Sign in to follow this  
Sting

Castle/Fortress Builders Needed!

Hello Castle and Fortress (actually... any building heheh) MOC'ers... I am currently building a semi large Imperial Fortress/Port... and for one of the buildings I am having trouble figuring out a way too allow access inside the rooms. Because this paticular building cannot have an open back(like most Official Lego sets have), I need a way to have access to the rooms. The building is about the size of the Rivermans Forest Fortress (6077) and has quite a few of the Flat Castle wall pieces. (Part ID: 4444 on Bricklink)... It will have 3 or 4 stories.

My question? How can I have access to the rooms? Any one give me some examples?

Thanks.

Hello Castle and Fortress (actually... any building heheh) MOC'ers... I am currently building a semi large Imperial Fortress/Port... and for one of the buildings I am having trouble figuring out a way too allow access inside the rooms. Because this paticular building cannot have an open back(like most Official Lego sets have), I need a way to have access to the rooms. The building is about the size of the Rivermans Forest Fortress (6077) and has quite a few of the Flat Castle wall pieces. (Part ID: 4444 on Bricklink)... It will have 3 or 4 stories.

My question? How can I have access to the rooms? Any one give me some examples?

Thanks.

hm... can you give us a drawing or so? so we can see where this room is?

my first thought would be to use tiles that would allow you to take off the entire structure that is above it...

Every storey should be removable, so on the top of each wall under the next floor should be mostly tiles and just some studs to prevent the house from falling apart. And each storey should be a module, a construction that can be removed from the building and exist on its own.

This is an idea I am considering and may work very well with the design. You know... maybe I'll take some pictures of it... although it may be slightly(okay...very) stupid looking because it has lots of miscolored pieces because I am missing pieces in White and Yellow... so I am using black/grey pieces for now to see what I WILL need... and then I make a big order off Bricklink :-D .

Any other ideas?

What also helps is to put a ring of 1xX plates two studs in, on the bottom of the floor above, so that they stories all stay in place and can't just slide off

I am currently building a semi large Imperial Fortress/Port...

Is this Imperial as in blue coat/red coat Imperial?

What also helps is to put a ring of 1xX plates two studs in, on the bottom of the floor above, so that they stories all stay in place and can't just slide off

Could you give me an example of this?

Could you give me an example of this?

Gah, I wish I knew how to, I'm not that good at ASCii...

well, I'll give it a try

|._____________..|

|.|........................|.|

|.|____________|.|

|______________.|

So say the larger rectangle is the floor of the second story, the inner rectangle would be made of, say, 1x4 plates on the bottom of the second-story floor. Then, the top of the wall (covered in smooth plates of course!) could rest in the space between the larger and smaller rectangles. It actually results in a nice and snug fit that keeps the stories perfectly aligned, and sturdy. I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well, tell me if you understood that, and if you didn't I'll try a different way (I'm not that good at explaining things :/

Is it suppose to be a consistent wide like this:

.________________

|._____________ .|

|.|............|.|

|.|............|.|

|.|............|.|

|.|____________|.|

|.______________.|

Every storey should be removable, so on the top of each wall under the next floor should be mostly tiles and just some studs to prevent the house from falling apart. And each storey should be a module, a construction that can be removed from the building and exist on its own.

Tiles and jumper bricks...that'd be a good way to go. That way the different levels would still stick together, but be easily removable. nuts.GIF

Is it suppose to be a consistent wide like this:

.________________

|._____________ .|

|.|............|.|

|.|............|.|

|.|............|.|

|.|____________|.|

|.______________.|

Ah, thanks Mr. Phes. The method works well to keep the thing snug, stable, and yet easy to separate if I want

The cc link is great... I used hinged opening, removable rooms, and removable roofs in Cliffton (see the link below). If you look around you can see how most of the buildings were done.

God Bless,

Nathan

The method works well to keep the thing snug, stable, and yet easy to separate if I want

It sounds great and it actually doesn't require putting tiles on the whole upper surface of the wall since it is not seen anyway. And putting tiles only in some places prevents the upper floor from sticking firmly to the lower one as the studs won't reach the holes anyway.

Keep the ideas comin! Im still figuring out the lower foundation so im stuck with that for a while!

Keep the ideas comin! Im still figuring out the lower foundation so im stuck with that for a while!

Make sure some scenery goes in at the bottom level...

God Bless,

Nathan

Don't forget to install a dungeon. Dungeons are very good things to have in fortresses...

Particularly important if you want to attract that spanish buyer ;)

God Bless,

Nathan

If you wanted to be attracting Spanish buyers, then it is also recommended that you install a torture chamber. We only use those for interrogation purposes of course...

Make sure some scenery goes in at the bottom level...

God Bless,

Nathan

I would like to! But unfortunately this is a seaside fortress and with the baseplates I am using... adding scenery would be impossible as i have little room to do so!

I would like to! But unfortunately this is a seaside fortress and with the baseplates I am using... adding scenery would be impossible as i have little room to do so!

Scenery is all the more neccessary at the sea side... cliffs!

God Bless,

Nathan

Scenery is also expsensive - should imagine, having not built any MOCs I haven't had to contend with secenery before, but these recent threads have given me something to ponder for my future MOCs.