Brickaholic

Eurobricks Community Build-Lego County

Basilicus and Teddy, you are having the same discussion in two topics. Please try to keep it to one topic, otherwise we will have a splintered discussion and people will go nuts trying to follow it.

If that is the case would it not make more sense to merge the two topics into one? That would make it easier to follow IMO as at the moment we are discussing the same topic (i.e. the community build) in two threads. We could have the poll with the sidewalk standard thread where everyone can ask whatever questions they like as at the moment it's not exactly clear which questions should be asked in which thread!

Just a thought? :classic:

If that is the case would it not make more sense to merge the two topics into one? That would make it easier to follow IMO as at the moment we are discussing the same topic (i.e. the community build) in two threads. We could have the poll with the sidewalk standard thread where everyone can ask whatever questions they like as at the moment it's not exactly clear which questions should be asked in which thread!

Just a thought? :classic:

Perhaps, but we would lose the poll. We started the poll too long after this topic was started...

May I suggest that we get a basic style map with all of the zones in it and discuss what we could change about it. In my own opinion that would be the best way to get a map done.

In the meantime, let's define these zones a little more clearly, so we can have a solid standard in the first post.

That's the way! Hinck, you have pinned down the essence of our very next step. Defining what to have in each zones is the next step to go. We should do this in a step by step manner, by accomplishing our objective for various primary zones. For example, let's discuss about what kind of Residential buildings/apartments we should have for our Residential zone, and discussing subsequent ones as well. In this way, we can capture the key data and reflect it into the first post effectively.

Personally, I think the second topic is to ensure the standards of the physical look of the streets we will like, and what kind of format or platform we should be building on. From what I see, there is no direct conflict of interest, perhaps it's a little indirect, but as long we keep the preliminary findings and implement into this main topic, I don't see a point by merging them together.

Perhaps, but we would lose the poll. We started the poll too long after this topic was started...

The poll is important, and the results are crucial in basic town planning evaulation.

May I suggest that we get a basic style map with all of the zones in it and discuss what we could change about it. In my own opinion that would be the best way to get a map done.

I have suggested to lay down the primary zones, and under each primary zones, we will list down the potential building structure that comes along with it. In this way, we are able to associate and identify clearly by knowing what are the exact modules and size we are looking at, before we arrange them into exact blueprint. The list can be comprehensive, and can be expanded for future upgrading. Therefore, let's throw in the essential basic elements for each primary zone. In this way, we are going to have some constructive progress before more of us are thrown into the whirlpool.

just wondering i know zone 1 is taken AgentRick57 (darn :angry::cry_sad: ) could i make signalbox :grin: ? at the 16x16 scale or a bit less

also can i build it on ldd or does it have to be brick built ???

cb

ps if the station is not can i make it???? please

just wondering i know zone 1 is taken AgentRick57 (darn :angry::cry_sad: ) could i make signalbox :grin: ? at the 16x16 scale or a bit less

also can i build it on ldd or does it have to be brick built ???

cb

ps if the station is not can i make it???? please

I believe it has to be brick built and not revolved around LDD. Zone 1 could be further enhance for more upgrading. I am not very sure if we are firm with the current zone settings. Meanwhile, you could express interest and contribute your ideas/views accordingly.

On a total unrelated note, what is the meaning of that acroymn "cb" supposed to meant? And, please don't type your post in a chit chat fashion manner. Thanks.

Basilicus and Teddy, you are having the same discussion in two topics. Please try to keep it to one topic, otherwise we will have a splintered discussion and people will go nuts trying to follow it.

That being said, if anyone wants to discuss building completely separate modules (which is the point, that's the only way we could do this) or SNOT roads (which, IMO, wouldn't work) please see the other topic. Thank you.

In the meantime, let's define these zones a little more clearly, so we can have a solid standard in the first post.

Dear Hinkley,

I was only remarking upon previous posts in the other topic and trying to get some clearity. It was not clear in that discussion if the pavement is part of the building module or a road module. I suggested we should come to some consensus. To avoid confussion.

Please read my reply in the other topic.

I double posted in the two topics to keep the discussion evolving in the same direction in both topics and to prevent people from going nuts. I dont have the power to merge topics.

