Sign in to follow this  
BrynnOfCastlegate

[SPC] Cat B - Hover Raft

Here is my entry for the Space Pirates contest: the Hover Raft. Instead of pirates, we have Spyrates (because it is Spyrius themed :pir_laugh2:).

Hover%20Raft%202.jpg

Three bold Spyrates sail their raft through space in search of plunder. Two crew members wield a handheld laser cannon and a sabre torch, whilst the charming droid captain gives commands, accompanied by his robo-parrot, P011-y. Will the Spyrates find the treasure? Follow the captain's treasure datacard to find out. 01011000 marks the spot!

Some more views:

Hover%20Raft%20Front.jpg

Hover%20Raft%20Rear%202.jpg

Hover%20Raft%20Rear.jpg

As you may have guessed, this is based on 6257 Castaway's Raft. I tried to keep a similar profile and simplicity of design. I did turn the shark into a parrot, though!

6257-1.png

I hope you like it!

Nice merging of classic pirates and Spyrius themes. All it needs is the space shark with a laser.

Great remake with a small amount of parts, those space wheels are perfect!

Immediately, I know exactly which set this is representing. I feel that that is (or should be) a key attribute for this contest category. It fully captures the Spyrius aesthetic too, and feels Space Piratey. The way you've used balloon-type wheels to resemble hovercraft tubes, unfortunately makes it look like they actually ARE wheels for a vehicle, as such it kinda seems like the symmetrical details are sideways. I'd like the 'front' to have actually been the longer edge in that case, and it then becomes a trundling 'raft' ground vehicle. The alternative would be to somehow add wings or something, to stop the wheel pieces looking like they are actual wheels. It just reminds me too much of the Spyrius robots that roll along on front-facing wheels to see straight away that it's meant to be a flyer. Maybe also having 2 guys facing the side in the main photo greatly encouraged my misperception.

But I like this one, and the good old space grid background is always cool.