idlemarvel

Lego Powered Up Pocket Book

In case you don't visit the Technic forum, this is to let you know that I have written a reference book about Powered Up and the Powered Up app, now available as a paperback book or a free download. If you already know this skip the rest of this post.

The book covers the hardware and all the possible uses of the remote controller, but most of the book is about the Powered Up app. Anyone who has used Powered Up for a while will probably have worked out most of the content of this book for themselves, but if you are new I think this will help. Part of the content is an up to date reference list of all the programming blocks, and a how to guide for creating controllers and writing code, including the use of composite blocks. The PDF version also has a "behind the scenes" section where I delve into the file system (Android users only) and show how to backup and share projects, choose a different background for your controller, and add Lego provided widgets.

If this is of interest, as a Eurobricks member you can download the PDF version of the book for free.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MtdZ1WlGIgX0CnWeN6JODX6r0i_gZte1/view 

If you prefer a hardcopy you can now buy the paperback book version on Amazon. This is a link to the Amazon UK listing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Powered-Up-Pocket-Book/dp/B0CYQ6DKM1/

If you click on Read Sample you can see the contents and a few other pages. It should be available world-wide now, costs approximately UK £11, US $14, EU €13 plus P&P.

Thanks for reading this far, possibly again(!), Dave

@idlemarvel thanks for sharing! Really extensive work. I would almost buy an Android phone :) Is part 2 going to be on the Raspberry Pi?!

This is wonderful!  It is absolutely what LEGO should have published themselves.  Thank-you for doing this!

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

@idlemarvel thanks for sharing! Really extensive work. I would almost buy an Android phone :) Is part 2 going to be on the Raspberry Pi?!

Thanks! I know next to nothing about Raspberry Pi so probably best I don't write a book about it!

1 hour ago, UltraViolet said:

This is wonderful!  It is absolutely what LEGO should have published themselves.  Thank-you for doing this!

Thank you. I agree Lego should have done this themselves years ago.

43 minutes ago, idlemarvel said:

Thanks! I know next to nothing about Raspberry Pi so probably best I don't write a book about it!

There was a time when that was the same for me :)

3 hours ago, idlemarvel said:

Thank you. I agree Lego should have done this themselves years ago

Dave - EB does not appreciate cross posting!!! :pir-love:

So, it took about less than an hour, to get this pinned in the TrainTech forum. Over at the Technic forum, they still discuss what to do ... man. What is this?

PoweredUp is so "Technic" - "they" have the servos, the tacho M, L motors, the Spike and the boom bang what not - and here we have the totally dumb train motor, using about 5% of the brain of PUp hubs ... yes I know, trains can be powered with smart motors as well. Not the point.

What I find sort of funny: This fantastic document you compiled, this beautiful "how-to" do PUp post - just goes down the drain in the Technic forum - drowned by supercars, backhoes, cranes ... and still there is so much whining about how bad PUp is over there.

And here on TrainTech ... folks, read that document @idlemarvel has composed!

@JopieK thank you so much for pinning that topic (OK, my guess ...)!

All the best,
Thorsten   

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Dave - EB does not appreciate cross posting!!! :pir-love:

Yes @Toastie sorry about that but clearly some people had not seen it :pir-sweet:

I echo your thanks to @JopieK

On 3/23/2024 at 10:14 PM, Toastie said:

All the best,
Thorsten   

You're welcome ;)

Wow! - really excellent, thank you very much for putting this together.

13 hours ago, Selander said:

Excellent stuff ! Very well done @idlemarvel

3 hours ago, Riggar said:

Wow! - really excellent, thank you very much for putting this together.

Thank you both. I enjoyed doing the research and I enjoy writing so it was a good way for me to spend the winter months!

Great work, kudos! 

Once fxbricks has published the power pick ups I'll carefully open the pup door. 

Best

Owh this is cool! Certainly gonna give it a read! Thnx for posting.