Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 4 Bugs and brick errors

1 -Part 4523 lacks its bottom attachment point.

Do you mean that the bottom of the bag should attach on a stud? Please verify that this is so - I don't have this part so I can't test.

Yes, it's supposed to. I was gonna post this, but I never got around to it. Thanks Lyichir! :sweet:

Bugs found while building the 8043:

The 8 tooth gear doesnt fit there:

bug.png

Axle 4 with stud doesnt fit in its place:

bug2.png

The new gearbox connector didnt fit all the way through (already reported bug):

lddscreenshot34.png

And the axle 5,5 is too long, so the half bush was left out:

lddscreenshot35.png

Bugs found while building the 8043:

The 8 tooth gear doesnt fit there:

Axle 4 with stud doesnt fit in its place:

The new gearbox connector didnt fit all the way through (already reported bug):

And the axle 5,5 is too long, so the half bush was left out:

8 tooth gear bug allready reported earlier to TLG

Axle 4 - I can't see where the problem is. Can you post a clearer pic?

Gearbox connector reported before

Axle 5,5 too long is an excellent find. reported.

8 tooth gear bug allready reported earlier to TLG

Axle 4 - I can't see where the problem is. Can you post a clearer pic?

Gearbox connector reported before

Axle 5,5 too long is an excellent find. reported.

The problem with Axle 4 is that this is the kind with the "stop" at the end-- and the "stop" is forced by the gear to sit inside the "lip" of the light gray part underneath it (cannot be placed). It's the same as part 6587 Crossaxle 3M with knob not fitting snugly in a Technic hole when attached by the stud-- the "stop" is not allowed to press in securely as it is in many sets.

The problem with Axle 4 is that this is the kind with the "stop" at the end-- and the "stop" is forced by the gear to sit inside the "lip" of the light gray part underneath it (cannot be placed). It's the same as part 6587 Crossaxle 3M with knob not fitting snugly in a Technic hole when attached by the stud-- the "stop" is not allowed to press in securely as it is in many sets.

My head is a bit mushy after decoding all the brick bugs reported lately. Can you give me a simplified pic with an example please.

My head is a bit mushy after decoding all the brick bugs reported lately. Can you give me a simplified pic with an example please.

error_7.png

See, the "stop" at the end should recess into the "lip" of a Technic hole.

I found a bug (I don't now if it's a "real" bug); if you want to paint a slope, you have to click twice. One time for the diagonal part and one time for the rest. Maybe this is a known bug, I don't now.

See, the "stop" at the end should recess into the "lip" of a Technic hole.

Thanks.

Will you ask your brother to have a look at the comments I had to his massive list.

Thanks.

Will you ask your brother to have a look at the comments I had to his massive list.

Trust me; I'm making sure he does that. It's taking him quite a while to get screenshots; he's very reluctant to do things that involve Photoshop.

My little brother is using his laptop right now (my house's main computer doesn't have LEGO Digital Designer), but as soon as Lyi gets back on his laptop I'm going to... *ahem*... "encourage" him to get done with that. :devil:

Trust me; I'm making sure he does that. It's taking him quite a while to get screenshots; he's very reluctant to do things that involve Photoshop.

My little brother is using his laptop right now (my house's main computer doesn't have LEGO Digital Designer), but as soon as Lyi gets back on his laptop I'm going to... *ahem*... "encourage" him to get done with that. :devil:

Excellent, excellent :laugh:

Another I just noticed while looking at an older set I'd made:

error_8.png

The opaque part of Crystal King's jaw piece becomes transparent when looking at it through the transparent section. When looking at it from the opaque side, it is opaque. This is a problem with most parts that can be colored two separate colors-- for instance, paint the top surface of a 1x1 tile a transparent color, and you'll be able to see through the top surface but not through the bottom surface. However, Crystal King's jaw is one of the few parts which is required to be painted both a transparent color and an opaque color in order to match the real piece.

Edited by Aanchir

OK, done looking at the list. Lots of gems here. :thumbup: My comments and questions below (I've taken the liberty of numbering the issues)

1 -Part 4523 lacks its bottom attachment point.

Do you mean that the bottom of the bag should attach on a stud? Please verify that this is so - I don't have this part so I can't test.

EDIT: Allready confirmed by Prateek.

2 -There are boundary errors on parts 41678, 32310, 4588, 57029, 50747, 30238, and 50967.

If you could supply image examples of these ones it would be great.

3 -Part 4185 has a major boundary error: Technic connector pegs cannot be inserted right up against it.

Yepp, Known bug, but a great find nevertheless

4 -Corrugated pipes (for example, part 71986) do not accept Technic connector pegs.

Great find. Can't remember having heard that bug reported before

5 -Part 4150 cannot be centered on a row of studs.

It is tricky to position it, but it should work. Try again, otherwise, please explain more in detail what the error is.

6 -Part 33121 cannot be centered between studs.

Good find

7 -Parts 30103, 30091, and 32138 lack a connection point for 3.2mm bar.