Kind regards,

Teddy

<edit: please reply in the other topic regarding the roads and pavement.

for clearity I put this picture in that topic to let you see what I'm talking about>

building1jpg.jpg

Edited by Teddy

From what I have gathered from reading the previous post is that every person is going to have his own zone where he builds all of the buildings in it; Is that right?

I believe it has to be brick built and not revolved around LDD. Zone 1 could be further enhance for more upgrading. I am not very sure if we are firm with the current zone settings. Meanwhile, you could express interest and contribute your ideas/views accordingly.

On a total unrelated note, what is the meaning of that acroymn "cb" supposed to meant? And, please don't type your post in a chit chat fashion manner. Thanks.

first thanks white fange i did have some good models but i guess you are right.

and on th unrelated note "cb" stands for crabboy

From what I have gathered from reading the previous post is that every person is going to have his own zone where he builds all of the buildings in it; Is that right?

My own understanding is that we will define what sort of buildings to be built in a "zone". For example, if Zone 1 is residential then there will be certain types of buildings allowed (e.g. it may be only appartment style buildings on a 16x16 base). However, there could be multiple residential zones for appartments, suburbia, old folks homes etc. This would then apply to industrial, commericial and civic areas.

If someone could confirm this that would be great. Thanks! :thumbup:

I would really like to participate in this, but I would need to see some clearer rules. Right now they're too vague. Is any form of a map being drawn up? Maybe wait until the map is done, and label areas of it with the Zone numbers e.g. Town/City centre featuring a town hall could be Zone 9, or whatever.

5 wide sidewalks? What is that? Whats wrong with 6? A plate size readily available in many sets, which doesn't involve pieces like '1x_' tiles.

Like I said in the other topic, the tiles seem too much for me. Not nearly as many will participate when such pieces 'must' be used.

No, a zone is structure so that anyone can add to it as long as they follow that zone's guidelines.

I would really like to participate in this, but I would need to see some clearer rules. Right now they're too vague. Is any form of a map being drawn up? Maybe wait until the map is done, and label areas of it with the Zone numbers e.g. Town/City centre featuring a town hall could be Zone 9, or whatever.

5 wide sidewalks? What is that? Whats wrong with 6? A plate size readily available in many sets, which doesn't involve pieces like '1x_' tiles.

Like I said in the other topic, the tiles seem too much for me. Not nearly as many will participate when such pieces 'must' be used.

Ugh, I'll work on clarifying the zones and putting a solid definition of this project in the first post. I agree that it is too loose right now.

Teddy and Basilicus I still and always have loved you! :sweet:

I'm all sorts of game! I'm up for building one or more buildings for this, once we've got some clear guidelines etc.

I'll let you guys argue about the rules and the tiles or plates, width of sidewalks, what kind of modules. I'm up for anything, really. I'll see when something concrete is decided and chip in with what kind of buildings I would like to make. I'm looking forward to that already :)

AgentRick57, are you doing a station?

Sure! I just need to figure out a good idea on how to build it (Modern or Classical, Colors, Interior/Anterior) and I'm good. I could go for a good group project right about now.

Teddy and Basilicus I still and always have loved you! :sweet:

Ha! It's mutual :wink:

I'm all sorts of game! I'm up for building one or more buildings for this, once we've got some clear guidelines etc.

I'll let you guys argue about the rules and the tiles or plates, width of sidewalks, what kind of modules. I'm up for anything, really. I'll see when something concrete is decided and chip in with what kind of buildings I would like to make. I'm looking forward to that already :)

This post pretty much sums up my feelings. Although I've contributed to the discussion already I am pretty easy to be honest, which makes the first part of this post even more notable... :laugh:

No, a zone is structure so that anyone can add to it as long as they follow that zone's guidelines.

Ugh, I'll work on clarifying the zones and putting a solid definition of this project in the first post. I agree that it is too loose right now.

Thrash said in his post he would make a map. I will work on one now. You are exactly right Hinckley, anyone may add to the zones.

Edited by Brickaholic

A question which needs further clarification: what IS meant by "business only" anyway? Is the Green Grocer a "business only" building per se?

