dream Team

I don't think they should've put skeleton parts on the ship. It looks fine on the actual boat since, they are very small compared to the ship, but this one is smaller than minifig scale, so the skeleton parts look too big. That 1097 piece count looks nice though :pir-tongue:

Also, pure speculation, but I'll go ahead and guess the prices (USD/CAD)

QAR (119.99/149.99)

Whitecap Bay (79.99/109.99)

The Mill (39.99/49.99)

London Escape (49.99/54.99 or 64.99)

Captain's Cabin (10.99/14.99)

Cannibal Escape (29.99/39.99)

Isla De Muerta (I'm not sure about this. Maybe $19.99 USD?)

Fountain of Youth (19.99/24.99)

Same predictions as I do for the Canadian price. Makes it even more tempting for me to preorder from BN right now. The Mill is the set that's more favored for me at the moment (well of course QAR is much bigger and nicer but that's way above how much I can pay right now); with the 10% off the USD price is making me consider it a lot but money's tight at the moment :pir-hmpf: (I've been wanting to save up for Diagon Alley from HP and also Grand Emporium). London Escape I want mostly because I get a good number of minifigures in that set despite it seeming "sparse".

Edited by Canada_7

I think that's more likely, a system-scale Black Pearl would probably be something a lot of kids will want for Christmas. As lovely as a giant IFS type model would be, I'm not convinced we'll see one just yet. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, of course!

So we didn't get the 17th-century-style wigs after all?

Bummer... :hmpf_bad:

Hopefully we'll see them in future waves of the theme.

I agree, we would really love some of those. Sothe future sets should contain Governer Swann and Commandor Norrington with wigs :pir-cry_happy:

This is very interesting. I guess everyone better start stocking up on your classic pirate collections!

Interesting to see if the Imperial Armada comes back to Legos. I always liked them but they were in and out before my Lego phase. I always liked how they were a blend of knights/Imperial Guards, with rifles and body armor.

Thank you very much for this information and for these pics! :pir-classic:

Since I dislike the movies, I even don't like these Lego sets (which has nothing to do with that they for sure are built very well).

Imo TLG should have gone further with the excelllent Pirates theme of 2009 or release a new one - but no license. :thumbdown:

There are only three elements which I like:

-the ship in the bottle :pir-wub: (Do you think that it'll be a sticker or printed?)

-the holder for a sable :thumbup:

-the globe

Otherwise :pir-sick: .

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter