Brickaholic

Eurobricks Community Build-Lego County

Hinckley's doing the poll for us. I think we should stick to baseplates with the sidewalks... The TIP MOCs use a lot of bricks, which some of us, not me, do not have. We'll see with the poll... :wink:

I definitely say that we use Cafe Corner Style Buildings and Snotted roads. I would love to build something.

Edited by Legoman31

Perhaps one zone could hold the train yards... and we could build an outside track ballast for our train friends. Towns need trains, I think!

Perhaps one zone could hold the train yards... and we could build an outside track ballast for our train friends. Towns need trains, I think!

I'm not so sure we can trust your thoughts, considering you got hit in the head with a 2x4 :tongue::hmpf:

This sounds like a great idea to do a town community build too...the castle one has been a lot of fun (and hopefully will pick up a bit near the end of the contest!).

If you guys are interested, I would be willing to help with a layout since that's been one of the main things I've been doing with the EBCCB. I'll probably contribute a few modules as well...

~Thrash

Zone 1--32x32 with a maximum height of 3 storys. Railways Only.

Zone 2--16x16 with a maximum height of 2 storys. Business Only.

Zone 3--16x32 with a maximum height of 3 storys. Business Only.

Zone 4--32x32 with a maximum height of 5 storys. Business Only.

Zone 5--64x64 with a maximum height of 20 storys. Business Only.

Zone 6--32x32 with a maximum height of 3 storys. Residential Only.

Zone 7--16x32 with a maximum height of 2 storys. Residential Only.

Zone 8--16x32 with a maximum height of 2 storys. Government Only.

Zone 9--32x32 with a maximum height of 4 storys. Government Only.

Zone 10--64x64 with a maximum height of 20 storys. Governmet Only.

That's it for now! Please post with what you will make because we don't want two people making the same thing! :pirate:

Why don't you give us a run down on all the zoning and sizing? :wink:

That would really be useful. At least it'll give people who are ready to start building some basic reference. We've ordered a few flower-specific (a.k.a. girly - yet rare & fun ;) ) pieces off Bricklink, so I guess we'll get started once they arrive.

Now, I know we've already chipped in for that florist's building, however I have a few considerations I'd like to point out... As previously stated, not all of the Eurobricks Town members possess hundreds and hundreds of bricks in different colours. As is the case with the two of us, having only recently joined the ranks of the AFOLs, we can't really get too picky about using fancy colours on our MOCs - yellowed ex-white, white, yellow, red, grey and black are basically the colours we're most likely to use in an MOC and that's not because we're so fond of them - it's just that we still haven't gotten our paws on the Modular factory sets... and until we do, ordering bricks from Bricklink is not really a viable solution for that problem. I guess you can also imagine that tiles come few and far between in the collections of other "recent" AFOLs such as ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I reckon that using tiles to build sidewalks would be fine for us, bearing in mind we're only doing a 16x16 structure, however if somebody wants to build a bigger house, they would still have to use tiles for the pavement in front of it - and what if they don't have enough?

I know that by saying all of this I may potentially sound stupid to guys who are sure to have tons of fun building an elaborate structure while using the most intricate designs they can conceive... So it's just a consideration, don't think of it as whining or anything negative - at the end of the day, I think we should all make sure we make this a fun experience for all of us. Let's lay down some basic rules & guidelines, but other than that I believe that those who are willing to take part should be able to use their creativity as to how they could make the bricks at their disposal work best for their respective project.

/rant over/

P.S.: Just noticed the zoning info was already posted. Thanks for that mate ;)

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

These are the only rules:

Pick a zone.

When you build a sidewalk, it must be 5 wide.

The sidewalk must be dark gray.

Colors do not matter

I think that should be it, don't you guys? :look:

These are the only rules:

Pick a zone.

When you build a sidewalk, it must be 5 wide.

The sidewalk must be dark gray.

Colors do not matter

I think that should be it, don't you guys? :look:

So we are not using the Cafe Corner style because The CCS has 7 wide Juckfozzers.

By Dark Gray do you mean Dark Blueish Gray or Dark Gray

Also, are we going to have a light gray/blay stripe in front (curb)? Thanks for the zoning info by the way.

AgentRick57, are you doing a station?

So we are not using the Cafe Corner style because The CCS has 7 wide Juckfozzers.

By Dark Gray do you mean Dark Blueish Gray or Dark Gray

No. Dark Gray.

Also, are we going to have a light gray/blay stripe in front (curb)? Thanks for the zoning info by the way.

Your welcome. Negative.

Zone 1--32x32 with a maximum height of 3 storys. Railways Only.

Zone 2--16x16 with a maximum height of 2 storys. Business Only.

Zone 3--16x32 with a maximum height of 3 storys. Business Only.

Zone 4--32x32 with a maximum height of 5 storys. Business Only.

