starstreak

Review: 8448 Super Street Sensation

You are right!

He worked at TLC and designed several technic models. (For instance the cherry picker)

Cool, the cherry picker is a great model.

But then again what would you expect from a supercar?

My whishes for such a model are:

Fully RC,

Automatic gearbox,

High(er) speed,

and ofcourse:

CC-version,

dampend doors (no gullwings)

and so on, and so on....

I think it all will be just "whisfull thinking"....

Well I like that is has a gearbox but it is basically the one from the 8448 which has a few flaws, for instance, it cannot handle much tourque due to some gears being not quite close enough (which would be required if you wish to motorise it), it takes alot of the motors mechanical output power to function (resulting in much of the motors power being wasted, to a lesser extent the same problem with the CV joints in the hubs when being driven at an angle) and changing gears is not as smooth as it is in the 8880. Now please don't get me wrong this is a great MOC, however, with lego's capability to improve parts and design and produce totally new parts, I would expect a new supercar from lego to not have these problems.

Fully RC would be good (especially if powered by a motor with a high power output and high rpm)

Automatic gearbox would be good but i would also love a manual with a much smoother gearchange mechanism or a paddel shift gearbox.

I agree with you on the gull wing doors. What about those doors that open up and forwards?

But there are some unstoppable rumours on several LUGs and forums for a LEGO S@H Technic exclusive in 2010.

I know there is a disscusion on www.technicbricks.blogspot.com concerning the question of how much would we spend on a hugh (2500-3000+ peice) technic set (of anything, not just a supercar) and what would we like to see from it. Obviously what people would want to see from a 350+ euro set is much more than what we have discussed hear. It's well worth having a look (along with the rest of the site). But iv'e heard no rumours regaurding lego releaseing such a set or a supercar of any kind. Where did you hear these rumors?

After releasing the little Gallardo I am hoping for a technic set with the Murcielago. Dampened Doors just like the Enzo but much more supercar-like from the rest of the chassis. All wheel drive (just like the real Lambo), suspension and with more nice surprising functions that I can't even think of yet.

But then again what would you expect from a supercar?

My whishes for such a model are:

Fully RC,

Automatic gearbox,

High(er) speed,

and ofcourse:

CC-version,

dampend doors (no gullwings)

and so on, and so on....

I think it all will be just "whisfull thinking"....

An automatic transmission is what I would really like to see, even though most sports cars use manual ones. The other functions would be great but they have all been done before in previous super cars or other sets, while an automatic gearbox would be something genuinely new for Technic. :sweet:

I think doing this properly would require introducing new parts (in particular, a driving ring without the "catches" on the inside). I've tried various fanmade gearboxes posted on Brickshelf and they are all somewhat unreliable. Sariel's two-speed box is probably the best of them, but even that is prone to locking up if not run at exactly the right speed.

An automatic transmission is what I would really like to see, even though most sports cars use manual ones. The other functions would be great but they have all been done before in previous super cars or other sets, while an automatic gearbox would be something genuinely new for Technic. :sweet:

Yes it would be very cool to have an automatic. What if lego did it in a family saloon or something. Cant be more boring than the endless tractors they keep coming out with!

I think doing this properly would require introducing new parts (in particular, a driving ring without the "catches" on the inside).

If I understand you correctly you can achive something similar by using the newer style axle connector http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6538c as it does not have any ridges.

If I understand you correctly you can achive something similar by using the newer style axle connector http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6538c as it does not have any ridges.

I actually tried out exactly this a few months ago, but it turns out that the new axle connectors are marginally thicker than the old ones were. The driving rings don't slide over them completely freely.

If a piece like the usual gray bushing existed, but with the cross-shaped lip on both sides, that might do the job as well.

Where did you hear these rumours?

Last febuary i went to a Lego gathering in The Netherlands. When i asked their ambassador about a new SuperCar; he wouldn't answer any of those questions. Later on i talked to Nathanael and he said to me: "You know I can't answer those questions......." Political answers like these makes me wonder even more! (A simple "NO" would have stopped the discussion/expectations) :tongue:

"The big exclusive from S@H/supercar" as discussed on TechnicBricks is only feeding those romours.

Well, lets wait and see!

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Last febuary i went to a Lego gathering in The Netherlands. When i asked their ambassador about a new SuperCar; he wouldn't answer any of those questions. Later on i talked to Nathanael and he said to me: "You know I can't answer those questions......." Political answers like these makes me wonder even more! (A simple "NO" would have stopped the discussion/expectations) :tongue:

"The big exclusive from S@H/supercar" as discussed on TechnicBricks is only feeding those romours.

Well, lets wait and see!

If there was before set 8297 ambassador can think this set not supercar like 8880.

Nathaniel can think his own MOC presented at the end of the year, not supercar for lego.

Or everything are else...SuperCar must be designed long time before...Maybe in 2010 there will be truly supercar, not car like enzo or fiorano.We must be prepared for the worst :classic:

i cant wait if this is true, i loved the review and i am looking at buying another 8448 as i love the model so much, check out my signature for my modded one, im going to clean it up alot soon and make it look more professional :D, but again mate, well done, looks great :D

p.s. is there anywhere to get the instructions for this model still? as i have misplaced mine :(

my first LEGO Technic model I have ever had, I have sold many of the old LEGOs, but that one and the Silver Champion are still in my Hands ;-)