Cool video. Although it's strange that they specifically point out the outriggers, which are probably the weakest aspect of the model. :tongue: I plan to get this and other sets at the Brickfair event in a month, as the Lego store there usually has big discounts at that time.

On a side note, it might actually be possible to motorize the crane winch, despite what I said earlier. In principle, whenever you have two independent functions, you can get an unlimited number of functions out of them by having one geartrain act as a switch to change what the other one does, similar to the mechanism used in 8082's forklift. The main challenge would be fitting the whole thing into a small space on top of the turntable, but it might make an interesting mod project for that model.

I'd definetly be interested in seeing the winch motorised, it's a shame it isn't. Actually, after the awesome Bulldozer with full remote control everything else doesn't seem quite as cool or feature full.

Edited by tomacwhite

I'd definetly be interested in seeing the winch motorised, it's a shame it isn't. Actually, after the awesome Bulldozer with full remote control everything else doesn't seem quite as cool or feature full.

I really hope they re-release the Bulldozer or produce another set similar in features to it. The bulldozer you get:-

2 nos of IR sensors!

2 nos of XL motors!

2 nos of small motors!

With remote to boot!

The only other set with the remote, IR sensor, XL motor and small motor is the Creator Dino set, so a Technic set with overflowing IR sensors and motors is long due. (or Lego can just release an IR set with XL motors, I know you guys want dozens of those :vader: )

I really hope they re-release the Bulldozer or produce another set similar in features to it. The bulldozer you get:-

2 nos of IR sensors!

2 nos of XL motors!

2 nos of small motors!

With remote to boot!

The only other set with the remote, IR sensor, XL motor and small motor is the Creator Dino set, so a Technic set with overflowing IR sensors and motors is long due. (or Lego can just release an IR set with XL motors, I know you guys want dozens of those :vader: )

I think I am going to hunt one down before they vanish. Surely somewhere in the UK is still selling them..

I think I am going to hunt one down before they vanish. Surely somewhere in the UK is still selling them..

I'm sure you can still get them online from Argos. Definitely worth it, I really enjoy adding remote control to my other creations.

I found a 8258 review!! .. but not in English unfortunately. :hmpf_bad:

Cool! :wub:

He's rated it too high though. :devil:

The video is very well done... and it makes me want the set... :sing: but overall the set loses points for the un-motorised winch.

It does look cool, and its huge! However, the lack of motorized telescopic boom and winch on a £130.00 Technic set is a bit of a letdown.

That gearbox is mental though! Want! :)

Edited by tomacwhite

It does look cool, and its huge! However, the lack of motorized telescopic boom and winch on a £130.00 Technic set is a bit of a letdown.

That gearbox is mental though! Want! :)

I think by the time they have figured out how to make the whole LA boom work and rotate AND able to extend the outriggers, the gearhead in charge suffered a PHD (Permanent Head Damage) and will only be sane enough to work on the next Technic model. So Lego had no choice but to make do with the model as it is. Sounds plausible? :tongue:

If we want it fully automated, then it will have:-

3 LAs, one for the 1st boom, 1 for the 2nd boom, and 1 for the telescopic boom.

1 set of gears, pulleys and shafts to connect to the 3 LAs

1 set of gears to make the whole crane rotate

1 Pulley to drive winch

1 set of gears to deploy the outriggers

1 other set of gears to further deploy the outriggers

and 1 massive gearbox connected to a motor to motorized all the above :sick: Any sane person will go crazy just thinking about it!

But to me, definitely a must have!

Cannot wait for a review in English here.

Edited by paanjang16

Sounds plausible? :tongue:

It does! :laugh: Even so, if I was the designer I would have went for the winch over the outriggers; they aren't fully automatic anyway. As a guess, the line would have got twisted too much if it ran through the turntable and that's why it has a manual wind mounted on the arm.

1 set of gears to deploy the outriggers

1 other set of gears to further deploy the outriggers

These can be combined into a single function. The idea I had was to add a second set of extending bars below the existing ones, which move out at a slightly lower speed, and connect the outrigger ends to both bars. The differences in the bars' positions when they are extended would allow the outriggers to come down.

and 1 massive gearbox connected to a motor to motorized all the above :sick: Any sane person will go crazy just thinking about it!

Thinking about that makes me go more like :sweet: than :sick:. A new set that rivals the Space Shuttle in mechanical complexity would have been awesome, but this set has fallen a bit short of that mark.

It does! :laugh: Even so, if I was the designer I would have went for the winch over the outriggers; they aren't fully automatic anyway. As a guess, the line would have got twisted too much if it ran through the turntable and that's why it has a manual wind mounted on the arm.

