Sonic Screwdriver

Does Space Police III promote racism and xenophobia?

Seriously though, it would be nice to see a few aliens in the police force, and maybe also a human crime ring whose attempts at megabloks-trafficking must be stopped by the brave Space Police. :wink:

May I use that idea? You inspired me!

Just thought I should note that there is at least one alien Space Police member:

http://constructopedia01.wikia.com/wiki/Of...2%80%99gkkt%5E9

There are so many typos in there, not to mention that website doesn't even have an article on Space Police. Lego also wouldn't put a nine in something's name. :hmpf:

I'll go look in Lego's actual log. How many Legopedias are there? They're all terrible. (No offense to any creators.)

EDIT: Nope, the whole police log is here: http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-US/policelo...outine%20patrol No Xlr'gkkt^9's in there.

Edited by Darth Legolas

I noticed in the late 90s, lego seemed to stop doing Human VS Human. I remember earlier themes there were nothing else, skeletons aside.

I think lego is trying to make itself look non-violent. For example, SPIII has freeze rays; not guns. and don't even get me started on bionicle....

huh

There are so many typos in there, not to mention that website doesn't even have an article on Space Police. Lego also wouldn't put a nine in something's name. :hmpf:

I'll go look in Lego's actual log. How many Legopedias are there? They're all terrible. (No offense to any creators.)

EDIT: Nope, the whole police log is here: http://spacepolice.lego.com/en-US/policelo...outine%20patrol No Xlr'gkkt^9's in there.

Last year's police logs are already gone from the site, but Google still has the record. You can see the vestiges of good ol' Officer Xlr'gkkt^9 here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;aqi=&oq=

Yeah, that fellow Xlr'gkkt^9 was mentioned in last year's police logs (wish those were still up, though they were troublesome to navigate). Never depicted, of course, because last year's police logs were just briefs you browsed through on the main SP page, rather than their current illustrated blog/serial format.

EDIT: Also LOLing at how bluntly they put this question on BZP. ("Are the Space Police racist?")

Edited by Aanchir

Last year's police logs are already gone from the site, but Google still has the record. You can see the vestiges of good ol' Officer Xlr'gkkt^9 here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;aqi=&oq=

I didn't find anything in that search. :wacko: Can you give us a link directly to the thing you're talking about? Not just a link to a link because I can't find it. :sceptic:

I didn't find anything in that search. :wacko: Can you give us a link directly to the thing you're talking about? Not just a link to a link because I can't find it. :sceptic:

The link doesn't lead to anything useful due to the text no longer existing on LEGO.com, but this is Google's snapshot of it in the listing I mentioned. It's the second item down when you click on the link:

Monday, November 2: Newbie training, 11:79 g.m., Space Sector C

...Newbie training, 11:79 g.m., Space Sector C. Got assigned to help rookie officer Xlr'gkkt^9 learn the ropes. Had to use a crowbar to get him through the ...

spacepolice.lego.com/en-US/Wrappers/newz_wrapper.aspx - Cached -

There is a fairly good reason that most non-liscensed themes involve non-humans as the villians - It's because Watchdog groups composed of American moms that have discovered the internet are more concerned about their children being influenced to kill other people than learning that things that aren't human are bad. In other words, leaving out the human-vs-human and having it mainly be human-vs-other means that LEGO is less likely to be sued, because people are more offended when a toy "teachers children how to kill" than when it "teaches children to be racist", even though I doubt that any toys cause anything of the sort (except possibly video games, which engage the mind in a different way, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I really dislike America for the very reason that it's full of watchdog groups with lawyers.

That seems like the only good and realistic expilination. Castle these days is also about humans vs the rest, but goblins and sceletons are an old universal theme.

But, I have the impression that Space Police is about capturing the villains, not killing them, or is that just the case in Space Police I?

However, Agents is against humans, the bad guys in most licensed themes are humans.

My answer is no. In fact, my feeling is that it promotes sympathy and awareness of these issues in a very basic and elegant way.

In Agents, PM and SP3, one side is without individuality, the other side is full of personality, variety and is just more fun.

And i think the sad Power Miners story holds a mirror up to society. If that's a bad thing, then, well...

By the way, has anyone seen that episode of south park where they're debating over the town flag?

But, I have the impression that Space Police is about capturing the villains, not killing them, or is that just the case in Space Police I?

Yeah, every incarnation of Space Police has been about imprisonment of the villains. Each version had some type of prison pod. The original one was quite ingenious, IMO, but I like the new version as well. (second version was kinda meh)

I'd say no. Being a father and seeing my kid watching shows/movies/games with humans vs. aliens or other creature incarnation, in no way does your child come away with any racist or xenophobic ideas. It's fun, fantasy play.

If you're strong in your own values of what's right and wrong...to treat everyone fairly, be openminded...those things you pass along to your child. Games and toys with combat are healthy for kids. Now with that said, games/movies with excess violence, cruelty, torture, multilation, excess gore...those will give your kid's nightmares and disturb them. They need to be a certain age to understand the fantasy from reality especially with video games graphics so realistic.

With LEGO Space Police it's good, clean fun. The cops only use freeze rays I believe and trap the prisoners in those neat pods. It teaches your kid right from wrong(stealing, defacing property, etc) actually and most importantly there are consequences for your actions.

On a personal note with me and my son, my kid always likes to somehow reform or change the bad guys to come on over to the good guys side. He often puts Lego Joker with Batman to battle crime and loves having Darth Maul come over to the 'light' side and battle the Emperor. With Space Police he loves putting Squidman on the side of the cops.

I think a few alien police officers would be pretty cool. Imagine a giant space squid enjoying a cup of coffee with the rest of the force!

I think a few alien police officers would be pretty cool. Imagine a giant space squid enjoying a cup of coffee with the rest of the force!

I agree. That would be cool. For now all we could do is switch heads.

no-hope-for-this-thread.jpg

You guys realize you're arguing about children's toys right? The impact of Space Police III on our core cultural values is obviously going to be negligible. I'd say there are far more troublesome sources of racism in this world... like the Tea Party movement.

On a more relevant note... I'm quite sure that the aliens won't be offended.