Sign in to follow this  
Commander Flash

Do You Keep Your Sets Sealed?

Well i have alot more opened sets than sealed ones but i don't like to break a set. This means that all my MOCing is done with non star wars sets and lots and lots of BL orders. :sweet:

The question you are asking makes me think of a simalar question, Push the button or Dont push the button.

Anyways i open all the sets i get very quickly, i think the longest time i could go was a half hour :sweet: I do keep the boxes however. And after reading another post i realize that if i dont have space for a set i would keep it in the bow until a space is clear. :wink:

I rip the box open and throw it away. Personally, I don't see the point of buying a ton of sets if you aren't going to open them and build them. Sure, 10 years down the road you can sell them and make a profit, but that's 10 years. You aren't going to be able to make any money off of them for a while.

I rip the box open and throw it away. Personally, I don't see the point of buying a ton of sets if you aren't going to open them and build them. Sure, 10 years down the road you can sell them and make a profit, but that's 10 years. You aren't going to be able to make any money off of them for a while.

I think everyone get their satisfaction differently. Some just like them MISB while others want to open them.

I think it will take less time than 10 years to sell them for a profit. There's set from 2008 that you only need to hold for less than 12 months to profit from (especially Star Wars set). And for some set ... you might not even make a profit in 10 years.

I like to open it,build the set,play with it like im 9 years old :tongue: ,save the boxes and then do who knows what with the set!

But i most certinaly not keep is MISB like a hermit! :grin:

I keep both, mostly big big sets remain seal as I can't purchase them again, as for the small set, I will duplicate them and open them. :tongue:

I have a bit of a unopened collection but is due to a lack of space like KimT. :classic:

>snip<

Hey, Mutley, did I mention that your avvie looks very nice today? :sweet:

I never understood the notion to keep sets MISB either, but then again, I'm not a collector. I only buy the sets I want (and can afford) and when I have them, I will want to build and play and have fun with them.

I'm a collector, and I get as many different sets that I can afford. But I never keep them in the box because it's pointless to me. Collecting, to me, is displaying all of your sets, not keeping them sealed and stored away so that they can be worth something in the future. :classic:

Also, I don't toss the boxes until a few months after I open the sets or the next time I get new sets, so that the area under my bed doesn't get too messy. I know this sounds weird, but I like to touch and smell that Lego freshness from the box until it's all gone.

What? Nobody else does this? :tongue:

, and I get as many different sets that I can afford. But I never keep them in the box because it's pointless to me. Collecting, to me, is displaying all of your sets, not keeping them sealed and stored away so that they can be worth something in the future. :classic:

It's not about making a profit. It's about having the set sealed. People don't keep sets sealed to make money they keep sets sealed so they have sealed sets. At least thats how it is for me. :classic:

I also don't have anymore open shelving space left for opened sets :hmpf_bad:

While I do collect Transformers to keep MISB, I'd say the nature of Lego makes it almost impossible to do so. At the end of the day the contents of those MISB boxes are nothing but relatively cheaply replaceable bricks, pieces and stickers (unlike Transformers and other premolded toys).

The only reason why I do have quite a lot of large MISB Lego SW boxes is a lack of shelve space and a lack of time to build it all. Besides that, I do sometimes buy doubles on sale which stay MISB, mostly for the same reasons.

At the moment I have about 20 MISB sets, including UCS DS II, USC Millenium Falcon, Sandcrawler, 6211 ISD, Republic Dropship, X-Wing, TIE Crawler, 7657 AT-ST and a couple of Indiana Jones sets

The one I truly enjoy most having MISB, however, is the 7419 Dragon Fortress. I'll probably keep that one MISB...

Well i have alot more opened sets than sealed ones but i don't like to break a set. This means that all my MOCing is done with non star wars sets and lots and lots of BL orders. :sweet:

I know exactly how you feel.

Not that I do much MOCing right now.

All my Star Wars sets are kept together in ziplock bags... wouldn't want them to get mixed with the regular bricks :laugh:

I'm a collector but most of all a Star Wars Fan, that means that I -at least- open, build and display one of each released set I buy.

I have a few doubles that I still keep MISB, but thats really minor.

What I dont understand is that people are saying they're not building a set because it would take up much more space than the sealed box.

I mean those boxes do take up a lot of space. I remember discussions and complaints in other topics about how the set boxes almost always have few bricks but lots of air, and why TLC releases these "too big" boxes. Maybe someone can explain this?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

I've been collecting lego star wars for a while and I have kept a few of my sets sealed. I enjoy opening and building sets but there is something special about having a sealed one. I keep only a few of my sets sealed though because I don't have very good will power. :grin:

I was wondering if anyone else was able to keep some of their sets sealed. So far this is what I have...

img_3549.jpg

Do you keep your sets opened, sealed or both? For me its both :classic:

Aww, just look at that Slave 1. Ready to be played with :cry_happy:

As soon as I get my sets I rip into em :tongue:

I'm a collector, and I get as many different sets that I can afford. But I never keep them in the box because it's pointless to me. Collecting, to me, is displaying all of your sets, not keeping them sealed and stored away so that they can be worth something in the future. :classic:

And that's your personal preferance not fact.

