StudWorks

Am the only guy here with limited fictional media taste?

Hello! I am a 22-year-old LEGO builder on the spectrum, I build mostly cars but I am also a fan of fantasy media and like building stuff from my favorite franchises.

I only like fiction media where anything taking in the real world is relatively realistic (like The Office, with no superheroes, time machines, aliens, etc) and anything in a fictional high fantasy world (a closed fantasy world like Middle Earth, not something "isekai") can happen since it has no relation to the real world.

Because of this, I feel like the only nerd who's only into a single fictional genre with very specific tastes. For example, 99% of Star Wars fans I see (something I like) are also into Marvel and superheroes (something I dislike), and whenever I see someone's LEGO MOC collection, it looks like they're practically into every movie/game series ever made! :oh:

This had made it incredibly difficult for me to be myself and find friends who I can relate to, and has made the idea of attending a Comic-Con or anime convention seem impossible :cry_sad: so I was wondering if anybody else here feels the same or know people that feel the same.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, StudWorks said:

For example, 99% of Star Wars fans I see (something I like) are also into Marvel and superheroes (something I dislike), and whenever I see someone's LEGO MOC collection, it looks like they're practically into every movie/game series ever made! :oh:

I am a Star Wars fan and i have no interest in Marvel or superheroes! I never saw a single movie from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I like Game of Thrones, because for the most part the fantasy elements play a minor role and i like the diverse characters, politics and medieval world. Only later dragons and the like become more important in the series. On the other hand, i never saw a LotR movie!

When it comes to Lego my focus is on Star Wars and Pirates. And when it comes to Lego pirates i am more a fan of the realistic stuff, like fleshie minifigs and realistic buildings etc. Even as a kid in the 80s and 90s i was always inspired by histroy and aimed to create a realistic Lego world when playing.

20 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I am a Star Wars fan and i have no interest in Marvel or superheroes! I never saw a single movie from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I like Game of Thrones, because for the most part the fantasy elements play a minor role and i like the diverse characters, politics and medieval world. Only later dragons and the like become more important in the series. On the other hand, i never saw a LotR movie!

When it comes to Lego my focus is on Star Wars and Pirates. And when it comes to Lego pirates i am more a fan of the realistic stuff, like fleshie minifigs and realistic buildings etc. Even as a kid in the 80s and 90s i was always inspired by histroy and aimed to create a realistic Lego world when playing.

Cool! We have similar taste. :wink:

Posted (edited)

I collect pretty much no licensed stuff for the figures or IP, I think my only licensed minifig would be a minecraft steve from a polybag. (and 2 Star Wars figs from 1999 and Zidane from 2000 but those are yellow so not very different from non-licensed)

Speed Champions cars could be considered licensed too, I only have 2, from before they switched to 8 wide (detailed but not my thing, especially with the recent price jump to €27, where before you could get a single car for €15, and still can now with the 2023 Land Rover and now this 2024 Harry Potter car, and recent City had  2 Speed Champion sized cars for €20 with the 2024 Police Chase.

I think a potential licensed purchase this year would be the Harry Potter Ford Anglia set, but mainly because it's just a nice 6 wide car sold seperately this time. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Posted (edited)

To be honest I just love the heroes journey and good writing. I am no fan of fantasy, western, sci-fi, super heroes or any other theme/genre. What I love is spread across them all and so is the selection of minifigures and Mocs in my collection.

I also would not call being a Star Wars fan specific. The clone Wars series, the republic Commando book series, the Star wars kotor-Video games... those are so different from each other that the fact all of them include blasters and lightsabers is pretty much irrelevant. 

It should not be difficult to be yourself and find people you can relate to, if you are open to them. Most of my friends have different interests, but we share some and can focus on those. I also enjoy their passion for stuff and vice versa even if it is not each others cup of tea. For example I dislike most about the Warhammer 40k Lore and designs, but I can still appreciate the love and craftsmanship that many people put into their models and talk about their painting techniques even if i dislike the model.

Edited by Gorilla94