They could have done it by having part of the transmission on the turntable, as I described earlier. I'm going to try to redesign the crane arm to incorporate that, once I get the set.

I always loved that space shuttle but never got it, and in fact I have never seen one. It looked like it had plastic tubes that lit up on the back, and a robot arm inside the shuttle. Was it quite a complex model? I have tried looking for videos but nothing really shows off the features too well.

Yes, it's arguably the most intricate Technic set TLG has made and has numerous geartrains going across the length of the model. Until now, it was the only set to use a 4-way transmission to have a motor perform 4 functions.

I found a 8258 review!! .. but not in English unfortunately. :hmpf_bad:

The reviewer's video on

Looking at the photos, the gearbox is insanely complicated :oh:

translate.google.com

it translates into readable information

There is already 2 axle through the turntable. So, a third one can't go trough anymore. Ans so, winch or telescoping can not be motorized.

There is already 2 axle through the turntable. So, a third one can't go trough anymore. Ans so, winch or telescoping can not be motorized.

See my earlier posts on this. It's possible to do it all with two axles.

Sorry, I have that truck but UPS delayed shipment and delivery date is Monday. So I'll be able to help answer some of your questions as I do that build for review.

See my earlier posts on this. It's possible to do it all with two axles.

But IMO it is not doable in the 8258 scale (with a nice design I mean).

And having the controls on the turret is not more fun than how the 8258 is. :/

The best would be to have all the controls on the truck. But that's not possible. :s

But IMO it is not doable in the 8258 scale (with a nice design I mean).

And having the controls on the turret is not more fun than how the 8258 is. :/

The best would be to have all the controls on the truck. But that's not possible. :s

You're probably right, but I'm going to try anyway. I always like the challenge of trying to cram functionality into a small place. :grin:

The manually operated outriggers are less excusable though, and those are what prevent this model from being a real classic for me. It wouldn't have been too hard to make those come down automatically if the chassis had been designed with it in mind. I'm going to try to add that in as well, but one problem with studless models in general is that they are hard to modify without making major structural changes to everything.

The manually operated outriggers are less excusable though, and those are what prevent this model from being a real classic for me. It wouldn't have been too hard to make those come down automatically if the chassis had been designed with it in mind.

It is easy to make full motorized outriggers if they are like 8421, or even 8460.

But those of the 8258 are very different : there is 2 different moves to make them down. Not to mention I have never seen (MOCs or official sets) a mechanism at the end of a telescopic part that can be controlled from the chassis. :sad:

It is easy to make full motorized outriggers if they are like 8421, or even 8460.

But those of the 8258 are very different : there is 2 different moves to make them down. Not to mention I have never seen (MOCs or official sets) a mechanism at the end of a telescopic part that can be controlled from the chassis. :sad:

It depends on how far they need to go down. As I described earlier, if it isn't too far, you can make them extend outward and come down simultaneously. The trick is to have two parallel telescoping bars on each outrigger that move out at different speeds. The top one should move out faster and further.

It depends on how far they need to go down. As I described earlier, if it isn't too far, you can make them extend outward and come down simultaneously. The trick is to have two parallel telescoping bars on each outrigger that move out at different speeds. The top one should move out faster and further.

Can you explain this a bit detailed, please.

I will present my new fully automated outriggers soon, and i am interesed in these setting.

Can you explain this a bit detailed, please.

I will present my new fully automated outriggers soon, and i am interesed in these setting.

I made a very rough MLCad drawing of what I mean, just showing the basic concept:

outrig.jpg

Both light gray beams should come out at the same time, but the top one should move slightly faster than the bottom one, with something like a 5:4 gear ratio. The stabilizer should be attached to the top beam near the gear, in the same way as is currently done on 8258. As the beams extend outwards, the displacement between them will make the gear turn, which will do the same thing as the manual knob gear in the model's existing mechanism.

This won't generate much downward force, but 8258's existing mechanism doesn't do that either. This should be pretty reliable as long as the beams are held in place securely in the truck's main chassis.

A similar kind of mechanism can be made the other way around, with the rack above the gear. In fact, that might actually work better since the gear would be pushing up against the rack when the outrigger is deployed and reduce the chances of slipping.

Edited by CP5670

That's a very good idea. But may be very though to build. :/

This won't generate much downward force, but 8258's existing mechanism doesn't do that either.

That's right for the rear outriggers.

On the contrary, the front ones are more "hard" to move, to go beyond the retreat point (sorry, I'm not sure that "retreat point" is the good word in English). :sceptic: