Seeing as I am Wappanese I am very excited... Let's hope Lego doesn't make it rubbish and cheesy...

Oh, it's definitely going to be cheesy, if the information so far is any indication. Whether it's rubbish, though, is a matter of opinion.

The website has been updated with some details on the "world" where this series takes place. There are a few regions highlighted, with ten sections of each. You click and drag the page corners to view another region, and hit the arrows to move to the next section of whatever region you're on. At the end there's a quiz asking "Which Ninjago animal are you?"

Everything is extremely cheesy (but charmingly so), and nothing is taken too seriously. But I don't mind that. The one thing I mind is that so far, based on this website, there's very little marking it clearly as a LEGO theme-- neither the animals nor the landscapes have a LEGO-like appearance or descriptions that tie in with LEGO-related concepts.

Another thing I ought to mention: several new Ninjago parts were added to LDD when it upgraded to 4.0 yesterday. What this mainly includes is the skeleton leg with boot (regrettably, can't be painted two separate colors using the paint bucket tool), skeleton arm (some people might be disappointed that the clips are parallel like on a battle droid arm-- perhaps there will be more than one variation, perhaps not, but in the very least it's gorgeous on either the new or old skeleton torsos), and the torso (also the armor piece with four shoulder spikes, but that's never been too interesting to me).

I have mixed feelings about the torso-- it has more detail than I want in some places (the curved pelvis, the angled ribcage) and less than I want in others (the spine itself no longer has the ridges of the old version). The good thing is that it still works as an appropriate minifigure skeleton in that it could conceivably fit underneath the "skin" of a regular minifigure. The same applies to the arms, which is one of the reasons I love them so much.

It's noteworthy that the new skeleton torso is not symmetrical in as many dimensions as the old one- there is a clearly defined "front" and "back". Also, perhaps one of the key reasons for the new design is that it is slightly thicker in parts-- not enough that it would fit awkwardly inside a minifig's "skin", but enough that most minifig armor can fit snugly without wobbling like it used to. This is because of a protrusion of the chest in the front and a protrusion of the spine in the back-- other parts of the new torso are about the same thickness as an old-style skeleton, that is, slightly thinner than one brick or a generic minifig torso.

If it turns out that LEGO plans to switch completely to the new style of skeleton, with the new torso and everything, it'll probably take some time getting used to it. In the meantime, though, the arms look great on a Fantasy Era skeleton torso, as do the booted feet, and I'm going to have a lot of fun just goofing around with skeleton parts once Ninjago comes out.

The most interesting place to me in NinjaGo are the floating Ruins, and if TLG makes a set of the place I wonder if the Skeletons will have flying machine ?

Edited by Dr.Cogg

Another thing I ought to mention: several new Ninjago parts were added to LDD when it upgraded to 4.0 yesterday. What this mainly includes is the skeleton leg with boot (regrettably, can't be painted two separate colors using the paint bucket tool), skeleton arm (some people might be disappointed that the clips are parallel like on a battle droid arm-- perhaps there will be more than one variation, perhaps not, but in the very least it's gorgeous on either the new or old skeleton torsos), and the torso (also the armor piece with four shoulder spikes, but that's never been too interesting to me).

newlddparts.png

Also, the dragon's head and jaw pieces appear to be in there, as well as that odd curved propeller-blade-like triangular panel labeled "wing", which might be related to this theme.

I don't mind that the skeleton arms have the same clip directions because the arm is shorter and therefore less awkward.

Also, the dragon's head and jaw pieces appear to be in there, as well as that odd curved propeller-blade-like triangular panel labeled "wing", which might be related to this theme.

I don't mind that the skeleton arms have the same clip directions because the arm is shorter and therefore less awkward.

The propellor/wing theme has nothing to do with this theme. They're from this Dacta set from this year.

Also, if you were intending to get all 2011 parts, you forgot the new-style dog from the upcoming Police sets-- it has a more curved face than the current one (which is also on LDD).

