BMW

TTCE: Pancho Villa Train, Category 1 Entry

:wacko: wow, a 7 hours time difference. Does that mean you had 7 hours extra time to build your entry for the contest :wink:

I'm duly impressed, in large part simply because you chose this particular train. As a huge Indy fan myself, I'm planning on a whole series of Indy MOCs from the entire range of his adventures, and I actually already had specific plans to do the trains you've done (and others in the series). I'm actually avoiding looking at yours too closely so as to avoid being influenced by it whenever I finally am able to get around to doing my own (it's going to be a while - for one thing, I have no Trains sets in my brick collection at all yet :( ), but I'm going ahead and voting for yours all the same, mainly just on the strength of your build as seen in even a quick glance, and partly I have to admit out of pure favoritism for your subject matter. ;) Nicely done!

Edited by Blondie-Wan

This "top notch" entry was entered within the contest deadline, and built to contest rules. Let's focus on acknowledging the quality of the MOC and great details. :classic:

I'm duly impressed, in large part simply because you chose this particular train. As a huge Indy fan myself, I'm planning on a whole series of Indy MOCs from the entire range of his adventures ... Nicely done!

Thank-you for the kind words. The Indy universe is a goldmine of inspiration, in particular for steam trains. I have 3 of the other trains planned which should keep me going until V comes out.

Thank-you for the kind words. The Indy universe is a goldmine of inspiration, in particular for steam trains. I have 3 of the other trains planned which should keep me going until V comes out.

Argh - see, I didn't need to hear this; I swear I really, honestly have been planning on doing all of these myself, and didn't want to look like I was simply copying what another fan had already done. :pir-tongue::wink: But that said, I'm sure you'll do some great work. :thumbup:

Since it seems clear I won't be able to do mine anytime soon (among other things, I lack a lot of parts I want / need, plus also don't have a lot of space; I was planning on doing a lot of mine after the next time I move to a larger place to live) and you're already going in the direction I'd like to explore anyway, I'll go ahead and note I've long wanted to do a series I'd call "LEGO Indy Rides the Rails," or some such thing. Essentially, it was going to be every single rail vehicle seen anywhere throughout the movies and TV show ("rail vehicles" as opposed to "trains," to also allow for mine cars and the rocket sled, of course) - everything from this Pancho Villa / Mexican Revolution scene to the Utah 1912 circus train to the various trains Indy takes around Europe to the "Phantom Train of Doom" to the train he's taking out of the station and (seemingly) away from his life and career at the university when Mutt Williams calls out to him from his bike on the station platform. I also hope to do the usual assortment of ancient temples, dig sites, fights and the like, but this series on all the rail vehicles in the series was going to be a particular emphasis of mine. I hope to get around to it anyway, though it will be a while.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Argh - see, I didn't need to hear this; I swear I really, honestly have been planning on doing all of these myself, and didn't want to look like I was simply copying what another fan had already done. :pir-tongue::wink: But that said, I'm sure you'll do some great work. :thumbup:

Since it seems clear I won't be able to do mine anytime soon (among other things, I lack a lot of parts I want / need, plus also don't have a lot of space; I was planning on doing a lot of mine after the next time I move to a larger place to live) and you're already going in the direction I'd like to explore anyway, I'll go ahead and note I've long wanted to do a series I'd call "LEGO Indy Rides the Rails," or some such thing. Essentially, it was going to be every single rail vehicle seen anywhere throughout the movies and TV show ("rail vehicles" as opposed to "trains," to also allow for mine cars and the rocket sled, of course) - everything from this Pancho Villa / Mexican Revolution scene to the Utah 1912 circus train to the various trains Indy takes around Europe to the "Phantom Train of Doom" to the train he's taking out of the station and (seemingly) away from his life and career at the university when Mutt Williams calls out to him from his bike on the station platform. I also hope to do the usual assortment of ancient temples, dig sites, fights and the like, but this series on all the rail vehicles in the series was going to be a particular emphasis of mine. I hope to get around to it anyway, though it will be a while.