Everyone does with their LEGO what pleases them, and that's all that matters.

I have read all trough this thread and decided to voice my opinion:

I NEVER keep sets MISB. That is mostly due to my constant lack of money and space which prevents multiple buying for pretty much anything but battle packs.

I do keep boxes, though flattened and the smaller ones stuffed into the larger ones to save room.

The only LSW set I haven`t opened so far is my chrome black Darth Vader, I just couldn`t make myself open that polybag.

If I manage to aquire another one, I might open one though but that is unlikely to actually happen. :cry_sad:

However I have long ago formulated the theory that if you have the money and the possibility to store them, you should buy at least three copies of each set:

-one to keep MISB (or more than that if you suspect value to rise in future)

-one to open, not build and just use the parts (only if these are useful)

-one to open, build and keep in original condition, unchanged on display

-and finally one to open, build, play with and modify if you wish to

But that is illusional. :tongue:

Aww, just look at that Slave 1. Ready to be played with :cry_happy:

As soon as I get my sets I rip into em :tongue:

I got that Slave 1 off of the classifieds for $50. The reason I bought it was because it is a co-pack/value pack with the desert skiff. I wouldn't recommend opening those.

Toys R Us just had a big sale and I got Ahsoka's Starfighter for $25. Another set to keep sealed. I couldn't keep the other 3 sets I bought sealed though. :grin:

Edited by Rocky

Opened and well played with. Keeping Lego sealed in a box is just wrong. Lego is meant to be handled and played with till well worn.

I've heard a lot of people say that you can't display sealed sets. My display looks rather well. I have a few opened sets around them but for the most part the sets are sealed. I''m making a very large moc diarama for my mos espa podrace. I am waiting for a few more pick a brick orders before I can finish it. Here is my display...

img_3596.jpg

I don't just keep my sealed sets in a closet.

I'll post more pictures in Panda's Home Display Topic.

Edited by Rocky

Well I am quite fond of my MISB minifig packs and I've not considered opening them.

Why would I?

I already have the figs, so opening them would destroy them and the joy of having them.

It's not about making a profit. It's about having the set sealed. People don't keep sets sealed to make money they keep sets sealed so they have sealed sets. At least thats how it is for me. :classic:

Yeah, you're right. I just can't stand keeping the set in a box if I'm not selling it. :tongue:

And that's your personal preferance not fact.

Everyone does with their LEGO what pleases them, and that's all that matters.

Er, yeah? I never said that it was a fact, on the contrary, I said that it was my personal preference. :sceptic:

Well I am quite fond of my MISB minifig packs and I've not considered opening them.

Why would I?

I already have the figs, so opening them would destroy them and the joy of having them.

Hmmm... I never thought about those that way before KimT. Dam! Now i wish i had a set of MISB minifig packs :laugh: .

Hmmm... I never thought about those that way before KimT. Dam! Now i wish i had a set of MISB minifig packs :laugh: .

I wouldn't reccomend opening figure packs. I opened my droid one but hey that is the least valuable one. I didn't lose to much. The sith pack sure did go up in value.

Another thing not to open would be co-packs/value packs it puts a huge dent in their value and they are a very nice collectors item to have sealed.

Suppose I could chime in on this one, even if I'm new to this site (and relatively new to colecting star wars Lego).

I'm sort of a loose collector, meaning that I open and build the stuff. I then set the sets up for display or store them safely. I would never take a set apart after building it. I suppose that is very collector-ish, since I'm really not after the play value. For me the collectablity factor is closely related to keeping sets 100% intact and complete.

The colletor in me would like to have stuff mint in seald box too. Actually I feel some of the authenticity of these sets in terms of them being a collectability is lost the moment they are opened. So to some extent I feel I am destroying something by opeinig the sets (as perverted as that might sound - after all it is a toy).

But colleting MISB too would mean buying two of everything, and that is simply something I can't afford given the Danish prices. Besides I collect ot ther toy lines so my Lego budget is limited. And I'm not ready to give up hasbro colleting in order to buy doubles of star wars Lego.

I suppose each to their own but personally if i buy a chocolate i buy it to eat it and not to look at it. The same with Lego, i buy it to enjoy the product and not the box, so i open th straight away, enjoy building the set and displaying it and the minifigures. In the end though most of the time i sell the sets and just keep the minifigs that i want. I only keep landmark sets. But on the other hand i can also understand the reasoning behind the more 'hardcore' collectors keeping the sets in box unopened. So as they say 'whatever turns you on' really.

The colletor in me would like to have stuff mint in seald box too. Actually I feel some of the authenticity of these sets in terms of them being a collectability is lost the moment they are opened. So to some extent I feel I am destroying something by opeinig the sets (as perverted as that might sound - after all it is a toy).

The only thing lost is the retail value that they would have in the future amongst collectors :wink: