10194 Emerald Night  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

NewBatteryGuy posted this YouTube video on how to use a regular 9V battery with the Power Functions components to power the 10194 Emerald Night.

He's laying it on a bit thick. It's more of a replacement for the standard battery box; I strongly doubt it'll compare to the performance of the (discontinued?) lithium. Even so I might make my own adapter and try it out! :laugh: For Australians that battery was $99.99 without the charger, so I gave it a miss.

The EN is advertised in the back of the Maersk train instructions, so I guess it will still be available for some time. (Though that may be just as long as the first batch of printed instructions lasts...)

Thanks for the review!

I've almost bought this set on a few occasions over the past couple years, but didn't. Afraid I couldn't afford to get into Lego trains... which is probably true. Oddly enough it was the new Maersk train that finally changed my mind. I've loved trains since I was little, and once that switch flipped, I knew I had to get the Emerald Night. This review help convince me of that. My only fear was that I wouldn't make it to the Lego store in time... after all this train has been available since April of 09... that's a pretty decent lifespan... who knows how much longer it'll last. But I got it this past Saturday... the Lego store still had quite a few in stock, so I'm very thankful I didn't miss this. And wow is it impressive in real life. A gorgeous engine. Quite heavy too. I don't think I realized how large it really is just looking at the pictures. But I guess I don't have anything to compare it to either (yet...haven't built the Maersk which I also got). Now I just need some track and the power functions... what a great start to Lego trains! I can't believe it took me so long to buy this set!

I recently built this set and seem to have two extra train wheels: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=55423. However when looking at the Emerald Night inventory, http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=10194-1, the set includes only six of these train wheels versus the eight I received. Has anyone else received a set with extra train wheels?

Yep, mine included two extra wheels as well... I'm not complaining, but it is curious...

Edited by domboy

I'm really tempted by this set - it is lovely. My only concern is that I would like to have an extra passenger car or two, it just looks too short with only one. Where is best to try and get the parts and how easy are they to come by?

I'm really tempted by this set - it is lovely. My only concern is that I would like to have an extra passenger car or two, it just looks too short with only one. Where is best to try and get the parts and how easy are they to come by?

you sometimes see whole coaches on ebay.

Got mine today (probably the last day it is available?) And I was not dissapointed! One of the all-time best sets of Lego! :laugh:

What makes you think that? I wonder when the production will end?

Edited by Macoco

:sad: Sad to have missed this one, but hopefully Lego shop still has one on the shelf this weekend.

I don't think you will find it in any Lego Stores