deejay

Electric Switch Tracks Set

What type of motor are you using Deejay? A micromotor you say, but do you maybe have a factory number or a datasheet?

Very clever ID... I'd prefer a servo since with a DC motor you more or less mistreat the motor when letting it just run right or left.

Oh finally Deejay,

thanks for sharing! :classic:

I use the same switches for my signals on blind tracks

[Nice music in your videos! :tongue:

Thanks, the music it´s selfmade. :)

Your Switches are also Great. It looks like, that your Train is very big. :)

Here are Pictures from the finished Actuator.

post-16002-129819858974.jpg

post-16002-129819921408.jpg

Edited by deejay

That is very impressive. I wonder why the LEGO company does not make these and sell themselves, given the enthusiasm and fan base of this sort of thing? I am not very mechanically/electrically inclined. So, this looks great but a bit beyond my out-of-box-snap-together-and-play skill level.

Should i make the Connectors for the original Lego Connectors? What are you think about?!?!? :)

Should i make the Connectors for the original Lego Connectors? What are you thinking about?!?!? :)

It's just all suggestions, but something easily extended would be nice. Easily, without soldering. And some may have some 12v or 9v cables laying around (I don't really).

For an example: May layout is spread widely, and some switches belonging to the same station are up to 2 meters apart, and up to 15 switches to account for.

Today i tried a new Connectortype on the Trackswitches. For the Lego Standard Connector. Look at the Picture. :)

post-16002-129839781935.jpg

Today i tried a new Connectortype on the Trackswitches. For the Lego Standard Connector. Look at the Picture. :)

That's really nice. There are also plugs in the model train world of the same size, so non purists would be able to save some money, but purist could use the 12V leads.

EDIT: TLC asked deejay not to sell his creation, or better, they insisted in doing so. Deejay then asked me to remove the details here.

But let's wait and see what deejay is going to say.

Question: any idea as to WHY TLC insisted that deejay wouldn't sell his creation anymore ?

I'd really like to hope it is because they are prepping to release their own electric switch points, but I've read nothing anywhere that points in that direction ...

Anyone dare to speculate or maybe deejay himself got a good explanation from TLC ?

it's time lego make their electric switch... how long since the 12v era ones? I still have them and they still work perfectly, but how can lego expect us to switch a rail which is let's say 1 or 2 meters far away from us playing with our rc or 9v train? do we have to run to every place of the layout?

come on lego: surprise us!

mrBlue

Anyone dare to speculate or maybe deejay himself got a good explanation from TLC ?

My guess is since he has modified LEGO bricks, it would be possible for these to be confused with an official LEGO product. LEGO would be within their rights to demand he not sell anything with their logo on it. I would imagine LEGO would also want to avoid any association with a third party electrical product.

My guess is since he has modified LEGO bricks, it would be possible for these to be confused with an official LEGO product. LEGO would be within their rights to demand he not sell anything with their logo on it. I would imagine LEGO would also want to avoid any association with a third party electrical product.

Hi Peterab,

Makes absolutely sense to me, particularly the association with a third party electrical product.

Regards,

Thorsten

Hi,

yes Petertab....that´s right. :)

But when someone is interested....we find a way.

Call me

I'm relatively new to Lego so forgive me if this sounds naive, but is it common practice for TLG to reach out to entrepreneurs like deejay who have prototyped their own extensions of the line and issue cease and desist orders? What are the boundaries here? Are there any formal rules for what to do if you're thinking of starting your own cottage industry extending the Lego line? I understand that deejay modded bricks, so that may have been the reason he was asked to halt sales of his really excellent looking product, but what would TLG have said (or could they have the right to say anything) if his design hadn't modded any bricks?

Just asking if anyone else has faced this kind of response from TLG in the face of some really revolutionary entrepreneurial idea.

--Rob

I'm relatively new to Lego so forgive me if this sounds naive, but is it common practice for TLG to reach out to entrepreneurs like deejay who have prototyped their own extensions of the line and issue cease and desist orders? What are the boundaries here? Are there any formal rules for what to do if you're thinking of starting your own cottage industry extending the Lego line? I understand that deejay modded bricks, so that may have been the reason he was asked to halt sales of his really excellent looking product, but what would TLG have said (or could they have the right to say anything) if his design hadn't modded any bricks?

