Question for LEGO Builders: What's Acceptable When Modifying Others' MOCs? 

Hey fellow LEGO enthusiasts! We all love building and customizing our own creations, but what's the etiquette when it comes to modifying someone else's MOC (My Own Creation)? Whether it's adding a personal touch, improving functionality, or just tweaking the design, where do we draw the line between inspiration and infringement?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic! Have you ever modified someone else's MOC? If so, what factors did you consider before making changes? And for those who've had their creations modified, how did you feel about it? Let's discuss and learn from each other's perspectives!

If you do take someone's MOC and modify it, how do you present this online?

Posted (edited)

I credit the original builder by mentioning them with a link to the original work. 

Although actually, if the modifications are really small, I don't share that creation online at all.

Edited by Sebeus I

I'm flattered when someone wants to build or modify my work, especially when I have worked so hard at it. I definitely expect to have my work credited to me. 

Yes, I give credit when I'm inspired by someone else's work, even when it is only a small but unique portion. 

Anything seems to be acceptable when we are modifying official sets (within accepted building techniques) so why should we treat MOC's any different? As long as credit is given to original designer then go for it. 

As a designer myself I think it would be ignorant to think my way of doing something in a model is the best way of doing it, so I am more than happy to see what other peoples ideas are. Take my Huayra as an example, which went to the next level when working with @astyanax, and when we released the instructions I even encouraged modifications in my short intro to the model. I think it is good to encourage creativity and putting your own spin on a model.

Personally I just finished modifying @Jeroen Ottens venom for the second time. The first attempt I had at it I didn't find satisfactory but this time I am quite pleased with it. The list of modifications now is huge... I rebuilt nearly the entire front end of the bodywork, rebuilt the rear bumper, lowered the rear suspension, redesigned the doors so they don't snag on the surrounding bodywork, changed the white interior to DBG, entirely new seats, strengthened the chassis in some parts, trans clear on the mirrors and other minor changes to other areas of the bodywork etc... I shared some photos and thoughts of my first attempt in the respective thread, but have been too lazy to do it this time. But this thread is good enough inspiration to take a couple photos of it.

Comparison Photos:

800x800.JPG800x800.JPG

New interior.

800x800.JPG