Sign in to follow this  
Nannan

Opening your own Bricklink store

I hope some of you may find this bit of information useful. It outlines tips and strategies for builders to open their own Bricklink stores to fund the hobby.

link

Please let me know of any comments, questions, or suggestions.

-Nannan

Thanks for posting this Nannan. I just read it before coming back over here. I'd recommend it to people as it's worth reading and learning from.

Quite possibly the best LEGO essay I've ever read. As I was recently thinking about setting one up to sell off some sets and minifigs to make some money, this is very, very helpful! Thanks!

~AK-47

Very interesting and useful essay. I have thought about the subject from time to time.

I suspect it's not as profitable to attempt this outside of the US. Mind you, if only I was closer to the border here in Ireland, I could pick up a rake of UK sets with the weakness of £ compared to € (apparently some retailers in Northern Ireland are offering €1=£1 as an incentive to southern shoppers). Being in the UK itself one obviously wouldn't have the same advantage, as any wages from one's actual job would be in £. There is the disadvantage too of either being paid in dollars on bricklink, or putting customers off with one of those annoying arbitrary exchange rates.

I guess what would put me off this is that in essence it's no different to any other business venture, and I think you'd have to be some bit clued up to make a good thing of it. The tips on this essay seem very sensible, but I think you'd have to be rather able to adapt to circumstances and have a keen sense of business in the longer term.

One's time and effort is not free either, and there is some work involved in requisitioning sets, parting them, dealing with orders and dispatches, etc.

I suspect it's not as profitable to attempt this outside of the US.

true. outside the US prices are not very favourable to set up such a store. if you realise most sellers are US and most buyers are international. it just reflects the disparity in "official" retail prices.

Thanks for linking to that, I'll be sure to read it when I have more time.

Edited to remove stupid reply to a misread of previous post

... those who have a LEGO store nearby can often score good stuff at the pick-a-brick and make a pretty penny. I know a couple of folks who do this, and one or two whose LEGO hobby actually pays for itself using Bricklink. I also know some folks with good connections at resale shops that make a good deal reselling used brick.

I could make a killing putting the brick I get from resale on Bricklink, but I am not good at letting go of my minifigs and bricks, and after the hunt for chap brick, building, and my other hobbies, I jsut don't have the time to invest. Thus, I'll never break even, but overall, my LEGO hobby is remarkably inexpensive. See the topic in my sig for more info on that...

Edited by Eilif

true. outside the US prices are not very favourable to set up such a store. if you realise most sellers are US and most buyers are international. it just reflects the disparity in "official" retail prices.

How can you tell most buyers are international? Just anecdotal evidence, or is there some way to see this on BL?

How can you tell most buyers are international? Just anecdotal evidence, or is there some way to see this on BL?

I suppose from anecdotal experience. Seven out of ten orders that go through my store are international.

7 out of 10 orders in my store are from the USA.

It is an interesting article for sure but I recommend everyone think about the time and effort involved. It is not just a few minutes and like the post says this works best with minifigures. Parts work as well but require even more time and effort.

If you have SW figures you don't want though, sell them by all means.

Sign in to follow this