posades

2010 Winter Olympics Thread

Oh my goodness. USA is too good. They win at least 3 medals/day. Canada had a disappointing victory over Switzerland just now IMO. I'm sad. :sad:

Oh my goodness. USA is too good. They win at least 3 medals/day. Canada had a disappointing victory over Switzerland just now IMO. I'm sad. :sad:

That was a GREAT game. I was expecting Team Canada to just walk right over the Swiss, but the Swiss came out with their hard-hitting "A" game and really impressed me. I think I have a new team to watch now. But I was pulling for Canada a little bit, if only because they're loaded up with my beloved San Jose Sharks players :laugh:

Watching the Swiss Vs. Canada Ice Hockey game. Its the first time I have really watched an ice hockey so I dont really know what is going on. Its the same as watching the curling because in New Zealand we dont get a lot of the snow sports other than skiing and snowboarding which is a real shame because I reckon a lot of people would be interested in playing these sports if everyone was informed about them.

It's good to count madals, but some are really worth more than just another number in the statistics.

Like our ski runner Petra Majdic: she fell on the warm up session (part of track was unoprotedcet and she fell in 3 meter ditch) and was badly injured. She had horrible pains and was advised to retire from the games, but she refused that and ran 3 sprint races, winning 2 and was 3rd in the finale. She fell down after ever every race and had to be carried to the podium to recive the medal.

After the race she was immediately carried to hospital and was dignosed to have four ribs broken. It's a condtion in which people usually hardly can walk, and are far from winning olympic medals.

And I also just have to give comment about safety on this games: I think that these games are one of the worst prepared in a long time. In almost each competition which I watched some serios mistakes were made.

You're absolutely right, Cwetqo. Petra Majdic's bronze medal was a heroic achievement (even if I'm a little disappointed that she beat Anna Olsson from Sweden in the finish :tongue: ). But I could celebrate yesterday when Anja Paerson took the bronze in women's alpine super combined, despite the big crash she had in the downhill race the day before, a bronze that felt like it was worth like a gold :classic::thumbup:

And I agree that the functionary work at the olympics has been really bad, they seems to cut back on safety all the time and make stupid mistakes of top of that. :thumbdown:

I just watched a summary from the Canada - Switzerland game, really great play by the Swiss and especially from their golie Hiller. Nice to see that the Canadiens gets some good competition so they doesn't get too cocky :tongue:

The standings are at (I think):

USA - 18

Germany - 11

Norway - 8

Canada & France - 7

Thought the Canadian's medals are better, the French have like 4 bronze. I always love watching the olympics. :classic:

Watched the Canada-Switzerland game last night, they had me worried a bit towards the end of the third period and Overtime, but they pulled through. Too bad they only get two points for an OT/Shootout win as opposed to three for a win in regular time. :sceptic:

Nice to see that the Canadiens gets some good competition so they doesn't get too cocky :tongue:

Believe me, that won't stop them. :tongue:

Nice to see that the Canadiens gets some good competition so they doesn't get too cocky :tongue:

Canada's not cocky, USA is cocky.

Canada's not cocky, USA is cocky.

As far as hockey is concerned, I'm not so sure.

I know when the teams were announced I said "Yeah...USA won't be getting a medal". I was convinced it'd be Canada and Russia in the Gold/Silver game and probably the Czech Republic and Slovokia in the Bronze game. Well, so far the US has the best record with 6 points, but Russia and Canada are still strong with 5 each. I still don't think USA will win a gold, but I'm now thinking they're at least in the running for the bronze. Either way, with the formerly invincible looking Canada and Russia showing some chinks in the armor, it makes the whole tourney a lot more interesting :thumbup:

Excuse me, but Sweden got 6 points in the hockey too :grin:

And we got a fourth medal today! The women's 15km cross-country pursuit was a really thrilling competition and Swedish Anna Haag managed to take the silver behind Marit Bjørgen from Norway. :sweet:

YES! Fourth gold, and- of all people-JON MONTGOMERY! This is awesome! And now, France is fith... bwah-ha-ha...