Good find

8 -Connection point for 3.2mm bar does not go deep enough on Part 4289.

Known bug (I think reported by your brother)

9 -Part 3063 cannot be rotationally offset from itself.

It can actually, but it's tricky. More info here http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43868

10 -Rubber bands/treads do not work: Parts 85546, 53992 etc.

Yepp, none of them work.

11 -Part 6119 cannot rotate properly on Part 30124.

Good find.

12 -Technic pinhole on Parts 53457, 2695, 44359, 75535, 32126 will not accept system attachment.

32126 and 53457 will not connect because it's most likely modeled as a half beam, and none of those accept studs in LDD as of now (hopefully in the future). At least that's my guess. One reason for this is that there seems to be an issue about putting studs in from both ends in a half-beam (which is not possible with physcial bricks since they would collide).

75535 I heard was fixed in the next release (some good news I suppose)

2695 was good find - never heard of that bug before!

13 -Parts 32199, 61356, 30191, 71923, 71986, 57274, 63142, 6211 cannot flex.

Yepp, we all want more flex in LDD :classic:

14 -Part 45590 cannot flex or stretch.

Same as above

15-Part 30396 cannot accept towball attachment.

Reported just a few days ago actually

16 -Parts 54654, 57028, 43750, 40395 cannot be painted multiple colors.

The first two I heard about, but not the last two. (speaking of: shouldn't the last two connect? I can't seem to get it to work).

17-Part 44358 will not accept Part 44359.

Yes, that's a known bummer.

18 -Part 30644 will not accept stud connections on lower surface of rotors.

Not sure I understand this. Is is the grooves running along the underside you mean?

Another thing I spotted is that the center hole will not accept a stud top-down.

19 -All plates have a boundary error: Technic cross axle cannot recess slightly into tubes on lower surface.

Good point.

20 -Parts 55296, 55297 cannot be attached to open studs.

They will attach to a 3062 for example, but do you mean the won't attach to a hollow stud? If so, are they supposed to? The ends of the 3.2 mm bar pieces are slanted.

21-Part 44572 has bad render.

Where? Can you please show.

22 -Part 4095 does not sink into Part 6143 properly.

Aha, you mean from the underside, right?

23-Part 47905 does not connect to Technic.

Yes, there a quite a few of that kind that doesn't - 87087, 4733 etc

24-Part 58176 cannot connect to Part 6269.

Have you verified with physcial bricks that it should?

25-Part 6587, when connected to Technic by the stud, does not properly sink into the Technic pinhole.

Ah, yes, that's a known one, and very annoying one.

26-Hinge error in part 44567: When attached to 1x_ bricks with click hinges (parts 30387, 30388, etc.), cannot be hinged more than -46.85 degrees.

Yepp, a known one. There's an even nastier bug buried here too. Try putting a 44302 at 90 degrees flipped up, but inverted (so studs outwards). Then save. Now open file and *puff* 44302 is gone :wacko:

27-Standard clips cannot attach to part 2496.

Excellent find. Well spotted

28-Boundary error on part 32476: Peghole does not allow cross-axles all the way through; pegs cannot be rotated fully.

I can see that pegs cannot be rotated, but I'm not sure I see the cross-axle bug.

29-On Minifigs, headgear 60747 does not fit over beard 60750.

In which order do you place the parts? Head first, or beard first. Will it make a difference?

30-Boundary error on part 47905: 3.2mm bar cannot sink into underside of piece.

It actually can't sink into any Brick or plate anti-stud. I think there is a system wide boundary error on bricks, and that the LDD team have to do some more general redesign to get this to work.

31-Multiple Minifig neck accessories cannot be attached at the same time; some leave too much space between accessory and head (for example cape 50231).

Yeah, it seems to have to do with how the Head vs. accessories is modelled in LDD and the cape takes up a "full height" even though in reality is paper thin.

32-Boundary error on part 48002: Cross-axles should be able to sink into the base 1/5 module further.

Are you sure? If I make the mast transparent, it looks like the x-axle is going all the way in flush. Or do you mean it should sink in even further?

33-Connection error on part 2714: 3.2mm bars cannot be attached to the peg end.

Yepp, known one

34-Boundary error on part 6536: Gear teeth, such as those on part 3647, cannot recess into end with cross-axle hole.

Reported by Zbjl some time ago. But good find.

35-System studs cannot attach to Technic peghole in part 56902.

Good find. Out of curiosity, are there any cases or sets when this technique would be needed?

36-Stud cavities (such as those of parts 3062, 6251, etc.) cannot attach to top of part 3471.

Wow, didn't even knew you are supposed to connect to the top of the tree like that. Is it a defined stud?

37-Teeth of gear 32269 do not mesh with those of gear 6589.

Reported earlier by Bojan. Fixed in next version

38-Parts such as 40379 do not fit properly in the side cavities of 59226.

Another good find

39-Part 32187 has a connection error: Technic connection pegs can only be inserted from the rear by ½ module.