Just asking if anyone else has faced this kind of response from TLG in the face of some really revolutionary entrepreneurial idea.

--Rob

This all depends on local laws, and if it might have a severe financial effect on you prudent business practice would be to see a lawyer (I'm not one), but generally speaking I'll give some broad advice. TLG have in the past been quick to defend what they see as transgressions on their copyrights, patents and trademarks. Some of these legal actions they have lost, so maybe they have been too quick. I've been told their US legal team is particularly keen.

On the other hand there are successful small businesses such as Big Ben Bricks, Brick Arms, Brick Forge etc. TLG has even worked with Ben from BBB so they are not dead against all third party products. A small business would be mad to even attempt to defend against TLG, purely because the cost would outweigh any profit you might make. It is far better to avoid any possible problems.

Here are a few suggestions;

Don't infringe on any copyrighted material, which includes set designs, part designs, sticker sheets, instructions, set photos etc. If you need to use an official TLG set or part as an illustration, make your own photos and be clear the LEGO design isn't for sale. Anything you sell should be completely built yourself, ie your own molds not re-molded or modified from LEGO parts.

Don't infringe on TLG's trademarks, such as the word LEGO, the font used one their logo, the logo itself etc. This pretty much means don't use them on or in advertising for your product.

I'm not sure if TLG patents each new type of brick, but if they do you can't use the same idea as those in the patents. How long a patent lasts and where it is recognized varies around the world, so check with your local patent office if unsure.

TLG have a disclaimer they like fan sites to use to make it clear they are not involved, it would be wise to use that. They also have guidelines about the use of the word LEGO, only as an adjective, ie LEGO set, LEGO bricks. I think they also like it always in all caps. You can probably find this on their website.

TLG see their most important asset as the LEGO brand. They'd probably much rather stomp a single small entrepreneur than face complaints from consumers who have confused the two. Even worse is TLG facing a law suit from a child injured by a faulty product produced by the entrepreneur. Make sure any product you make is safe, and is very clearly nothing to do with TLG.

I've been told by employee's of TLG that many people can't tell the difference between LEGO products and clone brands, and ring up to complain about Megablocks, Tyco etc. To really avoid trouble you have to make it clear even to simpletons that your product is in no way associated with TLG. Of course for marketing purposes you probably want to make it clear it works with LEGO bricks. That's why so many clones refer to things like 'other brands'.

Hi,

yes Petertab....that´s right. :)

But when someone is interested....we find a way.

Call me

I'm wondering how your did the circuit. The switches are continuous and I think you just want to kick the motor to left or to right. Or did you just use them as digital inputs for a uC?

Great work. :thumbup:

Do you have to modify the Lego track at all? If not, this creation should be adapted and sold by TLC.

Thanks for great videos :classic:

Would want to buy some of these if possible

BĂ¥rd

Thanks a lot for the Comments. :)

The Tracks must be modified a little bit. But not much.

@ baard : you can write me when you´re interested.

Here are some of those electric switches in practical use.

Please understand, handling a camera, 4 trains and all switches is kinda hard. ^^

Hi there, i have made similar switch motors using DC motors from old CDROM drives, here is some pics here My link

Also on my post on same topic here My link

These motors work really well when used with momentary switches or controlled by microcontroller, and really cheap too..free!!!

When someone is interested:

I have a Set including 8 Motorunits with Controlunit remaining. (Look Picture)

Because i made a other for me with 16 Units. :)

Set8er.jpg

weichentuner@freenet.de

Edited by deejay

When someone is interested:

I have a Set including 8 Motorunits with Controlunit remaining. (Look Picture)

Because i made a other for me with 16 Units. :)

Hi there, your points motors look really good. Did you have to modify the switch so it would change with less friction? I had to do that with mine as the motors i use didn't have quite enough torque.

Edited by skaako