Hi all,

I have always been a 12V fan, but am now switching to 9V and PF/RC.

I have recently bought a 4551, but, in comparison to the santa fe, BNSF, 7750 etc etc you never read a lot about this set? How come?

4551-1.jpg

Cheers,

Thomas

Hi all,

I have recently bought a 4551, but, in comparison to the santa fe, BNSF, 7750 etc etc you never read a lot about this set? How come?

Cheers,

Thomas

I think it's a combination of 4551 being an older set so fewer people remember it and the fact that it is a less detailed model of a less famous prototype. To me it looks like a German or Austrian crocodile, but the Swiss crocodile is far more widely known, but still not easily recognized in the English speaking world. I'm not sure but I suspect 4551 was also far less widely available, it didn't come to Australia as far as I know and I suspect it may not have been available in the US either.

I was under the impression that the set was wildly popular, and that is the reason an AFOL remake of it was on the cover of the hobby train set.

I went out of my way (and budget) to buy a new one of these about a year ago. One of my all-time favourite trains, and yes it wasn't sold in Australia and thus is very rare here.

Well worth bringing it in. :thumbup:

Hi all,

I think most people would prefer the swiss crocodile in the hobby train set, especially when it was on sale a few years ago at 50% off.

By the way, why are you switching away from 12V? Is it because 12V is too much work? (I'd certainly understand that, every time I set up a 12V track I have to clean it, otherwise the trains won't run.)

I was under the impression that the set was wildly popular, and that is the reason an AFOL remake of it was on the cover of the hobby train set.

I think it has some level of popularity among 9V collectors, but it's hardly a metroliner. It is also much rarer which suggests to me that it didn't sell as well as the metroliner. I think a lot of it's desirability is about rarity and collectors wanting all the 9V trains. It's certainly not the 9V set that I like the most, that would be Freight Rail Runner, or maybe the Santa Fe Super Chief.

The hobby train model is of a Swiss crocodile which is a more popular prototype, there are many MOCs around of Swiss crocodiles, far fewer of German (I've built one and I've seen a few more) and I'm not sure I've ever seen an Austrian one, though I'd have to guess someone has made one. I'm not sure why the Swiss crocodile was chosen for the box of the hobby train, but I'd guess because it used more of the parts than the other models. Perhaps gambort has some insider info on that choice (since he worked on the hobby train set).

I think it has some level of popularity among 9V collectors, but it's hardly a metroliner. It is also much rarer which suggests to me that it didn't sell as well as the metroliner.

Compared to the Metroliner, the crocodile was available for a shorter period of time. It was being sold for three years before it was discontinued. The Metroliner, however, was being sold for five years.

By the way, I have got one. I bought it in used condition and I'd love to have a MISB one. The used one came without stickers and the engine driver came with a trousers in the wrong colour. If a new one weren't so expensive... *sigh* :cry_sad: So I find it a brilliant set and I think most 9V fans think the same. I'd be surprised if the opposite were the case.

Edited by legotrainfan

I've been informed that 4551 was available in Australia, though as with most Lego trains it was only stock by a few retailers.

Compared to the Metroliner, the crocodile was available for a shorter period of time. It was being sold for three years before it was discontinued. The Metroliner, however, was being sold for five years.

That probably confirms that it had lower sales. Sets are discontinued when their sales drop.

Someone asked why I was turning away from 12V... Well, I am not entirely. ATM I do not buy any more 12V. I am keeping the sets I have and am converting some to PF.

I know the swiss crocodile set was much more popular than the 4551 set, BUT, if you compare a real swiss crocodile to the LEGO one, they have almost nothing in commen (starting with the wrong color). The santa fe is a wonderfull engine, mostly because it looks exactly like the real thing. So does the BNSF. The 4551 is an exact copy of an austrian 1020 class... So why people would say it isn't as good as the swiss crocodile, is a complete mystery to me...

t3_37226.jpg

I know the swiss crocodile set was much more popular than the 4551 set, BUT, if you compare a real swiss crocodile to the LEGO one, they have almost nothing in commen (starting with the wrong color). The santa fe is a wonderfull engine, mostly because it looks exactly like the real thing. So does the BNSF. The 4551 is an exact copy of an austrian 1020 class... So why people would say it isn't as good as the swiss crocodile, is a complete mystery to me...

I think the popularity isn't just about the model, but also about the availability (and also the price). The hobby train set allows you to build thirty models, and was discounted to 50% off, so was/is far more affordable. Also its a more modern set so more people probably own it.

While I agree about the inaccuracy of the swiss crocodile theres a list of things that are not exact if you think 4551 is an 1020 class. The window layout is wrong, the vents on the side of the body are symmetrical, the white striping is in a different spot, the roof doesn't have the central hump, the noses don't have the correct number of vents, there are no grab rails beside the doors.

The swiss crocodile is a far more interesting build in my mind because it uses SNOT techniques. It also has more fine details which make it a bit more interesting to look at (and more fragile; bits get caught and fall off it when it runs).

I think they are both nice trains, and they are similar but one is a rarer collectors item and costs more, and the other was available at a discount no so long ago. I think the hobby train was far better value. Since I don't want to collect all the 9V trains I don't see 4551 as a must have.

Well, seeing the picture of the Austrian 1020, I do think the set is based on this model. Sure, the colours are different, but remember this was not a special release like the BNSF. Remember that the TEE loc has different pantographs than the real Br 103 (and I think new style pantographs would be possible even back then). It was not ment to be a replica, but a nice looking engine. And it seems to me the designers were inspired by the 1020.

I think an important problem of 4551 was it's (lack of) performance. I don't own it, but reading reviews and comments on the internet, the Crocodile Engine is infamous for it's derailments. I think this was caused by the light leading sections. One of them was a little bit too high, because it was connected to the 9V motor.

Edited by Richie