Edited by Aanchir

Hmm, interesting. So far, the website seems to indicate that there are four main elements, and therefore probably only four ninja variants. We may see more, but so far it doesn't look that way.

The new pieces look nice. I hope the skeleton torso/armour can be used on standard minifigs too.

The propellor/wing theme has nothing to do with this theme. They're from this Dacta set from this year.

oic

Also, if you were intending to get all 2011 parts, you forgot the new-style dog from the upcoming Police sets-- it has a more curved face than the current one (which is also on LDD).

I wasn't, just ones from the themes that are relevant to my interests.

*snip*

Those parts are definitely cool. Though the dragon has gone from my wants list to my probably won't get list. :grin:

I wasn't, just ones from the themes that are relevant to my interests.

I was just thinking since you had the crowbar (which is also from the Police theme) you were aiming to get all the 2011 parts. But maybe the crowbar also shows up in another theme and I just wasn't paying attention.

And Vertea, no, there aren't any new PQ or Atlantis parts in LDD (yet). Of course, as far as Atlantis is concerned the helmet and armor from the Portal Guardian/Portal Emperor (he's called different things in different sources; basically the fishman from the Portal of Atlantis set) are both now available.

Anyway, as far as ninja "variants" go, I imagine that there probably won't be very many colors, but rest assured that every figure that comes individually packaged with a top will likely have a unique torso print. If I'm correct, that's certainly a bit more impressive than in the previous Ninja line where every Ninja used one of two torso prints regardless of torso color.

They are already having ads for Ninjago. Look in the december 2010 issue of lego magazine. default_thumbup.gifdefault_classic.gif

I was just thinking since you had the crowbar (which is also from the Police theme) you were aiming to get all the 2011 parts. But maybe the crowbar also shows up in another theme and I just wasn't paying attention.

Nah, I grabbed that early on along with the quad-clip that I thought was new and that small ball-jointed thing. Then once I decided to scan through all the tabs I decided to limit myself.

Anyway, does anyone have the image of the set with the dragon in it? I want to figure out how the head is built.

I have tried that but the known image is to blurry for real examination. If there's another picture then please give me the link anyone.

I have downloaded a PDF copy of the catalog, though I don't know where you'd find it online and don't know if the mods would want me linking to that anyway. Suffice it to say the head is not very impressive in how it is built. Build a Thornax Launcher using the two "forks" (64275), a 5-length double-socket-joint (89650), and two three-module axles (4519). Then stick the upper jaw on one end and the lower jaw on the other. That's all there is to it, really.

Don't get me wrong; I love the Icedragon's design, but I was kind of let down because I expected the jaw to be hinged so it could open. It seems like I'm going to be disappointed (unless the design changes dramatically from the preliminary to the final model, which given the design of the head and lower jaw I don't anticipate).

I have downloaded a PDF copy of the catalog, though I don't know where you'd find it online and don't know if the mods would want me linking to that anyway. Suffice it to say the head is not very impressive in how it is built. Build a Thornax Launcher using the two "forks" (64275), a 5-length double-socket-joint (89650), and two three-module axles (4519). Then stick the upper jaw on one end and the lower jaw on the other. That's all there is to it, really.

That seems to be right, unfortunately. The thornax launcher looks out of place there, plus the mouth isn't hinged, so I'll probably modify it to have a hinged jaw. That issue aside, I hope the rumoured earth dragon has a similar overall design to fit with the ice one.

Also, I noticed that while Pharaoh's Quest is in the products list, the Ninjago website isn't. At least, when I checked it wasn't.

Just leads to a survey about Lego club: Code's "clubsurvey"

Nothing to do with NinjaGo, sadly.

-Mesonak

Ninjago website's been updated again, with four games. I'm not much for playing online games (particularly right now, when I have schoolwork to be focused on), but if anyone wants to play them I implore you to share your feedback with the rest of us here at Eurobricks.

There was also a LEGO Universe ad that I'd never seen before which played while the game title page was loading, but that's not really relevant to this topic.