Sign in to follow this  
Vendral24

Building the A4 Recordbreaker train (8 wide)

Hi all, for those who have followed my A4 Mallard project previously on Lego Ideas (and posted here), unfortunately it fell just short of the 5k mark and expired. I’ve resubmitted the idea as a full consist ‘Recordbreaker’ train including an A4 Mallard, Dynamometer Car, and 2 Coronation carriages based on its 1938 run. It’s a big model (each part is approx. 50cm long) and due to the 3000 piece count limit I am still working on putting interiors in.

Thanks to those who’ve provided feedback and helped improve the model along the way.

I am aware that the Lego train wheels are a bit small for this size model so based on previous advice I’ve shortened the engine to force perspective a bit. (I have big ben wheels now to modify the model I'm building to better represent the size).

The train has been motorised with an XL motor in the engine and battery in tender. It runs well, but ironically won’t set any speed records. Looking at other options – maybe motorising a carriage as well.

I’ve built a prototype of the Dynamometer car now as well. The Coronation coaches are next.

Unfortunately, I am having to make a lot of substitutions as some of the parts my digital model used are not available from Lego, are no longer in production or have never been produced.

I understand the whole Orient Express stage has fractured the train community’s willingness to support anything there so if that’s your position I understand and no need to remind me! I hope that a train, based on a very specific historical event, would have a better chance of remaining consistent with the fan design.

For those who would rather see this as a Bricklink Designer Program submission, the limitations in that pallet mean I’d have to redesign substantially so currently not an option.

I’d love your support for the train on Lego ideas. Thanks to those who have previously supported.

Lego Ideas A4 Mallard Recordbreaker

53593052354_692df5b77d_b.jpg

53592938968_5e5e03ca31_b.jpg

53593180590_5ac7cccf8b_b.jpg

53593180600_0a918bb1ae_b.jpg

Wow! That's quite the Mallard recreation. The A4 locomotive and the dynometer car both look spot on to my last visit to the National Railway Museum. Supported.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:23 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Wow! That's quite the Mallard recreation. The A4 locomotive and the dynometer car both look spot on to my last visit to the National Railway Museum. Supported.

Thanks very much - means alot to know i am getting close to the mark. Appreciate your support. Was beginning to think i'd offended the Eurobricks community given the views and lack of responses!

8 hours ago, Vendral24 said:

...Was beginning to think i'd offended the Eurobricks community given the views and lack of responses!

Don't beat yourself up about it. I suspect people couldn't think of anything to say as it is an almost perfect model and one of the quirks of this forum is you can't just press a "like" button!

Supported your model last week. I really love your interpretation of this iconic steam engine. I will not be surprised if you reach 10K club 😄

Though, unfortunately, it seems to have gotten easier and easier over the years resulting in many 10K builds to become rejected...

I've also added my support. I absolutely love the color scheme on those last two coaches.

Supported! 

Man how much I wish lego would go back to creator expert to more appropriately have logical series. Their icons series is just a big mash of "one set here, one set there, oh another license over there too" and the perceived inflation of large and/or licensed sets is really driving down my interest. Haven't even built the OE, just 1.5 years ago I'd have devoured a new adult train from lego. 

Great work!! 

Beautiful model and so well detailed. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we can buy this train set next year.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:32 AM, Nikonissen said:

Supported your model last week. I really love your interpretation of this iconic steam engine. I will not be surprised if you reach 10K club 😄

Though, unfortunately, it seems to have gotten easier and easier over the years resulting in many 10K builds to become rejected...

Thank you very much - surprisingly reaching 10k is really hard still - but I think this is more the case for trains then some other categories. My first attempt fell just short of halfway - but I am hopeful of gaining that milestone alot earlier - if not, this project wont hit the milestone. I've contacted the National Railway Museum to see if they want to help out with social media (given its the Mallard's 90th birthday next year). 

On 3/24/2024 at 7:09 PM, idlemarvel said:

Don't beat yourself up about it. I suspect people couldn't think of anything to say as it is an almost perfect model and one of the quirks of this forum is you can't just press a "like" button!

Thank you! Guess I let the best of my anxiety get the better of me.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:42 AM, Phil B said:

I've also added my support. I absolutely love the color scheme on those last two coaches.

Thank you! I tried to replicate the coach colour from a Hornby coronation coach - its Dark azure and light aqua, with flat silver in the stripe. I'm working on trying to build them - the available pieces in aqua is quote limiting.

On 3/25/2024 at 7:05 PM, Man with a hat said:

Love it. The A4 look really good, but the cars are exquisite! :wub:

Thank you! Much appreciate the feedback!

15 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

Supported! 

Man how much I wish lego would go back to creator expert to more appropriately have logical series. Their icons series is just a big mash of "one set here, one set there, oh another license over there too" and the perceived inflation of large and/or licensed sets is really driving down my interest. Haven't even built the OE, just 1.5 years ago I'd have devoured a new adult train from lego. 

Great work!! 

I agree entirely - Icons is a great overarching theme - but they could still bunch sets as sub-themes within. I've bought the OE and also haven't built it. If I am entirely honest, i'm enjoying building my own things more these days. Thanks for your support!

12 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

What a beautiful train :wub:

Thank you very much - very kind!

11 hours ago, MrTjips said:

Beautiful model and so well detailed. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we can buy this train set next year.

Thank you so much - will see how the voting goes. I fear that some don't wish to go near Lego Ideas these days unfortunately. I'd love for this to be available next year as part of the 90th birthday celebrations.