I'm sorry :-( The Indy universe is big enough for many builders and I hope that you start building soon while the creative juices are flowing. If a local LTC is available and you aren't already involved... please join as the show deadlines really do help increase building. My travelling layout is titled "Indiana Jones Brick Adventures" http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_william...57614804372146/ I wanted to name it IJ "Railroad Adventures" but felt "Brick" would have broader appeal. Still, the trains have generated the most interest and you clearly understand the appeal. I've already built the minecar chase, Indy's first railcar and the rocket sled although haven't had time to photograph these yet. I'm probably back to Raiders and Doom MOCs for a while but train-wise I'll probably get to the KOCS train (where Indy meets Mutt) last so why not start there. Note that Spielberg oddly avoids establishing shots of locomotives, but on the KOCS DVD documentary they show the locomotive at the station with a couple closeups.

- BMW

I'm sorry :-( The Indy universe is big enough for many builders and I hope that you start building soon while the creative juices are flowing. If a local LTC is available and you aren't already involved... please join as the show deadlines really do help increase building. My travelling layout is titled "Indiana Jones Brick Adventures" http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_william...57614804372146/ I wanted to name it IJ "Railroad Adventures" but felt "Brick" would have broader appeal. Still, the trains have generated the most interest and you clearly understand the appeal. I've already built the minecar chase, Indy's first railcar and the rocket sled although haven't had time to photograph these yet. I'm probably back to Raiders and Doom MOCs for a while but train-wise I'll probably get to the KOCS train (where Indy meets Mutt) last so why not start there. Note that Spielberg oddly avoids establishing shots of locomotives, but on the KOCS DVD documentary they show the locomotive at the station with a couple closeups.

- BMW

Yes, I've glimpsed some of your (terrific!) creations and I've been alternately delighted and dismayed that you've been doing the same things I want to do - dismayed obviously in that I'm not going to be "the first," but delighted as well to know that there's another fan out there who "gets it," and is into LEGO and Indy enough to want to recreate not only scenes from the movies, but from the wonderful, shamefully underappreciated TV series as well. It's extremely gratifying to see another LEGO Indy enthusiast who's as interested in MOCs with Remy, say, as with Marcus or Sallah.

While I really do want to avoid looking "too much" at yours, lest I be unduly influenced, I've seen enough of them to notice both things I was planning to do with my own (integrated lighting into the Akator throne room, for example, or the sand-green-on-top, white-on-bottom color scheme for the Flying Wing), as well as things we'd differ on (I'm probably too much of a purist for my own good, and want to avoid not only custom parts like BrickArms stuff, but even things like custom, non-official decals - I've been seriously wondering how to handle the graphics on the sides of the cars in the circus train).

It's a bit moot at the moment, as I simply don't have the resources (money, space or time) to do all the stuff I want to do anyway, but hopefully that'll change soon. I don't know about local LEGO Train groups; there's a local LEGO group that's just now getting started with monthly meetings at a local hobby store, but there's very little to it so far (I went to the first meeting a couple months ago, and a friend of mine I'd brought and I were two of the three people there), and nothing I know of with a trains-specific focus. But we'll see what the future holds... :)

An awesome train and I'm not the first OR the last one to say this, the whole MOC is brilliant. The way you recreate Indy adventures is also mind-blowing... Btw, Blondie-Wan, I'm most definitely looking forward to seeing your take on these wonderful stories :) Brian (hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name) - since I've been following your other train MOCs before you entered this one, I must say I pretty much expected this one.

What I did not expect however was the amount of users trying to somehow write it off by claiming it is too big / custom / late / cool to be considered as an official entry in this contest... Wow :sadnew:

This MOC picture had simply blown me down from my chair. Not only the train, but the whole scenery is FANTASTIC! Nothing else to say.

You've created a beautiful train and equally impressive is your ability to photograph it well to show off how great it is. Putting the train in the context of a scene was great to show it off. Great construction and attention to detail.

On an off-topic side note I first saw the Royal Train photos years and years ago and I was blown away. You do incredible work consistently!

Thanks for sharing this with the community.

-David