Wow!

That last cross-country ski race was unbelievable. :oh: Silver for Tobias Angerer from Germany! :sweet:

Etzel, your swedes did pretty well in that race as well. :laugh: Congrats on the gold and bronze.

Man those South Koreans are too darned good at short track. :hmpf_bad: At least Apolo got the Bronze, which is probably better than he would have gotten if all three Koreans qualified for the final. :tongue:

Big showdown between Canada and US in ice hockey tomorrow, should be fun to watch for those who are fans.

Wow!

That last cross-country ski race was unbelievable. :oh: Silver for Tobias Angerer from Germany! :sweet:

Etzel, your swedes did pretty well in that race as well. :laugh: Congrats on the gold and bronze.

I'm still all shaky from watching the race! :cry_happy: :cry_happy: :grin:

What a team work! I've never seen such tactics in cross-country skiing before. The gold was great but I'm almost more happy because of Johan Olsson getting the bronze after all the hard work he did.

To the Norwegians :tongue: :

:sing: Seiern er vår! Seiern er vår!... :sing:

oh, and the hockey tonight! Three great games to look forward to, Canada - USA, Russia - Czech Rep. and Finland - Sweden :wub:

"It's a big rivalry. I wouldn't say I hate them; you have respect for the other team. Canadians expect to win the gold, and anything less is not good enough. It's going to be fun to try and knock them off."

I'm not seeing the cockyness there. :tongue: Just seems to me they're playing the underdog card, and of course trying to rattle the cage of the Canadians a bit which seems to be working. :laugh:

"It's a big rivalry. I wouldn't say I hate them; you have respect for the other team. Canadians expect to win the gold, and anything less is not good enough. It's going to be fun to try and knock them off."

I'm not seeing the cockyness there. :tongue: Just seems to me they're playing the underdog card, and of course trying to rattle the cage of the Canadians a bit which seems to be working. :laugh:

Then why did they say they "hate" us? :wacko: Anyways, it'll be a good game today. Hopefully Canada wins :grin:

Edited by prateek

Too much aggression can't lead to no good. As far as I'm concerned, I'm a big fan of Chris Pronger from his Avalanche years, but that sums it up for the US team... And for the record - I wear a Team Canada jersey when I go training :tongue:

P.S.: Am I the only one who feels Ovechkin has been totally useless for Russia so far? Good thing they have a strong team, because if they were to depend on their "star" player, they'd totally be struggling.

Edited by MetroiD

That Ski-Cross was a big dissapointment for Canada... I ws hoping for all three of our guys on the podium.

That Ski-Cross was a big dissapointment for Canada... I ws hoping for all three of our guys on the podium.

Grrr... I was pissed off when that happened. Canada is a big disappointment this year, they keep ending up 4th, 5th, or 6th, rarely on the podium :hmpf_bad:

Come on, you got 8 medals already :wink:

Oh, the game is starting. Gotta go!

P.S.: Am I the only one who feels Ovechkin has been totally useless for Russia so far? Good thing they have a strong team, because if they were to depend on their "star" player, they'd totally be struggling.

I wouldn't say that, personally. I've seen him being a good role-player and making some good plays and hits. Just because his scoring isn't explosive doesn't mean he's useless.

And I don't see how hate equals cockiness. If anything it is playing off that underdog thing. Nobody expects Team USA to win a gold (myself included) so all they have to feed off of is drumming up sports hate for the favorites. But, like I said, it's just sports hate. Patrick Marleau is my favorite hockey player, but right now he's wearing the enemy's uniform, so I "hate" him deino2.gif

Besides...people who accuse Americans of being cocky are just suffering from their own deep-seeded inferiority complexes :tongue:

Well, in any case, hats off to Team USA for the wonderfully played game. Canada were totally clueless tonight, and a major reason for that was the tactically sound play of the American team.