Not sure I understand. However I do see that a technic peg with cross axle (6562) cannot be inserted fully from underside. Is that what you mean?

40 -ANNOYANCE: When a new 2x2 turntable (part 74340) is created, either by selecting it in the brick palette or by cloning an existing part, the piece is dragged by the upper section. This causes the piece to want to connect only to the underside of other parts, while most builders tend to build from the bottom up, meaning the part is more likely to be attached on top of other parts.

Yeah, I find that annoying too. But you explained the issue in a very good way

41-Part error on part 30115: Clips (such as on part 30237) should be able to connect to snake at more points.

How do you mean. Which points more then exist today should it connect to?

42-Minor render error: Part 32198 lacks notches on two sides of the cross-axle hole.

Sorry, can't see it

43-3.2mm bar cannot be inserted into the peg on part 43122.

Good find

44-3.2mm bar cannot be inserted far enough into part 63208; robot arm on said piece cannot rotate.

Well spotted. Reported earlier by your brother, but I guess you found it :wink:

Sorry for taking so long in my reply; I hate working with screenshots and have kind of been procrastinating. Anyway, here's what I've got:

1- Yes.

2a- Image. Come to think of it, this could be an error with part 2637 instead.

2b- Image.

2c- Image. Perhaps not technically a boundary error, but an error nonetheless.

2d- Hard to recreate in an image. Suffice it to say that the uppermost boundary on the barrel is too high, and prevents parts from being placed across it.

2e- Image.

2f- Image.

5- Image. It should be able to attach this way, believe it or not.

9- That works, unless you want a perfect 45 degree angle. Then it's a lot harder.

16- Good point. I hadn't even noticed that!

18- Yep, the grooves on the underside have been used (in sets no less!) to attach plates.

20- Good point. However, that made me realize the real error I encountered: 3.2mm bars ought to be able to recess further into part 6140. The open studs on that part go deeper than most, allowing parts like the two I mentioned to be attached to it.

21- Sure thing. I've made an image to demonstrate what I mean. Note the offset.

22- You got it.

24- Yes. It was even done in a set, 8637 Volcano Base.

28- Try inserting a cross-axle into the hole closest to the ball joint. It won't be able to be inserted more than halfway.

29- Head first, seeing as that's the only way to attach it without there being an unrealistic space. If the beard is put on first it does work, but that's not how it is in the sets.

32- It should indeed sink in further.

35- It's used in the alternate model to 8260 Tractor.

36- No, it's not defined even as far as I can tell. I didn't realize that connection was possible either, until the most recent fire station used it to stick a cat in a tree.

39- No. I've made an image to demonstrate what I mean.

41- I was wrong about that one: A set had me connect it in a way which would technically stress the clip.

42- Compare to the part's image on Bricklink. Could just be a molding mark.

Just found another egregious error. Part 85976 doesn't can't be placed on top of studs; the render won't allow it, even though the part should technically be able to, like part 85977 or larger tracks like 53400.

EDIT: Just found a couple more. For one, cross-axles do not go far enough into part 59900 (I'm sure that's already been reported). The other is part 60752; it can't sink far enough into open studs (like that on the aforementioned part 59900).

Edited by Lyichir

Just found another egregious error. Part 85976 doesn't can't be placed on top of studs; the render won't allow it, even though the part should technically be able to, like part 85977 or larger tracks like 53400.

None of the tracks can be put on a baseplate (studs)... i use a "copy" made out of other parts here: Train station.

The curved tracks cannot be put directly on a baseplate anyways, so i didn't bother with making a copy of that anyways, but maybe u can come up with a similar thing for the narrow curved track.

Edited by Bojan Pavsic

EDIT: Just found a couple more. For one, cross-axles do not go far enough into part 59900 (I'm sure that's already been reported). The other is part 60752; it can't sink far enough into open studs (like that on the aforementioned part 59900).

59900 was known, but the sword 60752 was new.

None of the tracks can be put on a baseplate (studs)... i use a "copy" made out of other parts here: Train station.

The curved tracks cannot be put directly on a baseplate anyways, so i didn't bother with making a copy of that anyways, but maybe u can come up with a similar thing for the narrow curved track.

I wasn't referring to a baseplate... Fact of the matter is that you can't even place one of the crossbars of that track on a 2x4 plate. There are no recessions for any studs to fit into on it.

I wasn't referring to a baseplate... Fact of the matter is that you can't even place one of the crossbars of that track on a 2x4 plate. There are no recessions for any studs to fit into on it.

Read again what i wrote and check this out:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bpavsic/LDDStuff/ldd_fake85976.jpg

I was just pointing u to be creative. If some part is not in LDD or is broken, make a fake one yourself. It does not look as good, but it surely works as one.

Wow, how did you fake that narrow rail?

Hehe, pretty easy... just put some bricks on the original one, then put the plates on it and when all where there, just moved them off the original. That way i had the right positioning. Then i just put some cliptiles on and those lightsabers, to get the feel of the curved track.

Edited by Bojan Pavsic