Sign in to follow this  
Yperio_Bricks

[POLL] Ships

How do you like to build your Lego Pirates Ships?  

36 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which type of sails to you prefer for your Lego Pirates ships?

• Plain cloth
    • Printed cloth
    • Brickbuild
    • Soft plastic
    • Paper 
    • Reefed sails (any type)
    • Other
    • No sails
  2. 2. Which type of hull to you prefer for your Lego Pirates ships?

• Brickbuild
    • Molded
    • A combination of both
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/23/24 at 03:00 PM

pollddfv2.jpg

Let's talk about ships! How do you like to build your Lego Pirates ships?

Do you prefer the classic large molded hull pieces or do you favor brickbuild hulls, using modern parts and techniques?

And what about sails? Printed cloth or plastic? Unprinted? Custom paper sails? Something else?

Tell us how your favorite ship looks like!

Some examples of ships using various hull techniques and sails:

webp

'Black Seas Barracuda Sets Sail for Its Next Adventure' by Krackenator4 on LEGO IDEAS

webp

'Imperial Ship - The Fighting Mermaid' by CaptainCJB on LEGO IDEAS

webp

'Small Imperial Brig "Swift"' by LM71Blackbird on LEGO IDEAS

21322_BI_01_01.jpg

21322: Pirates of Barracuda Bay Ship

31109_alt2.jpg

31109: Pirate Ship

10210-1.jpg?200910030422

10210: Imperial Flagship

Sorry to the person who already voted :pir-blush: I had to set up the thread again because i accidentally loaded two of the pictures as attachments and was unable to delete them.

I prefer plain cloth and printed cloth sails, though plastic sails also were an interesting idea (correct me if I be wrong - plastic sails were released for a short period during early 2010s, correct?). As for the hulls, I like the prefab hulls but brick built hulls offer many other possibilites when it comes to the general shape of the vessel. :pir-thumb:

12 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I prefer plain cloth and printed cloth sails, though plastic sails also were an interesting idea (correct me if I be wrong - plastic sails were released for a short period during early 2010s, correct?

Were those plastic sails similar to the surfboard sails?

6595-17.jpg

I am not sure if there ever was a pirate ship with plastic sails, but theoretically it would be possible. Maybe it was/is more common in other themes. Big dragons with plastic wings also come to my mind. Here are some examples of plastic sails from Ninjago, Friends and Star Wars:

71749-1.jpg?202101080358

41375-1.jpg?201905140825

75020-1.jpg?201302101020

On 4/10/2024 at 10:08 AM, SpacePolice89 said:

Were those plastic sails similar to the surfboard sails?

Not in terms of shape, I believe. In terms of material, most likely.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:01 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am not sure if there ever was a pirate ship with plastic sails

I think that LOTR Pirate ship had plastic sails, perhaps Imperial Flagship too? It is possible that I am confusing some things. :pir-look: One thing I know for certain is that few pirate flags were made from plastic around 2009 - 2011.

So far I only have one of those plastic pieces from a Star Wars set (see picture below). I guess I'd prefer cloth pieces and sails over the soft plastic. Somewhere I read it is vinyl, but I don't know for sure.

Anyway, in the poll I voted for plain cloth because personally I think the sail with printed stripes and skull and bones look unrealistic :pir_laugh2: Plain sail cloth is the best :thumbup:

26337.png

Printed cloth sails for me!

And hulls that are a combination of brick-built and molded.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:53 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Anyway, in the poll I voted for plain cloth because personally I think the sail with printed stripes and skull and bones look unrealistic :pir_laugh2: Plain sail cloth is the best :thumbup:

Would you consider the sails of the Imperial Flagship (set 10210) as printed? In my view LEGO striked the right balance between detailing on the sails and lavishly printed in this set.

7 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Would you consider the sails of the Imperial Flagship (set 10210) as printed? In my view LEGO striked the right balance between detailing on the sails and lavishly printed in this set.

I see what they were going for with these lines, but they are too bold for my liking. It's a rather strinking detail of the Imperial Flagship's sails, while i would prefer the seams blending in much better into the overall aesthetics of a (LEGO) ship. You see them, but you don't mind them, so to speak. Götheborg:

Gotheborg%20of%20Sweden%20coming%20to%20

On the topic of sails, how do paper sails work? I have no clue how to make custom sails and am going to try it with some paper and the 10210 sails on both sides. Atleast that's the plan. Any tips?

I see what you mean, Yperio. More translucent sails with the printing "on the back" so to speak.

Not really translucent. Even thick sail cloth becomes "translucent" when the sun is shining like in the picture of the Götheborg, but in case of LEGO simple unprinted cloth would do fine. Maybe not white but with the color of ivory. If i remember correctly i once read that people dye their custom sails with (black) tea. So they don't look brand new shiny white.