The reason I'm asking is because I would have liked our florist's store to be situated on the first floor of a 2-story building with the 2nd floor being occupied by some residents (I 've got quite a few plans and ideas about that). Quite frankly, I can't even begin to imagine a 2-story florist's store... So I do think we need to remove the "only" part of the above definition - because at the end of the day most buildings are likely to be meant for dual (commercial + residential) purposes rather than just fall into one specific category.

Oh, and 2 story structures could consist of two storys PLUS a garret integrated right under the roof, right? :grin:

That is usually referred to as "Zoned: Commercial" in the States. A property is either zoned residential, or commercial. Buildings with a business on the ground floor usually rents the spaces above as apartments or sells them as condos. I would leave these in the commercial disctrict as any height building can end up this way.

Depending on whether we will have any deadlines associated with this Community Build and how far in time those get stretched, I could also chip in with another Town MOC I've been planning on building - a motorcycle accessory store & bikers' bar (2 businesses in 1 building). I am still unsure as to whether it will be a Zone 2 (16 x 16) or Zone 3 (16 x 32) structure; one thing's for sure though - this one will definitely NOT feature any residential apartments, so I don't believe it will be higher than 2 stories. Furthermore, to accommodate the needs of bikers, I believe I will have to integrate a small parking lot of sorts where a few motorcycles could be parked - would it be OK if the pavement ends halfway and is then substituted by the parking lot?

P.S.: Hinckley, thanks for the clarification mate, that's exactly what I had in mind. Good thing to know it's a believable concept on either side of the pond :laugh:

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

Thrash said in his post he would make a map. I will work on one now.

Is this map going to define the limits of number of buildings in each zone? Will there be a set limit or will it depend on how many people wish to contribute to each zone?

...of a 2-story building...

Just out of curiosity, how high will each storey be? Is there a limit or does it depend on the style of building (within reason)? For example, in my experience older style colonial buildings tend to have high ceilings whereas modern houses don't have such excess.

Just out of curiosity, how high will each storey be? Is there a limit or does it depend on the style of building (within reason)? For example, in my experience older style colonial buildings tend to have high ceilings whereas modern houses don't have such excess.

That's a very good point you're making there mate... Especially bearing in mind that last thing I said about the motorcycle store + bar building, which would most probably be max 2 stories high. However it's really hard to actually define those two stories at this moment before actually building it, since the shop might also feature a section with a noticably higher roof in which bikes would be showcased - that is, if I decide that the they will sell bikes as well as accessories & clothing. I do hope this would not be a problem and to be quite honest, I think that smaller buildings (our florist's store and the bikers' spot) would still look realistic no matter how tall/short they're built - but the height of stories could really become an issue with taller buildings.

Perhaps we should come up with an additional rule regarding the maximum height of structures, depending on which Zone they're in. I think that would make for a better-looking concept rather than just defining a maximum height of separate stories.

First post fixed wih brick maximums for each Zone. I hope that is what everyone wants! :classic:

The parking lot is good with me Asya & Bobby Otters. :wink:

EDIT: I made a new map, but I have to wait for it to be moderated. :sceptic:

Edited by Brickaholic

Perhaps we should come up with an additional rule regarding the maximum height of structures, depending on which Zone they're in. I think that would make for a better-looking concept rather than just defining a maximum height of separate stories.

I never thought of that, but this is a great idea. :thumbup:

First post fixed wih brick maximums for each Zone. I hope that is what everyone wants! :classic:

Looks good mate, well done! :classic:

Thrash said in his post he would make a map. I will work on one now. You are exactly right Hinckley, anyone may add to the zones.

Indeed I did. Before we do a map though, I think that we should come up roughly with what buildings we want in each zone, or at least how many in each zone.

Also, I'm worried that the 64x64 and 20 stories high might be WAY too big. Perhaps for the giant buildings, we could cut them up into pieces and have a standard for the outer wall so that they can stack on top of eachother. Heck, for a 64x64 base that's 20 stories high, we could have about 12 shops on the bottom floor that are two stories high, and then have either offices or apartments on top, or even both. We could split the remaining 18 stories up and let 18 different builders design office space or apartments on each floor.

That's 30 modules right there if you want to go that route. Maybe I just don't have as many bricks as anyone else, but I kind of doubt that anyone is going to want to build a 64x64 20 story high module...

How does everyone feel about this?

~Thrash