Zone 5--64x64 with a maximum height of 20 storys. Business Only.

Zone 6--32x32 with a maximum height of 3 storys. Residential Only.

Zone 7--16x32 with a maximum height of 2 storys. Residential Only.

Zone 8--16x32 with a maximum height of 2 storys. Government Only.

Zone 9--32x32 with a maximum height of 4 storys. Government Only.

Zone 10--64x64 with a maximum height of 20 storys. Governmet Only.

That's it for now! Please post with what you will make because we don't want two people making the same thing! :pirate:

Brickaholic, can you help to define these 10 zones in a much clearer approach? I don't really get your intentions. I will like to see general rules and common understanding are established by those interested members whom are keen in this project to iron out the nifty details that we have talked for the past few days. As much as I could, I strongly encourage that such projects like this required a high amount of coordination and detail which should be planned and discuss by the builders and particpants. This is the right time for all of us to discuss and set things straight before procceding to the right direction.

This is my suggestion, for background familarisation practice.

For building categories, I will encourage primary zoning to be conducted into 3 primary aspects which are mainly Residental, Commerial,and Industrial zones for preliminary town growth. These are the main pillars in a country. The government which mainly reflect as the authority of the City or Town and we can focus on by highlighting the respective Ministry. For example, Ministry of Transport. We can discuss about various modes of transport such as Land, Air and Sea. Each category itself, served as a top down approach, similar to funneling process.

What I am suggesting here is, let's get our modules or zones right before all of us are confused with loads of information. Let's focus on building the basic infrastructure.

Did you remember? Rome was not built overnight. It takes time to set things straight and careful town planning is required to ensure all zones are adequately taken care of to prevent excessive resources flowing around. Share your thoughts with one another, and express interest by contributing your insights and thoughts to the entire Community Build.

The only issue I can see with the "zoning" areas is if we use baseplates then they have to be well co-ordinated so they all match up (i.e. depending on how many exits there are on the road baseplate). We also need to define how high a storey is.

I think we should relax the use of only dark grey tiles for the pavement and use dark bley as well. I think by narrowing the focus and including more rules (clearly there has to be some rules - but hopefully you understand where I am coming from) we are excluding those who can't meet these requirements.

It's certainly and interesting project and one I'd be keen to participate in! :thumbup:

Dear all,

personally I think planning a larger layout will be easier if we would introduce a standard road module including pavement/sidewalks/foothpath/aussi-something...

This way we could allow a bit more flexibility in the use of the room for the buildinds on the 16 x 16 and 32 x 32 rooms on which to build them.

Without the need to use up additional space for the pavement/sidewalks/footh....

And allowing people to enter without them needing to make a pavement.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Something I put in the Poll topic.

But since the discussion is running allong in two topics I'll post a copy here.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dear all,

I have another more practical question:

- If we are going to use SNOT roads, which will at least be one stud high this requires the entrances of the buildings to be raised.

- If we would make SNOT roads 2 studs thick the entrances need to raise to at least 5 plates height.

Somehow I think we should find a consensus on this matter. Before we can start any construction.

Kind regards,

Teddy

<edit: If we use standard LEGO road plates this problem does not occur, in the sence that the door should be one plate heigh due to the pavement .

Question than is which LEGO roadplate would we use. They tend to be verry different. >

Edited by Teddy

I really like the idea of this, as I have commented on BH (my ID there is "Cuahchic"). I think doing it with people suggesting what they could build makes sense.

I am currently working on a large-scale "Space!" MOC, but I am hoping to finish this before the end of March. After this, I have a Town building planned so I could give you more indications of this closer to the time. But regardless of this, I'd like to take part!

SPACE! WTH!

One possible solution to people who don't have enough pieces to build the footpath is that the footpath outside their building could be in the process of being relaid or maybe water works are going on :D

If many people have a problem though it may look like Sarajevo circa 1993..

Edited by Calvin

SPACE! WTH!

Yes, I know... :tongue:

If many people have a problem though it may look like Sarajevo circa 1993..

LoL

I agree with previous comments about having buildings as self-contained modules (i.e. not overlapping onto road baseplates) as this would simplify things. I think the latter term is something to keep in mind here: I think we want to try and keep it simple and allow as many people to participate as possible.

We just need to agree on a standard and then all decide what buildings we will contribute! Looking forward to the MOCing! :thumbup:

Basilicus and Teddy, you are having the same discussion in two topics. Please try to keep it to one topic, otherwise we will have a splintered discussion and people will go nuts trying to follow it.

That being said, if anyone wants to discuss building completely separate modules (which is the point, that's the only way we could do this) or SNOT roads (which, IMO, wouldn't work) please see the other topic. Thank you.

In the meantime, let's define these zones a little more clearly, so we can have a solid standard in the first post.